Deerfield Academy Matriculation Data Now Hidden by School!?

<p>Does anyone have the college matriculation statistics (new) from Deerfield Academy? It looks like they decided to stop publishing that information in their viewbook and on their website - just generic list of certain number of acceptances or matriculates or above but no individual numbers life Colgate (4) Middlebury (6) etc.? Does anyone have this information or have they decided to hide it from now on? Does this mean their placement numbers are getting worse relative to their peers? </p>

<p>The website has two lists: schools at which '13’s matriculated and schools at which five or more '09, 10, 11,12, & 13’s matriculated. Current format appears to be consistent with recent years at least as it’s CEEB profile is concerned. While not as granular as some others, is it your observation that DA’s reporting practice has changed?</p>

<p>Hi - I noticed the same exact thing. The college matriculation list on the latest version of DA’s profile only lists the schools that students attended, not the number. I called the DA’s admissions office a few weeks ago prior to the revisit date and asked for a more detailed breakdown. They faxed me a copy of the complete matriculation list for the class of 2013. PM if interested in seeing it, or just call admissions they will gladly send it to you.</p>

<p>One other point: I don’t this was deliberate deception on DA’s part. I think it was an honest mistake. I looked at the class of 2013 placement at DA and it is indeed impressive: 23% of the class enrolled in an ivy, 33% ivy plus (Duke, U Chicago, MIT, etc).</p>

<p>I’m sure no deception was intended. If anything, perhaps providing matriculation information in a more general format is helping DA suss out those families who are Ivy- and Ivy-plus driven, a pool many of these schools are trying to avoid like the plague. If those who ask for that detail can be identified, it gives the school one piece of information that may be helpful during the admission process to help them avoid PITA later during college counseling time. Just sayin’.</p>

<p>“a pool many of these schools are trying to avoid like the plague”…very possibly!</p>

<p>i don’t think it’s a mistake. i think they are intentionally no longer providing matriculation data with numbers of students attending. it’s easier for a number of reasons. they don’t have to worry about unsuccessful years (i.e. less students matriculating at top tier colleges), and they can rest on their laurels. but, i think in the long run, if they continue to deliberately not provide data or make it more difficult to access college matriculation data, it will hurt them because all of their competitors do. it is now one of the only top boarding schools not to provide matriculation data in basic publication materials, which is a big move. why would you want to discourage families who want their student to get into the college of their choice? what’s wrong with going to an ivy league school or wanting to? why would they want to discourage those students from attending?</p>

<p>“suss out those families who are Ivy- and Ivy-plus driven, a pool many of these schools are trying to avoid like the plague.”</p>

<p>Are you sure?</p>

<p>I have seen first hand how BS administration proudly tout the numerous students they matriculate at the ivies (at the receptions). And ivy matriculation now a days wont happen without both a driven student and family.</p>

<p>My point being that the cost of maintaing a high ivy matriculation rate will come at the expense of having to deal with many PITA parents. Since no elite BS will consciously compromise their ivy matriculation rates “sussing out” these families is an exercise in futility.</p>

<p>Sharp - I do think there are many parents and students, maybe even a majority, who are repelled by the Ivy-or-bust mentality. It’s one thing to want your child to work hard and reach for the stars, it’s another thing to micro-manage that reach, de-emphasize the importance of happiness in your child’s development, and tell the kid that the only stars worth reaching are the Ivies. I can’t stand being around people like this and I have always felt sad watching their kids get jammed into unnatural shapes. So, I gotta agree with Choatie, these folks are a pox on a healthy school environment, devoutly to be avoided.</p>

<p>I looked at Deerfield matriculation list and it is full of fantastic colleges that kids like me would die to get into. I don’t see the point of OP to create this thread. OP, What are you debating? Do you not like the colleges on the list? Try getting into those colleges and let’s see what you will find.</p>

<p>@Parlabane‌ - I am not disagreeing these folks can be a PITA. But PITA parents are certainly not limited to the ivy-obsessed. My point is that it is silly to think the top schools are setting up deliberate filters to keep the ivy-obsessed out. They know it comes with the territory and they will continue to successfully deal with them, as they have for years.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is insulting to parents paying $$200K+ after tax dollars and expecting results. Do boarding schools want a signed blank check with no expectations? Education seems to be the only industry where customers come last!!</p>

<p>Boarding schools “guarantee” rigorous academic preparation for any college or university; they don’t guarantee an admission result for any particular student. They provide everything a student needs to be successful in college, but the burden is on the student to take advantage of what is offered to make themselves attractive to the colleges they are interested in.</p>

<p>College admissions decisions are made by colleges not boarding schools. Boarding schools’ reputations for preparing students to succeed in higher education is the “customer service” they provide. Colleges know what a <bs x=""> education means. They don’t need to dig too deep to understand the attractiveness of a candidate who has already lived away from home and done well in a known, competitive academic environment. In that sense, BS is also providing a service to colleges by sending them highly qualified, pre-vetted applicants.</bs></p>

<p>Ultimately, college matriculation is a by-product of the service boarding schools provide. It is not THE product. After many years of consistently preparing students exceptionally well for college and colleges benefitting from these strong students, the BS matriculation lists naturally begin to show the correlation between the strong academic preparation (service) boarding schools provide and the types of colleges that are eager to admit students who have benefitted from these programs. The lists are long; all of the colleges are good.</p>

<p>Boarding schools are not selling college results; they are selling the means for students to be successful at the colleges they apply to. Those who think they are buying entrance to a particular college or limited list of colleges are those most likely to be disappointed because they have brought expectations to the transaction that the BS never indicated it would or could fulfill.</p>

<p>Many come to this board and say, “well if BS isn’t going to help me get into <lotteryschoolx>, why would I spend the money?” This question shows a basic misunderstanding of the boarding school product and is at the heart of the frustration over a matriculation list format doesn’t help the potential customer buy what the school is not selling.</lotteryschoolx></p>

<p>with what parents are investing in their kids education and the ridiculously high tuition for Deerfield, the least the school can do is be up front about all of the information they have to offer including placement. It’s up to the parents and potential students how they use that information, but it should be made available. sometimes it is a goal of a student that has an interest in a particular college to attend there, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Students should have the choice to consider matriculation data (i.e. actual numbers not five or more attended the following or at least one student attended the following, which means absolutely nothing fyi) as one of the many factors of picking a school because boarding school is not the end of their education. almost all of these students eventually go to college so they should have a clear idea about how students place.</p>

<p>I don’t understand why anyone thinks Deerfield is hiding their matriculation details. I found this pretty easily:</p>

<p>Colleges most attended colleges between 2009-2013:
Dartmouth
Yale
Princeton
Middlebury
Georgetown</p>

<p>If one goes to the college advising section of the DA website the school profile is there for all to see. It didn’t seem anymore difficult to find on the Deerfield website than any other school I’ve searched for the same information. Am I missing something?</p>

<p>Deerfield also had college listing information in their viewbook a year or two ago. I haven’t seen a more recent view book so I don’t know if that is still the case or not.</p>

<p>Any one has a link to Phillips Academy Class of 2014 College Listings? I couldn’t find it on their website.</p>

<p>@rosie19 Class of 2014 college listing is not finalized.</p>

<p>How big is the typical senior class at DA? 150-200 maybe? If 5 or more attended the colleges on the list it shouldn’t be that hard to figure out.</p>