About IB predicted score

<p>Hi everyone ,
In terms of EA, how do the IB predicted score work?
Please help!!</p>

<p>Anyone knows about that? Please help!!</p>

<p>Pretty sure it depends on the school…</p>

<p>My School sends the predicted grades with the transcript.</p>

<p>Do you mean for admissions? Because I think different universities will also consider that differently. My school didn’t really emphasize predicted grades, and I had to go to some effort to get them when a specific application wanted them.
I would talk to the guidance counselors at your school. I’m willing to bet they’ve had way more experience with this.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if this is what you are asking, but for each IB subject, the teacher has to send to IB the predicted score along with the IA score, by March 15 (usually is entered by the IB coordinator). The predicted score is what the teacher thinks the student will make in the course overall, including the IA and EA. Moderators will look at this to see that it somewhat matches what the student actually makes. Otherwise, it is not part of the actual IB grade. In my experience, this grade was not sent to colleges, since at best it is a guess.</p>

<p>If I want EA does that mean the IB programme is totally useless since I can’t get any official score?</p>

<p>I’m not sure what you are asking, but here is what the EA is. EA = external assessment. These are the tests you take at the end, usually in May in the US, and are called papers. For example, in IB HL Biology, there is a paper 1 (multiple choice), paper 2 (data based questions, short answer and essay), and paper 3 (the “options” - 2 topics taught in greater detail). These are taken and mailed off, similar to what happens when you take an AP exam in May, it too is mailed off. The IA is the internal assessment - something that is graded by the teacher, then a sample of those is sent to an external moderator (grader) to be graded to determiine if the teacher is grading correctly. In the sciences, the IA is your lab component. All these things are combined to determine your IB grade at the end. Using IBHL Biology again, paper 1 is 20%, paper 2 is 36%, paper 3 is 20%, and the IA is 24%. This is a difference from AP, where the whole grade is determined by what you make on the test; in IB, part of your grade is determined by something you do at the school (IA). In BOTH cases, you take tests in May, the scores are available in July, so I don’t know what you are saying is useless. The predicted grade isn’t meant for students or colleges, as I said in a previous post it is for teachers to send to IB as a comparison for IB moderators. A college isn’t going to give you credit because you or your teacher says they “predict” you’ll get a 4 in AP or a 5 in IB. For either one, you have to report your actual score, and those become available at approximately the same time in July.</p>

<p>Ohhhh I meant the early admission or early decision :)</p>

<p>Sorry, I had IB on the brain! No, you wouldn’t have any scores to report, but showing that you are taking the most challenging curriculum your school has to offer should help with admission.</p>

<p>Would you still get an IB score if you don’t submit an IA but take the external assessment?</p>

<p>@Booberrypi78 - It’s not related to the original question, but the answer to your question is no. The IB score is dependent on both the IA and EA components. I suppose if you didn’t take the exam at the end of the year, you would get a 0 on it and they might still give you an overall score for the subject, but it would be a terrible score.</p>

<p>Last year my D’s school sent her predicted IB scores with her transcripts for EA, early admission, applications. The only time there would be a concern is if your final score is much lower than the predicted score. You can gain an offer based on your predicted IB along with your current grades.</p>