M10 Freakout Thread 2016

This new freakout thread has been based off of @A08842 's 2015 thread and its precursors. It’s a bit early, but panic does not wait, after all!

But before we throw ourselves into an onslaught of worrying, I do have a request: Anyone who chooses to participate must refrain from saying anything too revealing. I trust many of the CCers to be respectful and polite, but mistakes can happen.

Without further ado, here is the new freakout thread!

No. No. No. Not yet.

Prep school shouldn’t rule your life. Go outside. Read a book. Play guitar. Write a novel. Compose a symphony. Learn a new language. Memorize the countries in Africa. Braid your hair. Walk your dog. Walk your cat. Walk your fish. Prep school might change your life, but it doesn’t have to be in charge of it.

@stargirl3 Thank you for that–I made this thread for the future, but in retrospect, it’s early. Like, way too early. So again, thank you, and I’ll keep all of those suggestions in mind (;

There are so much to freakout before worrying about M10, such as your Fall grade and Winter/Spring midterms.

We just got ds’s applications finished and submitted. They were such a crazy amount of work! But we learned a lot about the process (had never applied to private schools before) so at least we can take that experience with us. This whole process is so stressful!

Surely having been through it will make the college app process easier, right? There must be a silver lining even if M10 brings disappointing news. I have to think that.

@stracciatella The whole application process takes a huge toll on everyone, so you’re not alone when it comes to that. And I’m sure this process will help in college applications, or make it easier, at least.

I’ve found it hard to think optimistically about the whole situation, even if there are good experiences I can gain from something like this.

Well, I guess we have to sit back and wait.

@stracciatella:

(Disclaimer: This may sound awfully cheesy).

As someone who was an applicant for last year’s cycle (M10 Freakout of 2015) and rejected from the schools I applied to, I can wholeheartedly say that the silver lining throughout all of the stress and anxiety was the unforgettable experience. I met a lot of great people and friends, traveled to the East Coast for the first time, received a completely new perspective of how my future would look like, and discovered much about my strengths and weaknesses as a person. I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything. The application process may seem tiresome and stressful now, but I assure you that it will all be worth it in the end, regardless if March 10 brings good or disappointing news. :slight_smile:

@minimalist: Good luck on your applications! I remember how nerve-wracking the time period from January to March was for me last year. I know it’s tough, but try to remain optimistic and somewhat hopeful for the future as the decision is out of your hands now. You put your best self out there for the schools to see, and if they fail to see that, it’s their loss! :slight_smile:

@thelittleswimmer Your message was anything but cheesy, and I can’t thank you enough for the little boost of reassurance. You seem like such an inspiring and great person, and any school would have been lucky to have someone as genial and kind as you are. If you don’t mind me asking, will you be reapplying?

While we will be disappointed if we don’t get in anywhere, the experience itself was incredibly illuminating. It will be a painful life lesson for this kid but worth it either way.

I am optimistic for daughter’s future as she can retry next year if she doesn’t get in any. She will be writing better essays for sure.

While we would be thrilled for DS should he be accepted at any of the schools to which he has applied, this process has been really special in that I feel through this process I have learned more about DS, what he cares about, what he thinks about and who is becoming. I loved all the schools visits and time we got to spend together. There is always next year as well!

The process is a lot more work than I expected. We visited schools last spring, went to several receptions and open houses, and then went again for interviews and second tours. DC prepped for SSATs, prepped for interviews, started brainstorming essays in summer, and got all the app.s done in time. Just the myriad websites and assorted protocols for EC submissions, and requesting recc.s and such were time consuming. But DC never flagged and applied to 7 schools.

Thank goodness, we have good day options. Moreover, we tend to believe that the day options have a silver lining; DC would probably have a much higher rank there than at the elite schools to which DC applies, which may well help in college.

That said, how can one not fall in love with these wonderful schools? The gorgeous campuses, the amazing kids, the unusual opportunities and experiences and exposures? They are not utopias of course, but they are pretty special. I don’t know if we have the energy to freak out for nearly 2 months, but it may come to that!

But i have always told DC this: just by entering into this process… the work that it takes … the record that one needs to be considered … you have greatly distinguished yourself. The BS applicant pool is a talented bunch that aims high and works hard, be they the rejects, the waitlisted or the accepted. In the end, they will ALL do more than fine.

Additionally, someone’s circumstances shouldn’t dictate that person’s future/career pathway/high school experience. I mean, it really doesn’t! It depends on whether or not that someone decides to utilize the opportunities given by the circumstances he/she was set in.

Thus, an acceptance/rejection shouldn’t dictate one’s future/career pathway/high school experience, and it wouldn’t. I know one applicant who has applied to many great schools, but was rejected from all of them. She fell down a path of laziness and procrastination, which was clearly evident when her grades were shown. However, I also know a student who goes to Phillips Andover, but struggles to be socially adept (to an extent where her mother must travel across the country to support her). These are two totally different circumstances, but similar issues. While these two students I have discussed will undoubtedly make their marks in the world, it still comes to show that someone’s actions really define an experience.

In conclusion, we shouldn’t let an acceptance or rejection define us, but our actions in response to the decisions should.

well - I just completed last application and visit - I did not apply to the HADES schools - applied to a lot of the schools in NJ/ Eastern PA area - now I am starting to worry

@Rathgar Yes, now that the stress of applications, interviews, and recalcitrant teachers not submitting their recommendations is gone, a new, bigger form of anxiety has taken its place. How did you like the schools you visited?

I liked all of them - although I am not looking to board and I am sure that may be an issue at the schools that are boarding / day. Do these particular schools have trouble finding boarders?

Did this all just last year. Now again this year for DC2…I can honestly say it’s easier waiting as a newbie :slight_smile:

@Rathgar No, BS’s do not have trouble finding boarders for their schools. On the contrary, there are more boarding students than day students at most schools. I would honestly call this an advantage because going as a day student would require less money and thus less need for FA, but don’t consider that fact.

@itcannotbetrue Would you say that it’s less nerve-wracking? Did the process run any smoother for you and your child?