A&M Biology Honors Program

Howdy everyone! Congratulations to those who got admitted. I want to apply to the biology honors program, but I’ve heard good and bad stuff about (50/50), but never a good/specific reason to join or not to join. If someone can tell me the pros/cons about joining the honors program for bio that would be great!
Hope to see you guys in the fall :slight_smile:

I have zero help/advice for you except good luck. :). I just wanted to say that my son will be majoring in Biology but he is not going to try the honors program right out of the gate.

Are you doing University Honors or College Honors? Departmental is more secondary I think. You can always sign up later. If you’re thinking of grad school or med school, obviously honor program would look better but if you’re already college or university honors, I’m. It sure what additional advantage you’d have with departmental honors. I guess you’d get to know your professors better with departmental honors. I’d talk to the advisor first.

No, College honors is not always secondary to university honors. The Business honors program for example is much more competitive & recognized than UH. Each college is different. A little history - the UH program has been changing dramatically. In 2010, you just ticked a box if you’d like to join - no housing, no review, no application. You just took a few honors courses & that basically it ( my BHP student had completed the entire 2010 program by end of his sophomore year had he been enrolled - but he was not in UH ). Meanwhile BHP has a 12%-14% acceptance rate of qualified applicants ( basically academic admit status), more honors courses were required, plus meetings & activities as well as meet and greets of executives. They have a 100% placement rate after graduation (still do).

Now UH has a much more rigorous approach, but still is easier to gain admission than BHP. BHP is the college based program I’m most familiar with - but have known UH students from 2010- 2016, more recent students have many more hoops to jump than the previous ones. But no, it isn’t a straight hierarchy that university is higher ranked/recognized than the college based honors programs. You need to evaluate the best path for your student based on their major.

Sorry I don’t know much about Biology honors - take a look at the program requirements & accolades, then look at University honors for the same. Decide which best suits your desires/goals. If med school is a potential pathway, there is a department that advises future med school applicants from various majors - they might be a great resource. In general honors courses can be more challenging but reap higher rewards in that they have higher percentages of A’s & B’s versus regular courses BUT everyone in them has a 3.5 and above, so competition is stiff within the course. Some require more work or higher level applications, some do not. You can take a honors course without being in a honors program however, it is on a space available condition. Honors enrollment of any kind entitles you to early registration AFTER NSC (no benefit for NSC registration) however, you also normally get your own advisors which can be helpful as they have smaller case loads of students which in theory, create more access.

@AGmomx2 I was saying that departmental honors is more secondary to college and/or university. the business honors program you’re talking about is college honors, right? our son is in University Honors and College of Liberal Arts Honors, but for now not doing History Department honors. He might end up doing it anyway, but it seemed like it could wait till he’s more settled in; perhaps his sophomore year. the Corps will keep him busy enough plus there’s the Corps Honors program he’s aiming for in the future as well… keeping my fingers crossed he can keep up with everything!!!

There are University honors students who can’t gain entry into their respective college or department honors programs. I guess that is what I’m trying to point out - each program selects their own students & sets their own membership criteria. Some students just choose which program most suits them and applies to that program. Your son may end up having to choose himself - sometimes there isn’t enough time in the day for everything AND getting stellar grades. In fact, one of my son’s friends just graduated - not one honors course, summa cum laude with a 4.0 he opted for a departmental competitive group instead of any of the honors programs since for him, it was better suited to his employment goals. Unlike many other schools, your GPA alone dictates "graduating with honors’ designations on your diploma.