A couple of questions about the National Merit Scholarship

<p>1) Does one have to file the FAFSA to receive MERIT scholarships at Alabama? My ds was awarded the Presidential Scholarship and will also qualify for the additional amounts if he moves from NMSF to NMF. It seems like I have read “somewhere” that “some” schools require the filing of the FAFSA in order to receive merit-based scholarships. We will not qualify for need-based aid.</p>

<p>2) In the NMSF it states, “If a corporate sponsored scholarship from the National Merit Corporation is received, the total value cannot exceed $3,500.”</p>

<p>Can someone speak S L O W L Y to me. I do not understand how the National Merit scholarship works in conjunction with college-based scholarships. I was under the impression that an “official” National Merit Scholarship could not be more than $2,500. So I was confused about the $3,5000 amount listed in the letter. I also don’t know how those $2,500 scholarships from National Merit are determined? Is there a certain number per state? Is it based on who has the highest PSAT scores within the state? </p>

<p>I have read through the NM board, but I am just not getting how college scholarships work with the $2,500 from the National Merit Corporation scholarships. Everyone here is so helpful, and I figured someone over here would know the answer to my questions!</p>

<p>Any information would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Alabama is extremely generous in the way it approaches scholarships in general.</p>

<p>If you have an outside scholarship, say from a Parent’s employer, or an annuity plan such as the Texas Tomorroe Frund, UA does NOT, like many schools do, reduce the value of any UA-granted MERIT scholarships (ex. Presidential) but rather returns any overage in tuition, meals, fees, etc., directly to the student (or parent.)</p>

<p>Thus, these outside funding sources can be used for ANYTHING…sorority dues, travel, car payments, whatever.</p>

<p>You DO NOT have to file FAFSA to be considered or receive a NMF scholarship.</p>

<p>I am off to work, so look for others to answer the bulk of your question.</p>

<p>RTR</p>

<p>No FAFSA required at Alabama for merit.</p>

<p>[National</a> Merit Scholarship Corporation - NMSP](<a href=“http://www.nationalmerit.org/nmsp.php#merit]National”>http://www.nationalmerit.org/nmsp.php#merit)</p>

<p>^^ for answers about how National Merit Scholarship Corporation “official” $2500 scholarships are awarded. The Finalist application goes well beyind PSAT scores and is the basis for scholar awards.</p>

<p>Individual corporations can also award any amount they want for a Corporate-Sponsored National Merit scholaship and are generally available to children of the sponsoring corporations.</p>

<p>School-sponsored National Merit awards, such as Alabama’s, are determined by the school in any amount they choose. Alabama will not stack any of the above National Merit scholarships with their own offer to exceed the $3500 stipend in a year. If you are awarded less than $3500 from the NMSC, Alabama will reduce its stipend to you so that your total does not exceed $3500. In other words, only a National Merit corporate scholarship that exceeds $3500 per year would put more money in your pocket. </p>

<p>As TXArchitect said, other types of scholarships can stack without the above limit.</p>

<p>*Can someone speak S L O W L Y to me. I do not understand how the National Merit scholarship works in conjunction with college-based scholarships. I was under the impression that an “official” National Merit Scholarship could not be more than $2,500. So I was confused about the $3,5000 amount listed in the letter. I also don’t know how those $2,500 scholarships from National Merit are determined? Is there a certain number per state? Is it based on who has the highest PSAT scores within the state? *</p>

<p>Only PART of Bama’s NMF scholarship is “official”. Only a tiny bit. Most is not official.</p>

<p>If a student receives a Corporate “official” NMF scholarship, that amount can be anything from $1k-$6k depending on the corp. So, in that case, the total value can’t exceed $3500. I’m not sure what they’re saying happens to a $6k corporate award. Does that mean only 3500 can be rec’d? or does it mean that if you got $6k from Corporate, then bama won’t kick in any of the $3500? I think it’s the latter. </p>

<p>There are very few $6k Corporate awards…most are $1k-2500 per year. My son got a $2500. (We’re talking “official” NMCorp NMF awards here…not the “unofficial” NMF awards like free tuition, housing, etc). So, if he were a NMF today, he’d get the $2500 from Corporate, plus the $1k from Bama (to equal $3500)…and he’d get the unofficial NMF scholarship…the tuition, room, etc.</p>

<p>I think the $2500 NMCorp scholarships that you’re talking about are the one time awards to 2500 NMFs.</p>