10th grade courses for a STEM-aspirant

@albright7 may I ask how your S26 became accelerated in math? I also have a STEM oriented S26 and he’s in geometry right now. He’s looking into taking Advanced Algebra online this spring/summer to go into pre-calc next year. There was no opportunity in middle school (that I was aware of) to jump further ahead.

My son is taking AP World History next year, and either honors Advanced Algebra or Honors Pre-calc. Those are the only 2 honors classes available to him. The rest will be the required courses. His electives are Drawing and Painting and Japanese. He’s a STEM kid, but also very interested in history and a very talented illustrator. We are leaning into those things because he truly loves them and I do think it’ll make him an interesting STEM candidate later.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We are tilting towards English & Chem Honors. Maybe AP History, and Engineering honors is a skip. Next my S26 will talk with the counselor, and gauge who the best teachers are. Then go from there!

Hi wjs, my son’s middle school put the kids on accelerated path based on a qualifying exam & past grades. Unfortunately his HS does not have means to do spring/summer school to accelerate. So there are kids who have transferred from other school district & miss out on the accelerated program (unless they were enrolled in an equivalent program in their earlier district).
I do agree that your son’s drawing & painting skills put him in a relative advantage. I am thinking media related degrees… animation & such :+1: