A love letter to the High School Class of 2024

Late March 2023

Dear students (and families) of the Class of 2024,

At this time next year, please do not post that you are only waiting on 10-12 more decisions and you can not believe you have 5 denials, 4 waitlists, and you are not interested in your in-state safety. Or worse, please do not post in 365 days that you can not afford anywhere that has accepted you and then ask if we know of some quick ponzi deals you can get in on or scholarships that no one else knows about. Please use the collective wisdom of this group, listen to your school counselor, or just look at the actual stats.

Bless your heart. When you post at this point in March that you are waiting on 10 to 12 more outcomes, we know it is either all of these or some ludicrous combo of:
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Princeton
UPenn
Yale
UPenn
Duke
Georgetown
Stanford

Here are some easy steps to not break my heart next year -

Step 1. Class of 2024 high achievers, please fall in love with something great at a school with an acceptance rate of over 50% that your family can afford. Do that first before visiting any more colleges with acceptance rates below 11%.

Step 2. Have the money talk now. Have it again in October when that EFC number pops up in FAFSA. Know that many colleges will want more money than that, not less. Love hurts. Then prepare to spend a weekend in misery as you look at all of the financial aid packages at the same time your parents are doing their 2023 taxes knowing that number will surface again in the FAFSA.

Step 3. Finish strong this semester - your personal best, not someone else’s ideal. You will submit most college applications before semester 1 of senior year has ended. Give yourself grace when needed and be realistic as you look at your GPA and class rank for the year. Take the SAT and ACT a second time this summer when you do not have the stress of AP classes or athletics.

Step 4. Love yourself and make a balanced list of colleges you are actually interested in attending for a real reason that your family can afford and will not create a long term financial crisis situation where they have to come live with you when they retire…

Don’t break my heart next year! I can’t bear to read any more posts on Vandy tonight.

I believe in you, love,
Pathnottaken

16 Likes