a few questions

<p>Hi All</p>

<p>Is it worth it to order the prepackaged dorm bedding etc from the form that Tech sends out? I found a better memory foam topper instead of an eggcrate on Amazon and was able to combine it with extra long sheets/comforter etc for around the same price or lower. Tech sent out a form for a company to order from. Also do you recommend the student stay in the dorms for the experience during orientation or is it just more comfortable to come back to the hotel with us? </p>

<p>Thanks Again</p>

<p>Buy your own sheet/memory foam. It’s much better than the egg crate.</p>

<p>I’d say yes to staying in the dorms but you won’t miss out on TOO much if you don’t. It’s a little uncomfortable but it’ll further unless upon you the need for two box fans which can not be overemphasized.</p>

<p>Bought bedding for both of my kids elsewhere,not from their schools. Both also stayed in the dorms for orientation instead of the hotel with us -seems like part of the whole experience. Had the impression they thought I was nuts for even suggesting they could stay at the hotel with us if they wanted to.</p>

<p>My daughter stayed in dorm during orientation. They keep them pretty busy into the night so it was easier for her.</p>

<p>It is a pretty long and involved day for orientation if I remember correctly, and not just for the old folks! My s stayed in the dorms bc we thought it was what you were supposed to do, but he got very little sleep, mostly because it was hot as fire and because of the noise. </p>

<p>We were all bushed the next day, but at least his dad and I got rest in the hotel. He was whipped. There were a lot of incoming freshmen at our hotel, so if your student wants to go back with you, they won’t be alone. I am going to leave it up to our d for when she goes, but I wouldn’t hesitate to let her stay with us at night with the AC.</p>

<p>Orientation lasts till about midnight, so dorms are a much simpler option. However, they are RIDICULOUSLY hot. Either bring a powerful fan or stay in the hotel.</p>

<p>My daughter stayed in the dorms last year and it was hot! She was on the 7th floor of slusher tower. The girls are in the tower. She brought a fan and survived the night in the dorms. She actually had a lot of fun, loved the whole orientation! So, yes to stay at the orientation. It is one night. It may be hot, but i am sure you will meet some great new friends.
No to the sheets. We bought our own stuff and brought it to college. If you are traveling from far away, then ordering the sheets may be easier.
One more thing, my daughter did not do Hokie camp and wished she had. She knew so many kids that loved it and made great friendships before school. If she had to do it over, she would have gone to hokie camp. Good luck and have fun!</p>

<p>We bought our own bedding at BB and Beyond and Target based on info from others who said the sheets purchased in the package did not fit well.
For orientation, our son chose to stay with us at the hotel and it worked out just fine. He figured he had a whole year to stay in the dorms-which he enjoyed thoroughly.</p>

<p>The brochure provided by VT RHF states that the dorm beds are longer than a traditional twin and standard linens may not fit. Accurate?</p>

<p>Yes, you should purchase the Twin XLong size. Also, the mattress is 8.5 inches deep and very hard. For our son’s bed, we added extra padding to make the bed more comfortable. We made the bed up first with a 3 inch thick mattress topper. Next, we covered the mattress topper with a quilted, padded fitted mattress cover. Then, we put on the sheets, blanket, and comforter. His bed was very comfortable. You will need to make sure the sheets and covers are deep enough for about 13 inches (8.5 inch mattress + 3 inch mattress topper + 1.5 inch padded mattress pad). The egg crate mattress pads do not provide the same level of comfort. One of his dorm mates told me that his egg crate split down the middle after less than 3 months of usage. Also, some brands of egg crates get hot and smell. The mattress topper costs more than an egg crate but my son’s bedding still looks brand new after one year of usage and it should last him for all 4 years.</p>

<p>The XL sheets can be found at Kohls, BB and Beyond, Target and some JCP stores. We purchased 2 sets despite hearing on other threads that the second set never gets used. </p>

<p>Well it’s true, he never used the second set; “if” the sheets were being washed and not ready to put back on, he just slept on the comforter.</p>

<p>I know this doesn’t apply for most reading this, but for the sake of any incoming cadets or their parents - the bunks in the Corps of Cadet dorms (Brodie, Rasche, Monteith & Thomas) DO NOT need twin XL sheets. I know the info from housing says they do, but get regular sized twin sheets (in plain white) so they fit properly for inspections.</p>

<p>A couple of things to add: My son was going to stay in the dorm for orientation but was hot & tired so decided to come back to the hotel & slept well in the AC so he was well rested to register for classes the next day & wrap everything up. I think either way is fine. Re: bedding - we bought a king size eggcrate mattress (the price was the same for any size), folded it in 2, placed a mattress pad on top & then twin XL sheets on it - he said it was great & is going to do the same thing again for this coming year. Did not use the service provided by VT as it was more expensive however distance was not an issue for him. Best of luck this year at VT!</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the great info, VT moms! LOL LynnVB, sounds exactly like my son. I’m sure the second set will come home folded perfectly, never used!</p>

<p>Thanks to all of you! We just returned from orientation and my S participated in all of the events including the evening sessions until 11 or so. We picked him up and brought him back to hotel and it worked out great. He didnt feel like he missed out on anything and was able to sleep in a little later the next morning as well. Thanks for all the bedding advice because we needed it and will use it. We had a really wonderful 2 days in Blacksburg (perfect weather) and are really excited for S to attend VT!</p>

<p>bandgy - great to hear that you all had a great time at orientation & glad that the weather cooperated as well! Best of luck to your son & you!</p>