UC Santa Barbara Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

With decisions coming out March 22, I am starting a Waitlist/Appeal discussion. Below are some waitlist stats from the last few years but are not predictive of this year’s chances. 2020 is an outlier for obvious reasons.

I have also linked the Waitlist FAQ: https://admissions.sa.ucsb.edu/sites/default/files/2022-03/Waitlist%20FAQ%202022.pdf

Edited for 2021 Waitlist numbers:

2020 Waitlist stats:
Number of applicants waitlist: 9885
Number of applicants accepting the waitlist: 6342
Number of applicants admitted: 6103

2019 Waitlist stats:
Waitlist Offers: 8,863
Waitlist Opt-Ins: 5,865
Waitlist Admits: 604

UCSB Appeal information:

If you are eligible to appeal, the “Appeal” tab will appear at the top of your UCSB Applicant Portal on the date listed below. To appeal your decision, click the “Appeal” tab to submit your answers to two required question prompts (and one optional question prompt) and attach a transcript, if applicable.

Appeals received: 1122 Approved: 11

https://admissions.sa.ucsb.edu/appeal-process

1 Like

Is not everyone is eligible to appeal?

The only non-eligible applicants that cannot appeal are applicants on the waitlist. UCSB does not state any other reasons why the appeal tab would not be available.

I posted this last year and although it was originally posted on the Georgia Tech Blog site, the message about waitlists is universal and appropriate.

Georgia Tech Admission Blog – 23 Mar 21

The Waitlist. Why?!

Listen to “The Waitlist…Why?! – Rick Clark” on Spreaker. The only thing more annoying than a four-year old incessantly asking you why is a twelve-year-old, impersonating a four-ye…

2 Likes

Any explanation why the number of admitted off the waitlist is that high for 2020 compared to 2019?

Do UCSB accept LOCI

No UCSB no longer accepts LOCI’s. Opt into the waitlist and move on.

2020 is the outlier due to the beginning of the Covid pandemic.

1 Like

So 2020 had a lot of waitlist acceptances since people deffered. 2021 had almost zero waitlists since deferred joined in the next year. Will this mean that the UC waitlists will go back to 2019 numbers?

1 Like

UC waitlists will vary from year to year so there is no way to predict. UCSB got 5300 more applicants than last year and it continues to increase every year so it will all depend upon how many applicants will enroll on May 1.

1 Like

Bummed to be here on behalf of my D. Does anyone know if senior year grades get factored into the WL admissions decision?

I am holding out some hope that due to the UCB enrollment freeze uncertainty, which only got lifted a week ago, the other UCs WL’d heavier than usual. Seems like a ton of WLs at UCSD and UCSB of very well qualified candidates.

3 Likes

UCSB only allows you to opt into the waitlist. They do not have an essay and you cannot submit any other documentation. Opt into the waitlist and get excited about the acceptances.

https://admissions.sa.ucsb.edu/waitlist-faq

Yes, I see that, thankfully they don’t consider senior year grades. It seems like, similar to UCSD, tons of very high stat kids at my D’s HS got WL’d at UCSB. My theory is that these schools are over WLing this year … hope I am right.

1 Like

Found more waitlist data for 2017 and 2018:

Waitlist Data:
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 7856
Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 4883
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 14

Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 6650
Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 4000
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 960

2 Likes

Over waitlisting – for what reason?

I’m curious, when will 2021 waitlist #s come out? Seems like those will be the ones we should look to for an idea of this year? When does CDS get published?

Some UC campuses have already published their 2021 CDS. Exceptions are UCD, UCSB and UCI.

UCR and UCSC had a good amount of waitlist admits. Although no CDS is available for UCD, UCSB and UCI, based on the postings last year, the rest of the UC’s admitted very few from the waitlists.

1 Like

Just speculation: perhaps there was a lot of uncertainty in general this year as it relates to yield due to the lack of test scores (so they don’t really know what admitted students’ options would be out of state, for example) and also the overhang and uncertainty of the Berkeley situation which only got resolved a week or so ago. Clearly if Berkeley had limited enrollment it would have had a trickle down on UCSB and others.

Truly a devastating day for us as much as a college decision could be, that is. My D was always thinking she would go to UCSB and seemed to have enough grades and APs to be a very high likelihood of acceptance in a different year. Planning a visit to Davis this weekend. Her choices are UCD, UCI, UCSC and SDSU, but she won’t even look at UCI or UCSC. Maybe there will be a Berkeley miracle on Thursday. It’s so random this year, its actually possible for anyone WL’d at UCSB.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. Makes sense. I thought UCSB was a sure thing for my son for the same reasons you said. Waiting on a Berkeley miracle too - Berkeley is his top choice. So, I hope. you’re right. Unfortunately, the only acceptance we have is Cal Poly Humboldt which we threw in as a last-minute hail mary. I hear they have a really good Environmental Science program - which is his major, but with his stats, he was expecting a different outcome in general. We do have Merced/top 9% coming, I think. Waitlisted everywhere else. Pretty crushing. (also waiting on USC and Stanford).

1 Like

She has lots of great choices. Are you driving up? If so, why not head over to the coast and at least visit Santa Cruz on the way home? Based off of what you have posted in other threads, SDSU might be a good social fit for her.

1 Like