2024-25 CSS Profile Questions

The 2024-25 CSS Profile is now live.

I thought I’d start a thread for questions and hopefully answers.

I watched several videos and websites recommending that we fill in only the required questions and skip everything else. Is this a good idea? There are a lot of questions that would then be blank.

2 Likes

I watched some videos that said that. When I completed the CSS, I didn’t notice any optional questions. Maybe I missed them.

2 Likes

Can you give us some examples of things you would be leaving blank?

Questions not required in the CSS profile form (these are the ones I’ve come across so far - haven’t finished it yet)

• Parents education level
  • Students and Parents SSN
  • Student’s private high school info
  • Amount parents paid for private education
  • for 1040 info - only Line 1z and Line 22 are required (the rest are not)
  • for Schedule 1 - none of the info is required (and I’ve seen people not even answer if they filed a Schedule 1)

I think the reasoning is that all schools will ask for your entire tax returns so there is no point in filling out info that is not required.

Since this is my first time filling this form out, I’m filling it out as completely as I can unless someone can tell me why I should not do so.

1 Like
  • Parents education level
    totally up to you. But if you are a first generation college student, this is a good metro. At some colleges.

• Students and Parents SSN
    I am not sure about this one.

• Student’s private high school info

definitely optional for those who never attended private high school. This info will be on the transcript the HS sends to the colleges anyway

• Amount parents paid for private education

some colleges take this into consideration when awarding need based aid so find out!

• for 1040 info - only Line 1z and Line 22 are required (the rest are not)
    this will be on your tax return anyway

• for Schedule 1 - none of the info is required (and I’ve seen people not even answer if they filed a Schedule 1)

Schedule 1 & Completing the CSS Profile

In the Parent Tax Schedules and Forms section, the CSS Profile asks families which schedules and tax forms they completed. Based on the response to this question, additional questions will be populated. If you select that you did complete Schedule 1, you will be asked additional questions related to the type of income and adjustments reported on your 1040 Schedule 1.

1 Like

Thanks. I am planning to fill everything out. I was just confused why the advice seems to be to fill out as little as possible. For me it is easier to just fill out everything and not worry I missed something important.

@Mwfan1921 why would the advice be to fill out as little as possible on the profile?

That is my question - but the advice is repeated often online. Could be the wrong advice or maybe it doesn’t matter since I hear schools ask for tax returns anyway.

1 Like

Many Profile Schools use IDOC and that’s where your tax returns would be uploaded.

Almost all schools also use the FAFSA, and linking to the IRS Data Retrieval Tool will provide the schools your tax return info on the FAFSA.

So…yes, schools will get this info one way or another.

I’m curious (which is why I tagged another poster) why the advice would be as you have posted. Let’s see what others say.

I have never heard this either.

@curium245, can you share a link(s) of sites that say to do that and/or what CSS questions are optional? I do agree that because many CSS schools will ask many families for all their financials (often far more than just tax returns), it’s probably moot.

1 Like

Sure. Here are two videos with walkthrough of last year’s CSS. (Since this is my first time with these forms, I was just confused by this advice)
Hope I’m posting these links correctly. Delete if not allowed please.

(at 6:49 mentioned under critical mistakes to avoid)

(33.45 - talks about not giving info that is not required)

Thanks for posting those examples.

I agree families don’t have to fill out questions that are optional…but they should be honest when answering questions. So in the first example, if a family hasn’t received any social security benefits/didn’t report any on their tax return, then no need to answer that optional question. BUT if someone did receive social security benefits I would recommend they report that, even if not on the tax return. (also just want to make sure you know that CB CSS walk through is for last year’s CSS. It may not be significantly different this year, but just wanted to communicate that :blush:)

3 Likes

Thanks - that makes a lot of sense.

Now that the 2024-25 CSS is available hopefully people will post a few walkthroughs soon.
Before I submit I would like to double check that I answered a few questions correctly since our income is 100% self-employed small business.

3 Likes

I look at it this way. My son will apply ED but asking for need aid. I want his desired school (need aware) to understand we are not asking for a free ride and will be mostly but not full pay. Might be misplaced logic :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

For the CSS question
How much does [Student Name] expect to receive from the following sources to pay for educational expenses for the 2024-25 academic year - their parents

Is this the max limit parents can provide for college without loans? Do I use the 529 balance for S24, which would be the comfortable amount. But we can stretch and pay more. Not sure how to answer this question.

Is the answer to this question also used to determine merit for the student?

Merit aid is based on the strength of the student application, not finances.

Frankly, I think this question isn’t actually used for anything. We were honest, and put down what we planned to contribute. But I think you could probably put any number. Just my opinion.

@Mwfan1921

1 Like

Thanks! I will put down the full amount we have set aside for college for S24.

I agree that makes sense. Like @thumper1, I also don’t know that this question is used for anything, and if it is used…how.

2 Likes

I don’t know the process; but if you answer $0 it seems you are asking the school to pick up the entire $85,000 yearly expense

I’m not a fan of questions with subjective answers on financial forms. My preference is to give an answer based on some objective measure - which for me is the entire amount in S24s 529 account. We could cover more, but if the COA is more than the 529, then cost will become a factor in choosing the school.

1 Like