2011 US NEW Predictions

<p>With the budget cuts and all the chaos that has followed, what do you all feel will happen to the UCs rank in the US NEWS report?</p>

<p>They will stay the same. Budget cuts are occurring everywhere and even privates are being affected.</p>

<p>agrees with ProteinMan :P. Though UCSC and UCR will probably move around again since those 2 seem to like moving alot :slight_smile: XD</p>

<p>UCSC better be moving up lol</p>

<p>haha hopefully in the 60s :D</p>

<p>when do they come out ?</p>

<p>I think in August</p>

<p>Im pretty sure that both UCR and UCSC will be moving up, but not too high though…I think we need another UC…</p>

<p>lol i think the better question is will admission rate to “middle” UC’s continue to decrease more and more? i mean UCB and UCLA have been in the 20’s% for a couple year but schools like UCSD, UCD, UCI, and UCSB have had their admit rates plumet like 10-15% the last 3-4 years</p>

<p>US NEWS rankings mean nothing
and if you are swayed choose college based on their bogus rankings that does not even measure the quality of teaching then i truely feel sorry for you</p>

<p>@FutureENTSurgeon: I think quality of research / teaching is more important than admit rate. Admit rate just tells you how many students wanted to go there. But I guess since there is a correlation (but also a number of exceptions) between low admit rate and good quality research/teaching, that could be used…</p>

<p>It is pretty crazy though, how fast SD, Davis, Irvine and SB’s admit rates are dropping. I wonder what it will be like 10 years from now…</p>

<p>@Lichen</p>

<p>Somebody who finally agrees with me. :)</p>

<p>@enemyunit</p>

<p>Quality of research/teaching is the most important factor along with what your degree means to companies. And I think most of us just assume that there’s a strong correlation between quality of teaching and admission rates. My aunt attended both UCLA and Sac State and said the professors taught way better at Sac State. I know that’s only one incident, but I can see it from class to class at UCSD. Some professors teach well and others leave me wondering what just happened. I’d say admission rates “more or less” give you an idea of how a university may be, but it’s not the end all factor. The people who make these rankings need something to go off of. I’d like to see a ranking system where the people actually sit through classes, talk to professors, and examine the research opportunities that different universities offer.</p>

<p>^
I’ve talked to my dad about this and the business he works for takes into account what school you go to (as most businesses do)… If there was one position open for a job and there were two candidates, one had a degree from UCLA and the other from Sac State, the guy with the degree from UCLA will most likely get the job. And US News and many rankings take into account these factors.</p>

<p>^And I won’t argue with you on that. UCLA and Sac State might not have been the best comparison. I just wanted to point out that ranking systems aren’t perfect and going off of something like admission rates may not also be the perfect indicator of how well a professors at a university teach. You can take a place like UCSC for example which could have fantastic professors but won’t earn a particularly high spot on the rankings because of something like admission rate. But also, just because the admission rate is dropping, that doesn’t mean the programs are getting better. It could just mean more students want to go there. Like I said before, I’d like to see a rating system where the people actually sit through classes but of course that will never happen and they could select a class with a bad professor. There’s a lot of differences between classes even just in a single university. Yeah, we know Harvard is good and yeah, we know UCLA is good but I think there are a lot of schools on the rankings chart that would move around if the rankers did better investigating.</p>