UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

With decisions coming out March 21, I am starting a Waitlist/Appeal discussion. Below are some waitlist stats from the last few years but are not predictive of this year’s chances. 2020 is an outlier for obvious reasons.

2022 Waitlist timeline: Admits starting May 2- May 17. Waitlist closed June 10.

I have also linked the Waitlist FAQ: https://admissions.sa.ucsb.edu/sites/default/files/2022-03/Waitlist%20FAQ%202022.pdf

2022 Waitlist stats from the CDS:
Number of applicants waitlisted: 16340
Number of applicants accepting the waitlist: 10163
Number of applicants admitted: 2793

2021 Waitlist stats:
Number of applicants waitlisted: 14076
Number of applicants accepting the waitlist: 9762
Number of applicants admitted: 2093

2020 Waitlist stats:
Number of applicants waitlist: 9885
Number of applicants accepting the waitlist: 6342
Number of applicants admitted: 6103

2019 Waitlist stats:
Waitlist Offers: 8,863
Waitlist Opt-Ins: 5,865
Waitlist Admits: 604

UCSB Appeal information:

If you are eligible to appeal, the “Appeal” tab will appear at the top of your UCSB Applicant Portal on the date listed below. To appeal your decision, click the “Appeal” tab to submit your answers to two required question prompts (and one optional question prompt) and attach a transcript, if applicable.

2022 UC Counselor data: Appeals: 1240. Granted: 4

OK since UCSB seems like one campus that has actually used the waitlist somewhat in recent years, I guess I’ll go ahead and follow along here. My D23 was waitlisted and clicked “accept waitlist” right away. Given the FAQ above, it seems that’s it? There’s no other thing to do? No grades to report or anything?

1 Like

No, nothing else. UCSB did have a waitlist statement but discontinued it a few years ago.

1 Like

For UCs overall (and UDub/UIUC if anyone here knows) what can really be written about in an appeal? From what I read they just imply that they want things you didn’t include in your application and not new info/awards. They refuse to say what our shortfalls were as well so I have no clue where to start

Thank you very much, Gumbymom. If the waitlist is mostly for first major, is it possible UCSB may not have evaluated for alternate major?

They would have evaluated you for your alternate major prior to waitlisting you.

1 Like

Thank you. So, It’s waitlist if you did not make it to ‘undeclared’ in L&S?

Yes, it is waitlist if you are not accepted into your alternate major or Undeclared.

1 Like

Thanks much for the clarifying this.

1 Like

I think you can mention any related internships/activities that you did but did not mention much in the PIQs. You can expand on those with a story on your planned major and and any awards and accomplishments that are new.

Basically an appeal has to show that you are a stronger applicant than what was presented in your original UC application. New and compelling information can be:

Medical issues not disclosed and needing to remain close to family and doctors.

Extraordinary hardship where you were unable to meet your full academic potential.

Exceptional Talent in a specific area and how that makes you qualified for UC admission.

What you want to do is show how you will be an asset to the UC campus and community.

1 Like

Got it, thanks!

Thanks @Aksup too!

1 Like

A post was split to a new thread: Questions about UC to UC Transfers

Deleted – replied to the wrong post!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Questions about UC to UC Transfers

Wait why does this keep replying to you @Gumbymom? Sorry! I’m trying to reply to @anon151324

I recently been medically diagnosed with a disease that gives me extreme fatigue and other symptoms and I think I have been dealing with it for years. Doctors told me that it was possible I have had this disease for years, but it was not medically diagnosed until recently so is it possible to include that on my appeal letter? This greatly affected me in reaching my full academic potential and I have changed my lifestyle and started taking medicine to improve my health (no antibodies exist that can kill the virus, so using medication to prevent further development) but I don’t know if it’s a good idea to be appeal because of being a pity case. Should I also include proof of my diagnosis? I also want to write what makes me special and show how passionate I am for Santa Barbara. Finally, after being diagnosed and changing up my lifestyle, I was able to receive my highest semester GPA my first semester of senior year, should I include that too?

Thank you so much @Gumbymom, looking forward to your response

1 Like

So sorry to hear of your medical issues and hope you are on your way to feeling better. UCSB no longer accepts LOCI’s or waitlist statements if you are waitlisted? If you are on the waitlist, you cannot appeal until you are denied.

That said, if you have been denied admission then you have a strong basis for an appeal and if you feel strongly about UCSB then definitely file your appeal. Make sure you submit medical documentation and other proof to help aid in your appeal determination.

https://admissions.sa.ucsb.edu/appeal-process

Best of luck and please update if you hear.

2 Likes

@Gumbymom do you know if college counselors can send letters to AO’s? I understand there are no other documents that an applicant can send, but I know with some other schools you can have a high school administrator or counselor send a letter.

1 Like