Naviance Access

I doubt that very much.

What are you trying to deduce? Boarding schools do not send students to particular colleges. They prepare them well for whichever colleges they choose to attend, but the colleges do the selecting. This is why most of the boarding schools stopped preparing the type of matriculation list you are asking for. They are trying to help prospective students and families avoid drawing erroneous conclusions or making false comparisons.

For example, if you knew that Yale appears to accept a disproportionately higher number of Choate students than another BS, would you conclude that Choate does a better job of “sending” students to Yale? That would be an incorrect conclusion. Those matriculation numbers are misleading because of the number of Yale faculty children who attend Choate due to its proximity to the college. Or, would you look at the number of students from BS X, BS Y, and BS Z who go on to attend College A and try to deduce which school is best for your child if your child wants to attend College A or one like it? It doesn’t work that way; those individual numbers would tell you absolutely nothing about your child’s chances from that school for ANY particular university. And that is the type of error the boarding schools are trying to avoid by not providing data that cannot provide that insight.

I have commented on this topic before, but I love how @PhotographerMom says it every year:

Go to all the “Top” 20-25 BS websites. Print all the matriculation lists and remove the name of the school at the top. Next- mix them up well and throw them up in the air and let them fall to the ground. Now scoop them up and try to identify the school or tell them apart. Let me know how you make out. :wink:

You can read her full post here.

You cannot judge or compare boarding schools by exactly how many students from each attend individual colleges. It IS useful to see a list of colleges where, say, three or more students have chosen to matriculate in the past five years as that gives you a sense of what a good job a BS does in preparing its students to be attractive to a range of colleges and the types of colleges its students have preferred in the recent past. Remember, boarding schools are selling a stellar high school education, not particular college results. Every single boarding school discussed on this forum prepares each and every one of its students to be successful in college, and that is what you’re paying for and why you choose to allow your child to attend one.

There was a discussion a while back on this subject when Deerfield went to a more generalized matriculation list that you may want to read.

3 Likes