2021-2022 USC Transfer

Looks like I’m not going to USC lol, off-campus housing there is beyond my affordability.

How much is even off campus?

I think it was at least 1,900 last time I looked last year for just rent

Hey guys, I got a spring grade request two days ago. Looking back on previous years posts, sometimes it seems like having a 4.0 isn’t as good as having a 3.92 or something. I see plenty of 4.0 students get rejected. I got a 4.0 last semester, so I’m worried that if I get another 4.0 this semester I will get rejected. Does anyone have any insight or thoughts on this.

If everyone is getting similar or the same GPAs, they may be looking at essays and/or ECs instead to determine a decision. I wouldn’t be too worried about GPA if its above a 3.8. Schools like USC are pretty much a lottery though

1 Like

So I should strive for another 4.0, no matter what

4.0 is an excellent grade, I wouldn’t let a school affect my grades like that.

1 Like

Having a high GPA no doubt makes you a BETTER and MORE competitive applicant but it’s not just about GPA. It won’t make you the BEST applicant just if you have a 4.0. And, like someone else said it really is a lottery. I’ve had friends with 4.0s get rejected from UCI, UCLA and get into Cornell, Berkeley… things like that. Good luck to everyone and stay confident

1 Like

Thank you so much for the input

1 Like

I think I might go to Miami over Cornell and USC but I’m still waiting on all 3 :frowning: I lowkey dislike the month of May rn lol

Oh god and thats for one month per person!? Have you looked at other places near the metro stations? Maybe there are cheaper options.

I don’t think my parents would want me anywhere near or even the idea of taking the metro, they’re really uneasy about the off-campus situation to the point where they want me to be stuck at home doing online :confused:

1 Like

Housing around USC is expensive and there are certainly areas you should and shouldn’t live in. Living “by the metro” is a bit broad of a statement and not always the best and safest move.

Oh I see, do you know if it usually costs around 2k per person to live around there even if you find a roommate?

1 Like

It’s usually between $700-$3,000 generally speaking, but some off-campus residences let you split the cost so that it’s cheaper if you’re rooming with other people

I hate to be blunt but realistically, Off campus housing is not cheap, and if you really want some extra space for things other than a desk, chair, and bed, then there will be financial risks/sacrifices people need to take in order to get some space.

you can take a look at facebook groups for housing! some people post about needing a roommate/subleasing or you can post your own budget asking if anyone has any places in mind. it can be 2k, especially if you’re looking for your own place/room, and plus you have to keep in mind that you would have to buy your own furniture as well as utilities. it really sucks how expensive to live there is tbh :frowning: but most times if you are living with others it’s not as expensive.

1 Like

I mean gettin utilities and stuff is something I will do regardless since I want to live in California. And off campus housing would mean I get to start that journey. So I wouldn’t mind getting loans/ paying extra. Of course this is all considering they accept me lmao. Thank you so much everyone, I knew it was expensive but I always thought 2-3k prices were paid by more than one person haha

This has been answered before… your choices is pretty much to wait as long as you can and hope you hear back from USC before the commitment deadline so you aren’t paying an unnecessary deposit (assuming you want to go to USC above any other school) The problem with this is a. You pay the deposit to commit and find out you are accepted to USC you forfeit that deposit to the other school and still have to pay the commitment fee of $300 for USC or don’t pay the deposit and lose your spot entirely in hopes to be accepted to USC

It is costly but not all that bad. While attending UCLA, my daughter and 3 of her friends rented a newly renovated 2 bedroom, two bath for $3000/month, utilities included, in Westwood. The area surrounding USC can’t possibly be as expensive. Also, I know that those attending the USC Health Campus can take advantage of a free, USC shuttle to and from their neighborhood (within certain boundaries.) Maybe the undergrad campus offers a like arrangement? I was also under the impression that USC gives it undergrads an Uber allowance. :oncoming_automobile: