How can we debunk the HADES myth?

<p>Can we please think of a better acronym that is more inclusive of many other good schools? Quite honestly, I really don't see why Choate and Lawrenceville (and others like Taft and Loomis) are not included in this acronym of elite boarding schools. And, Hotchkiss -- really? I think that this might be a case where the clever acronym spelling out "Hades" excludes some good schools and includes some OK schools. </p>

<p>Secondly, what is so great about these schools? The HYPSM placement is in a large part due to student selection, students that would end up there anyway. I was unimpressed with Andover compared to Choate and Exeter and think that they are coasting on reputation and momentum created by student selection and having an awesome college like campus. The quality of the education does not seem exceptional in my opinion and they are in a situation where the students offer more to the school than the other way around.</p>

<p>We need to stop perpetuating the myth of inherent excellence of these selective schools and instead expect these schools to earn their reputation.</p>

<p>

This has been covered before at great length.</p>

<p><a href=“HADES v PHLEGMS - Prep School Admissions - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/1628641-hades-v-phlegms.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“non-HADES only, please! - Prep School Admissions - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/1452319-non-hades-only-please.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“If HADES is the BS equivalent of HYP+MS... - Prep School Parents - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-parents/1332717-if-hades-is-the-bs-equivalent-of-hyp-ms.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>among many others.</p>

<p>Thanks, Heartburner, I certainly agree. A long time ago, a kid posting on CC conjured up that acronym, and it took off with a life of its own.
The way people compare these schools is like splitting hairs, in many cases. There are so SO many truly excellent schools out there, and no two are exactly alike. It is always interesting to read the admit stats thread after March 10. Look at some of the older ones. You’ll see, for example, kids who got into Exeter, but not into Hotchkiss or Choate. There is no magic formula and it drives me nuts to hear people stressing over whether they will get into A&E because their SSAT score was “only” 92%. A few points more will NOT determine your fate. No matter how many times it is said, people just don’t want to believe that schools are building a class of diverse kids, not just looking at the very top numbers. You’d better not just be a great student, but an interesting human, and someone who would bring something special to the school’s community.<br>
Please, people… if you really want to have the boarding school experience, do yourselves a favor and cast a wide net, and don’t just look at the big brand name schools. There are SO many Hidden Gems that are truly wonderful schools. And if you’re not open and willing to look beyond the Big Several, come M10, you’ll never know what you might be missing. </p>

<p>Ok - yes its been covered. Although I think that my about the quality of the education/educational experience is often overlooked while SSAT scores/acceptance rates are assumed to translate directly to this remains valid. I like the Hidden Gems post from a while back.</p>

<p>Let’s not forget the classic:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-parents/1251453-ban-the-term-hades-p1.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-parents/1251453-ban-the-term-hades-p1.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>;)</p>

<p>And, while we’re at it, can we toss HYPSM as well? When I discovered that the “M” did not stand for “Michigan,” that acro lost all it’s meaning.</p>

<p>Top BS admission is a game, well played by some schools.</p>

<ol>
<li>Children of famous people - they get into top schools anyways.</li>
<li>Rich people with potential for big donations</li>
<li>Ivy faculty children where their admission is guaranteed</li>
<li>Recruitable Athletes</li>
<li>Math and Science Prodigies (Olympiad level), Carnegie Hall Musicians</li>
<li>Ghetto people with life stories</li>
<li>Many Good kids with middle class background get on the wailist/reject pile.</li>
</ol>

<p>Once you know the admission story, it is easy to see the value add from these schools.
Moral of the story: Go to a good public school and save a bundle.</p>

<p>Go SMEGMA!!!</p>

<p>Really, GMT? Again?</p>

<p>Why not just call them the “most popular” schools… as we all know “popular” has more than one connotation… :smiley: </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It did when I was in high school.</p>

<p>

@Choatie, if we’re going to elevate schools to mystical status bcs of a stupid acronym, then why not? At least the smeg schools have some rational basis for their elite grouping: the highest SSAT scores.</p>

<p>GMT: Just busting your chops for crossing the line again.</p>

<p>But, I totally agree on the stupidity of the acros, especially those that don’t include a “C.” ;)</p>

<p>My school’s #1, and yours is, too! </p>

<p>Some people need to put things in baskets, and the acronyms facilitate that. I think they’d do it anyway? </p>

<p>Guilty secret: I like HADES. It’s a great acronym because it conjures up all the angst and despair that is part of the application process. SMEGMA, on the other hand…ish. :)</p>

<p>In any case, weirdly, I can no longer even remember what all the letters stand for in either (I come up with Slytherin for the S, and that just can’t be right, though maybe it should be) , so my take is that the acronym wars were largely much ado about nothing. </p>

<p>St. Paul’s School! There it is! And my son even applied there…</p>

<p>@classicalmama Okay, now there has to be a new game in the cafe: sort schools into Hogwarts houses!</p>