No Safeties....are we ok or not?

University of Florida Class 2026 Admissions - Colleges and Universities A-Z / University of Florida - College Confidential Forums

@Melissa96 we are heart broken here, my daughter was rejected, she has 3.9 UW GPA, 1520 SAT, swimming, work, mock trial and some more extracurriculars. I see kids accepted with much lower grades. What can we do? is appealing something you would advise? Thank you!

Not sure if it will link right - it’s message #414.

Florida accepted 22% this year - with a rank now equaling UNC in US News, the apps pile up.

State of residence does not impact admission at Florida nor does major - they don’t admit by major.

You’ll have kids with lower scores (GPA and test) get in because it’s “holistic” but you’ll still have rocket scientists get turned down. Maybe the essays missed the mark or ECs or the AO woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day.

The reason the OOS is low (my hypothesis) is because they have Bright Futures in Florida - and it’s tough to get a smart kid to leave the state…it’s just too cheap to attend one of their many fine colleges.

While we’ve gone off tangent - I think the title of the thread and answers being given are - no, you’re not ok without a safety. But safeties mean different things to different people. Some consider NEU, BU, Tulane, BC, etc. safeties (those that think they’re eminently qualified for Harvard). And they’re not

Someone else might think a certain college is - but then they apply for an impacted major like CS or Poli Sci at Maryland…and they’re not safe.

The true safety is the one with auto admissions or you’re just flat out so superior in every way and they accept 80%. Or maybe a 3rd tier LAC.

Like I’ve written b4, my daughter’s valedictorian with 36 ACT was 0 for 16 on top 20 and only into NYU and UTK - where she attends.

Less kids go to school today - but more are seeking the top programs - and that’s causing gridlock I think.

The flip side - there’s always solid schools you could get into very late - if it comes to that - but then you might miss Honors and good dorms, etc. so it’s worth the investment up front.

7 Likes