Mad Men and Don Draper meet their end

Couldn’t find last years’ thread to tag onto so starting new one.

Next Sunday April 5 is the final go around for Don and the boys and girls.

Will Don be that guy we have been seeing falling in the credits since 2007?

Here’s an interesting article about Don over the years with an interview with John Hamm. Check out the beard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/arts/television/as-mad-men-comes-to-an-end-jon-hamm-reflects-on-don-draper.html?_r=0

And an interview with Matt Weiner and Kiernan Shipka, Sally Draper, about growing up on the show, from 6 to 15. It made me think how much younger my own kids were when the show started. Of course, as it turns out, I’ll be visiting my daughter who is studying abroad–13 when the show started, now a college junior–when the very last episode airs May 17. She says she has her ways to watch American TV. Hope I don’t have to spend two weeks avoiding spoilers before I get home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/fashion/growing-up-on-mad-men-a-conversation-with-matthew-weiner-and-kiernan-shipka.html?action=click&contentCollection=Television&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

I hear the agency gets bought out by a bigger firm, McMann and Tate

I used to love that show.

I liked the first few seasons. I stopped watching.

Just got Netflix a couple of months ago and our first binge-watch was House of Cards, followed by Mad Men. I was glad that they just released the first half of the new season, and will probably watch it on TV for the second half. Commercials, boo.

I plan to catch up on it. Lost interest a while ago. Want to see the series, and while sad its ending, admit I didn’t watch past the beginning. And glad Jon Hamm got help in real life.

I still think Mad Men is wonderful, but you have to be willing to put up with a few slow going episodes near the beginning of each season before things start to snap, crackle, & pop near the end. Looking forward to seeing the last 7 play out.

Any Mad Men fans in NYC (or planning to visit NYC in the next couple months who don’t mind trekking out to Queens) – this exhibit was fabulous. http://www.movingimage.us/exhibitions/2015/03/14/detail/matthew-weiners-mad-men/

Son got us to binge watch it on Netflix this summer. Just watched the first episodes of Season 7 this week to be on track for Sunday. I very much miss the old show. Really lost interest in the later and this season, but looking forward to seeing how things play out.

Nice long interview with Matthew Weiner in a place not many people will look, Tablet Magazine. [url=<a href=“http://tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/189561/qa-mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-talks-la-jews-and-the-american-dream?utm_source=tabletmagazinelist&utm_campaign=4e0a8a225a-Friday_April_3_20154_3_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c308bf8edb-4e0a8a225a-206793253%5DHere.%5B/url”>http://tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/189561/qa-mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-talks-la-jews-and-the-american-dream?utm_source=tabletmagazinelist&utm_campaign=4e0a8a225a-Friday_April_3_20154_3_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c308bf8edb-4e0a8a225a-206793253]Here.[/url]

I watched it but still need to read a recap. I always forget the status of the agency, their accounts etc.

Ken has gotten the short end so many times. I loved seeing him get to come out the winner with his new position.

^ Me too. “It’s worse: I’m your client. And I must warn you, I am very difficult to please.” Go Ken!

I had mixed emotions about the episode, which I thought was very well written, mainly because I think the show “ended” in essence a while back, maybe when Don brought his kids to see the whorehouse where he lived. And now he talks about those days, a little sanitized by referring to “boarders”, as the kind of interesting story you share that makes you human.

As usual, there were many references to the past and repetitions within the episode. The waitress Diane looks like so many other dark haired women, from his birth mother to his stepmother Abigail to Midge to Bobbie Barrett to Sylvia and so on. Loaded with Freud. And further loaded by the fact Abigail was such a judgmental shrew who hates Don for being a son of a prostitute with his father and who ends up in Mac’s whorehouse and emphasize in this episode by Diane taking Roger’s tip as future payment for sex to be delivered.

And that of course ties to the treatment of women in the episode. The absurd sexual harassment of Peggy and Joan. The leering ad executives watching models play at being sexy dressed in little more than a fur coat (Chinchilla, cost $15k). Peggy not wanting to sleep with her date because she’s done that and it didn’t work. Joan buying expensive clothes because she can and because she looks like that no matter what she wears.

I really liked the scene with the flight attendant who starts to act like Megan when the wine spills on the carpet. Megan did the same thing: trying to clean the floor in bra and panties until Don stopped her with sex. The actress even spoke in a Meganish inflection.

The one scene that didn’t play well for me was when Ken turns on his wife after she says he should quit and be a writer. That didn’t make sense but then we’ve barely seen them so I know I’m imposing my sense of them on the scene without justification. I had no problem with Ken moving to Dow because he says his father-in-law loved working there and what Ken hates about running accounts is the sense of being jerked around all the time by clients, by others in the agency, etc. I never saw him as hating work, just the lack of control.

I was surprised that Ted is divorced. Or I think he’s divorced. I liked the line about 3 women in a man’s life. I didn’t see it as a retread of the earlier ad idea about a woman being Jackie and Marilyn because that’s the woman’s perspective on herself. Ted is speaking to the male perspective. It’s easy to come up with 2 - mom and wife - and more than that (other than daughter) speaks to where Ted is in life. So it’s an echo but not a repeat.

I thought Rachel Katz’s dream appearance was interesting. I liked they made the dream state sort of obvious by having Ted open the door to let her in while Pete lets her out, but then he wakes in bed so it’s clear anyway. She says you missed your plane, which references Don saying he’d run away with her to Paris. It also obviously refers to Peggy’s date. And to the flight attendant. And to Megan out in CA. I like Don’s comment in the dream: you’re not just smooth; you’re Wilkinson smooth. (That’s the razor company, btw.) It’s like she’s the actual dream of the ad, not a pretense put on by a sexy girl, and she’s like that because she’s unattainable in every literal way. Wilkinson smooth is the dream being sold.

I think the most important source for the show has become more and more Gatsby, but with Don as both Gatsby and Tom Buchanan. He had his Daisy in Betty. He was the complete fake of a man, but more legitimate than Gatsby because Don sells dreams for big business while Gatsby associates with gamblers and fixers. And a question has been: how much Nick Carraway is in Don? That to me gets to a heart of the issue: we never learn much about Nick and don’t know what happens in his life and so I don’t know what happens with Don. He’s already floated face down in a pool, echoing both Gatsby and Bill Holden in Sunset Blvd. so I don’t see that coming.

Lergnom, I’m thrilled to see your posts, which I look forward to after every MM episode. Thanks again for your always illuminating insights.

Lergnom, thanks from me too. I liked last night’s episode better after reading your post.

I taped the show, even tho I watched. Soon, I’ll rewatching with these great comments.

Wow, good summary. I remember so little from season to season

good post Lergnom.

I remember a scene where Ted visits his daughter in a country or suburban house, as he is in an apartment, and argues with Trudy who no longer wants anything to do with him. I believe the scene ended with him reading to his young daughter. Their split had to do with many things but something about his telling on her father for his indiscetions happened.

Guessing last season.

Oregon, I think you are thinking of Pete. He was married to Trudy and the scene you described was Pete’s not Ted’s