A place to stay near Gulf Shores?

<p>I think my D and I are going to take another trip to visit the school in a couple of weeks. We are driving this time. Coming from Texas. Though it is out of the way, we are considering going south through New Orleans and then over to the Gulf Shores for a couple of days befrei coming to Tuscaloosa. It is my daughter’s break. </p>

<p>Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to stay in or near Gulf Shores?</p>

<p>Did you want to stay “on the beach” or are you OK with a block or two away?</p>

<p>Honestly, I’d like to have a beach view. So, on the beach. But it doesn’t have to be Gulf Shores. Anywhere between New Orleans and Gulf Shores would be fine.</p>

<p>Well, the white sand beaches don’t start until you get east of Mobile Bay, so Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, and Perdido Key are places to look at. Pensacola Beach isn’t that far out of the way, either.</p>

<p>Try <a href=“http://www.vrbo.com%5B/url%5D”>www.vrbo.com</a>. You can search by location. We have used them to rent condos and houses for vacations before.</p>

<p>That’s a good idea. We’ve used it before to great success. But even it gives about 50 different areas of “Gulf Shores” to select before it brings up any rentals. This area of the country is all new to us! Lots of Texans drive to Florida every summer to go to the beach but we always head to the mountains. I’m looking forward to exploring this area of the country. Just don’t know where to begin!</p>

<p>My family decided to make a vacation of our trip to visit Bama last August, and we stayed on the beach in Gulf Shores. It was great, the beach was nice. Also coming from Texas, the weather was much nicer than what we’d been experiencing at home. Anyway, I’ll have to ask my mom the name of the place where we stayed, because I can’t remember off the top of my head.
I’ll say this: there doesn’t seem to be a very direct route from Gulf Shores to Tuscaloosa. I remember a lot of turns, and not so much time on the highway.</p>

<p>Personally, we love the Orange Beach area! If you are looking for just a 1 bedroom condo you might try any of the Phoenix Condos. Tradewinds would also be a good choice. We usually rent through Meyer Real Estate at [Gulf</a> Shores Alabama Vacation Rentals | Orange Beach Condos & Beach Houses | Meyer Real Estate](<a href=“http://www.meyerre.com%5DGulf”>http://www.meyerre.com). You can enter your dates, bedroom preferences, etc. and see pictures of the units and virtual tours. At this time of year you may want to look for a condo with an indoor pool. We usually rent 2 and 3 bedroom units, so don’t have as much experience with 1 bedroom. Good Luck!</p>

<p>I have no idea where the college spring breakers are, but I personally would not want to be anywhere near that environment and would find out prior to any booking.<br>
We stay at the Hilton Pensacola Beach Gulf Front and book a Junior Suite as it has a separate bedroom, living area and a separate niche with bunk beds. We are Hilton Honors Diamond so are upgraded to suites for free and receive free breakfast. Great reviews and pictures on tripadvisor.com.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. We are booked for Orange Beach! Since it will still be February, I’m guessing we won’t run into too many spring breakers.</p>

<p>DD plus 8 sorority sisters and 9 fraternity boys will be heading to Destin for Spring Break…they leave Friday March 9th! We have rented them a beach house for the week…fingers crossed the house is still standing when it’s time to head back to Bama…</p>

<p>Orange Beach will be a good choice and it will be too soon for the spring breakers. Our favorite restaurants in that area are: Original Oyster House, Mikee’s, The Hangout and Lulu’s. Enjoy your trip!</p>