Match Me: NY Resident, White Female w/ Hispanic Background, 75k ish [NY resident, 95% GPA; pre-med, biology]

Okay, I’m going to repeat myself for your benefit. The regular posters know my opinion of SUNY’s.
Our eldest daughter, had a 4.0, was accepted at the top UC’s, had Harvard interviews but was cut after her 3rd interview. Was she bummed? Yes and no. She gets over things really quickly. She was accepted at Yale, but hated the campus and snootiness.
She was also accepted at USC and Johns Hopkins for Bio and “pre-med”. She chose to go to SUNY Buffalo because they had a program whereby, if she maintained a 3.5 undergraduate GPA, she would benefit from a physician partnerships program with free MCAT study sessions and upstate NY medical schools volunteer placement. That’s why she chose to attend SUNY Buffalo.

We live in California.

UCSD is right down the road, and we would have gladly paid for it, and she chose to go to a SUNY school. It was cheaper for us because she got a FULL ride. So when you berate the school, you are unintentionally berating people, like our daughter who worked her butt off in high school academics and attended a SUNY school.
NOW, I get bragging rights:
She changed her major to Electrical engineering and Computer Software. They call it EECS (“eeks”) at Berkeley (where her best friend attended with the same exact major!) and the UC’s. It’s a not a double major out here. The UC’s are on a quarter system, so it goes really fast and a lot of students drop out of the major. Yes, Berkeley students do drop out of their majors.
Her employer offered to pay for her Masters Degree at USC or Johns Hopkins. She was too busy working to go to class so she decided to forego the MS. She is making enough money to afford to buy property to live in the most expensive city in the nation (San Diego).

So, I’m sorry that your opinion of the SUNY’s is so low. My husband and I believe that they are vastly underrated.

Edited to add: It took her 5 years at Buffalo to complete the EECS degree. She is killing it going up the corporate ladder. She is really good at training younger engineers, so much so, that her previous trainees often request to be on her projects. For a time, she and my husband worked at the same location, but for different projects, and never saw each other. His colleagues, who worked with her, would comment to my husband about her strong performance in her work. She was eventually head-hunted by another firm and is now a project manager who hires and trains EECS employees.

8 Likes