Once Upon a River - June CC Book Club Selection

Our June selection is Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield, an entrancing and atmospheric story of loss and rebirth, with elements of folklore, gothic mystery, and magic. Set in a village on the banks of the Thames river in the late 19th century, the novel opens with an injured man stumbling into an inn on a winter night, carrying a dead child in his arms – a child who then returns to life, and whose parentage and history lead the local residents into a fascinating and complex mystery.

Discussion begins June 1st. Please join us!

Yay! The library just notified me that the book is available for me off the waitlist! I guess I may read it early and try taking some notes so I can remember enough for the June discussion.

@Himom: Read it early, then request it again. Hopefully you’ll get it again in time to look over it, maybe even have it on hand for the discussion. (I’ve done this.)

K. Will try that. The preview on Amazon had lovely descriptions so I’m looking forward to this book.

I loved The Thirteenth Tale but was only able to get maybe 50-75 pages into Once Upon A River before if was due back to the library - it just wasn’t drawing me in. But I’ll give it another go and have just requested it from my library again.

@Lemonlee, a review I read in The Guardian said that the initial pace is “unhurried” and that “Once Upon a River takes more than a few pages to begin properly.” I hope that the second time around will work for you and you’ll be able to join us!

Thanks @Mary13. That helps and will give me motivation this time around. Looking forward to joining you all for my first online book club!

I just picked up Once Upon a River from the library and am looking forward to it. I will try to reserve it again.

I couldn’t get through A Room With a View, but I am going to try this one for my first online book club as well. It sounds interesting.

Just finished this book. Looking forward to June discussion.

^ Wow, that was fast!

Our library system has 32 copies and 31 holds. I’m #28. Maybe I’ll get it by June? I also put a hold on The Weight of Ink and am #22 but only 10 copies of that.

Yes, the book starts slow but picks up. I just re-read it to pick up things I may have missed in the initial read and to help me remember it for June.

I’m pleased that I had correctly guessed some of the later developments.

I thought I’d pull this up as a reminder to anyone who wants to join in the discussion - or lurk, if that’s your preference.

Page 399- quite a page turner

The waitlist shows 7-8 weeks so doesn’t look good for joining this time. Maybe the next one.

Ooh, just checked and it says book is in transit to my local library branch so looks like I’ll have plenty of time to read it before June. (And I’m up to 9th in line for 10 copies of The Weight of Ink so that should come through soon too.)

Hurray! I finally got a book from the library in time to read it for the discussion! Now to remember it for a few weeks . . . .

I’m sure I will forget some of the details but will remember much of the book–very engaging writer!

I’m about 1/3 of the way through. Should be an interesting discussion.