2014 Fall Orientation and Family

<p>How important it is for the Family to attend the whole week of activities ( Tue - Sun ) rather then just first few days.
We are trying to make the arrangements and thinking will last few days will add any value. </p>

<p>The parent/family activities really conclude with the President’s Reception for Parents on Thursday evening. The rest of the schedule (Friday-Sunday) are orientation activities for students only and parents really aren’t included. </p>

<p>The orientation schedule appears to be a little different this year from last so my comments/observations are based on last year’s schedule. We attended the Academic Dean meeting for parents and the Kickoff on Wednesday night. The Kickoff was a lot of fun to watch - Band of the Hour, cheerleaders, coach speeches, etc. I don’t see it on the schedule this year - replaced with the Convocation? Our son is in the Frost School of Music and they hosted a breakfast for parents and students to meet faculty and staff. That was very informative and I was very glad we attended. Frost then had breakout sessions for the various majors within the Music School - also very informative. We skipped the President’s Reception as it didn’t hold a lot of interest for us.</p>

<p>We weren’t interested in the various workshops on dealing with having our kid leaving the nest, etc. so we skipped those kinds of sessions. I’m sure many parents find them helpful but they weren’t of interest to us!</p>

<p>Our son is in the marching band and very busy with band camp (which overlaps with orientation activities) and fitting in all the other new student stuff that, other than the Frost breakfast, we didn’t really see him. Those are all good things. He focused on the whole experience and parents aren’t part of that!</p>

<p>Since we had limited interest in some of the orientation activities on campus (and it was really hot and humid!) and wanted to avoid the congestion of campus, my husband and I used the opportunity to explore the Coral Gables area. We were available if our son had questions or needed anything but we did our own thing. That’s fit our style/personality just fine but I know lots of other parents had a great time on campus for the entire time, taking in every session, etc.!</p>

<p>You will be fine with departing Miami on Friday morning at the latest. Stay longer if you want to experience the area but you won’t be needed (or really wanted) on campus!</p>

<p>Since it is the off season last year we were able to get a room at the Biltmore for a very reasonable rate. It is a topnotch and historic place with a great pool which was much needed with the oppressive heat. It is also very close to campus though you will definately need to rent a car.</p>

<p>I think we will take part in U activities till Thursday Night. Then either Fly back on Friday or Monday and just hangout in Ft Lauderdale… Thanks for the Input… We were in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove few weeks back and really Explore that area including the Biscayne Bay, Keys and South Beach… Amazing places if you like Tropical weather…but evenings were cooler and nicer near the Water…</p>

<p>Out of curiosity, what is the expected level of dress for parents at the various activities, including the President’s reception? E.g., is it business casual? Informal? Given the projected heat, are there many in shorts? Sandals? T-shirts?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>nmpadr - all activities are very casual - the campus is casual. As you mentioned, it will be VERY hot and humid. You may also be running last minute errands for your child and walking great distances (parking can be a challenge on campus during orientation) so be cool and comfortable. Many dads in shorts/t-shirts (including MANY UM shirts)/polos. Moms in shorts, casual skirts/sundresses, etc. Classrooms and other venues tend to be very cool so having something to layer when inside is good.</p>

<p>Thanks very much, NEILRRM! This is very helpful and, as we will be coming to Miami from afar, will certainly aid our packing. :-)</p>