University of Florida Campus Visits: Share Your Tips & Recommendations

Did you recently visit University of Florida? Share your experience with the community! Post your review in the comments below.

Some ideas for what to share:

• When did you visit?
  • Where did you stay? Would you recommend it?
  • Where did you eat? Did you try any local specialties?
  • How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus?
  • What was the campus vibe?
  • What did you think of the dorms?
  • What are some must-see things in or around campus?
  • How were the school facilities?
  • Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why?
  • Did anything surprise you?

We’d love to hear any tips or recommendations you can share for people planning their UFlorida cvisit!

Before I answer some of the other questions, I think the most important thing to note on scheduling tours, is to remember that the colleges also have their own tours. These are interesting, in that you met and can talk with actual students in that college. While the general tour is better around discussions on admissions.

For example, if you’re interested in Engineering, put a priority on attending a College of Engineering tour. They also have virtual tours.

A couple of other examples:

College of Business:

https://warrington.ufl.edu/diplomats/schedule-a-tour/

College of Journalism and Communications:

1 Like

I go to Gainesville for work. I stay at the Aloft which is ehhhh but easy to walk to campus. I once stayed at the AC …both are Marriotts…that approaches from the other side. The AC is nicer but a big parking fee so I didn’t stay a second time.

If you got into FSU too one can go see both. They’re just a few hours.

Edit - eating - I love Bolay. It’s in south Florida too.

1 Like
  • When did you visit?

It’s been 5 or 6 years since I did a tour, I’ve had a child at UF since 2014, and visit regularly.

• Where did you stay? Would you recommend it?

Lots of decent places to stay in Gainesville. Just avoid home football weekends, like the plague (unless you’re going to the game!).

• Where did you eat? Did you try any local specialties?

Lots of places in Gainesville, a foew of our favorites are Mi Apá Latin Café (Latin/Cuban) and Satchel’s Pizza.

The Krishna’s serve vegan lunch on campus (11am-1:30pm at Plaza of Americas). One of my daughter’s favorites while at UF. If your Kido is into this, you may want to give it a try. They have been on campus since the 70’s, and it’s something of a tradition.

Next time I’m in Gainesville, I want to try Spurrier’s Gridiron Grille, a bit pricy, but a must for die hard gators.

• How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus?

First lesson about UF. Parking is a pain. You may try to find parking in the Welcome Center garage, located at 737 Reitz Union Drive. If there are no available spots in the Welcome Center parking garage, overflow visitor parking may be found in Garage 5 located at 1108 Gale Lemerand Drive. It’s about a 10 to 15 minute walk from Garage 5 to the Welcome Center.

• What was the campus vibe?

If you visit during the Fall/Spring term, campus will be very busy/active. To be honest, it feels like a “Florida” campus, like FSU or UCF. It’s like a bunch of kids on vacation, wearing backpacks full of books and laptops.

• What did you think of the dorms?

UF has been rebuilding it’s dorms, so the newer ones are more what folks expect now a days. However, both of my kids picked older dorms, and they liked it. Still, as a rule, most kids want to move off campus after that first year.

• What are some must-see things in or around campus?

Duh…it’s Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The tours used to end in the stadium. It’s open during the day, so feel free to walk in. You can also check out the Heisman and National Title trophies. If you can catch a game (baseball/softball/volleyball, etc.) try to do so. The other stadiums are very nice and have just been rebuilt.

• How were the school facilities?

I really recommend the “college” tours to get a better view on the facilities. However, they are very nice. UF is constantly under construction ($$$).

• Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why?

I’m Alumni so it was what I was expecting, and of course I’m biased.

• Did anything surprise you?

Not really, other than the campus feels much more crowded (all of the new construction) than when I attended in the 80’s. I was a bit surprised that it still felt the same, even 30 years later…

GO GATORS!

2 Likes

My DD and I are visiting for GEE Day, and I’m trying to figure out where is best to stay to get the full experience. She’s used to walking, and having a town around her. So I thought we’d stay close to the downtown area. Or is it better to stay somewhere else to get more of the student feel?

I don’t think it’s going to matter too much where you ultimately stay as a visitor. There are plenty of I-75 hotels and just a short drive to downtown. As a student there are plenty of dorms and apartments within walking distance of campus and classes but a lot of the hotels are older in the actual downtown section (although I’m sure they’ve been renovated). I’d suggest finding a nice hotel at a decent price and not worry too much about being “in the heart of G’ville” since G’ville has grown significantly over the years and now stretches in many directions.

On campus park somewhere near or at Reitz Union and go from there.

Go to Satchel’s pizza (so fun and all students) and hit Ember’s steak house (I never miss it!) for an upscale experience.
You’ll probably want to drive around to different sections of G’ville anyway–Lake Wauberg, Devil’s Millhopper, the museums–it’s a large area to explore.
As a student the campus is very bike and walker friendly. And there are student busses also.

3 Likes