101 reasons to attend the U

<p>Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science</p>

<p>The University Center Swimming Pool is a double-Olympic sized (50 meters x 25 yards) outdoor pool located beside the Patio. Heated to 80-82 degrees-F year-round, the pool offers short-course lap lanes, low-board diving area, and of course a great deck for sunning, studying, or listening to music while enjoying the beautiful weather.</p>

<ol>
<li>Frost School of Music</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>One of the most diverse campuses in the nation</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>The residential college system - a professor and his/her family live in the residence hall with you - and might even invite you to dinner. Additional staff have offices in the hall as well. Last year’s Stanford Residential College ACAR (Academic and Career Advisor in Residence) just became director of the Stamps scholars and Foote Fellows programs so my daughter already knew the new Stamps program director from last year. Nice to have that continuity.</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>The []_[] hangs orange and green hammocks all over campus before finals so students can relax and study outside. </li>
<li>They also bring in puppies to help students destress around finals. Last week they brought in kittens - not for finals since the semester just started. </li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>Excellent, truly inspiring profs teaching intro classes. I personally experienced this since parents and students select from a offering of four or so mini-classes during S/S weekends. Similar mini-classes were offered during family weekend. I took a different one at each of these events and they were both wonderful! My daughter was so impressed by the prof of the class we both attended on aging during Stamps weekend that she enrolled in his course that fall even though she’d placed out of that level through AP credit. The other lecture I attended was over family weekend and focused on the biology of cancer - it was just incredible. Obviously they select profs who are outstanding to teach the mini-classes. Both profs who taught these mini-classes teach intro to biology courses - one the first in the sequence and the other the second.</li>
</ol>

<p>She also checked out an intro to Computer Science course last spring and loved it so much she added CS as a second major. The _'s CS program is small so the first class in the sequence is only taught by one prof who also happens to be the director of undergraduate studies in the CS department. He is now her advisor for that second major. He is from Australia so has one of those fun Crocodile Dundee accents and he tells jokes all through class. He also does not wear shoes. Some students on Rate My Professor say he doesn’t even own shoes but I don’t have confirmation on that. He definitely does not wear shoes to class. I am not making this up. His page on RMP: <a href=“Geoff Sutcliffe at University of Miami | Rate My Professors”>Geoff Sutcliffe at University of Miami | Rate My Professors; He also has a chili pepper next to his name there but my daughter disagrees because “he is too old to be hot.” </p>

<p>So far she has had three outstanding profs for intro classes, one of whom inspired her enough to add that second major. If she’d headed for our flagship instead of the _ she’d be attending class in huge lecture halls with most of her interactions with TAs. </p>

<ol>
<li> The ‘cognate’ program to fulfill your general education requirement: </li>
</ol>

<p>Instead of satisfying the inevitable distribution requirement by taking all sorts of random courses (that don’t really interest you) you take two cognates, a group of three related courses – one each in two areas of knowledge outside your major. You pick your cognates. There are an incredible number of cognates centering on virtually any area you can imagine. Instead of looking for some course to simply ‘get out of’ your distribution requirement you’ll get to explore an area you’ve always been curious about in enough depth to gain real insight.</p>

<p>Here’s a bit more info. Check out the cognate search engine link if you’re so inclined.
<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/registrar/cognates/”>http://www.miami.edu/index.php/registrar/cognates/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<ol>
<li>The Herbert Wellness Center.</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>Donna Shalala</li>
</ol>

<p>A visionary educator and President, yet immensely accessible and passionate about the students. Being well respected on a global level enables her to routinely attract great speakers to the U</p>

<p>Time to pick the low-lying fruit:</p>

<ol>
<li> Great weather. Adjusting to college can be tough. It helps when you’re not enduring months on end where it’s dark and cold. </li>
<li> Nationally-ranked football team</li>
<li> Nationally-ranked basketball team</li>
<li> The school spirit, comraderie, and good vibes that come with #'s 13and14. </li>
</ol>

<p>16-Canefest
17-Great Master/PhD programs
18- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute ( UHealth) is rated best eye hospital in the US.
19- The puppies and kittens they bring before exams
20-The most beautiful Student Center you will ever see.
21- Sebastian, the Ibis. </p>

<p>…and why the Ibis you might ask… It’s the last bird to leave in a Hurricane and the first to come back</p>

<ol>
<li>Forward-thinking engineering department (rising in the rankings too!)</li>
<li>Undergraduate research opportunities</li>
<li>Lighted tennis courts!</li>
<li>Sports Fest</li>
<li>It’s far enough away (for most) that your parents won’t just drop in on you, but convenient enough to two international airports to make travel home easy (if you ever want to go home).</li>
<li>Proximity to the city of Miami and all it has to offer: fun, internships, culture, pro sports.</li>
<li>But (following #27) you get to live in Coral Gables.</li>
</ol>

<p>29: Their intramural program
30: On the weekends, SCUBA at Pennekamp
31: Tremendous opportunities in Latin America
32: Excellent Biology, Chemistry and Earth Sciences Departments. </p>

<ol>
<li> you cannot get into a better school :slight_smile: - #11 is actually something to push people away</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li> They attract amazing speakers, free to students. (This semester alone Hillary Clinton and Malcolm Gladwell.)</li>
<li> Generous merit aid</li>
<li> The Foote Fellows program that exempts high stats students from having to take gen eds, opening up opportunities to easily double (or even triple!) major</li>
<li> Miami Commitment</li>
<li> Happy students that are proud to be at The U</li>
</ol>

<p>39- you will be wearing shorts on February
40- Classes are tought by professors and not their assistants
41-opportunities to study abroad
42-people are just happy to be at the U</p>

<p>43- to be able to be called a Hurricane!</p>

<ol>
<li>The BEST parent group ANYWHERE!!!</li>
</ol>