A New Englander in Alabama?

<p>

</p>

<p>Beautifully stated. Our experience as well. </p>

<p>Furthermore, the professionals in the counseling center stand at the ready, prepared to assist any and all students who struggle with the adaptation to civility and good will. :)</p>

<p>Atlanta68: What is your source for 56.5% of this year’s freshmen class being from Alabama?</p>

<p>Atlanta posted that stat a year ago…so that was for Fall 10’s frosh class.</p>

<p>I think the instate number is lower for this year’s frosh class.</p>

<p>This year’s instate percentage is 49%
[2011</a> At A Glance: New Freshmen Enrollment | OIRA](<a href=“http://oira.ua.edu/d/content/glance/2011-glance-new-freshmen-enrollment]2011”>http://oira.ua.edu/d/content/glance/2011-glance-new-freshmen-enrollment)</p>

<p>Late to this thread. We have lived in NC for almost 22 years, but I was born and bred in Greater Boston and lived most of my earlier life there. My kids were born and bred in NC, but they were home-schooled (by their Harvard PhD dad), and they’ve imbibed much of my Yankee perspective. :slight_smile: (DH is from Louisville, but he went to college and grad school in the Northeast, so I guess he has a bit of Yankee perspective, too.)</p>

<p>Older son (Bama freshman) loves it there so far. He has definitely found intellectually stimulating companionship, especially in his Latin class, which he describes as “like a family.” He says the kids in his Latin and Greek classes like to sit around after class discussing philosophy and theology, lol. He also likes to hang out occasionally with some of nerds and emos from Mallet Assembly. At the same time, he gets along really well with his roommates (two from Ohio; one from Tennessee). And he’s really involved with a couple of religious groups – the Catholic Student Center and a non-denom group called Navigators. He seems quite happy – so much so that he wants to stay there over Thanksgiving break.</p>

<p>Hope this helps – although it’s from a transplant, not a current New Englander. :D</p>

<p>^ Someone from Boston has a Yankee perspective?</p>

<p>^ LOL, wise-guy. Well, after 22 years in NC, the Yankee-ness is starting to wear off. But I still get grief for saying “cahhhhn’t.” And for preferring Dunkin’ Donuts to Krispy Kremes.</p>

<p>I’m just wondering what “y’all” sounds like with a Boston accent.</p>

<p>And do y’all call your aunts …“awnts” (instead of ants)??? ;)</p>

<p>And do you warsh your clothes?</p>