“Accept or Decline Award” — now or wait until decide if attending?

My son has received the “wildcat nonresidential award 100,“ which is the value of the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. It is asking him to “accept or decline” the award. We have both read through the materials, but it’s not clear if accepting means he intends to enroll, or if accepting means he wants the award in the case that he does enroll.

He does not want the scholarship to disappear if he needs to accept it now but doesn’t, but he also is not likely to make a decision before March.

Does that question make any sense?

ETA: OK, he just checked his Mississippi state portal and he’s running into the same issue there. So if anybody knows how this is supposed to go, accept only when you decide to enroll, or accept now, please let us know! He actually accepted the invitation to the Mississippi State Honors College before he thought about the fact that maybe it was only supposed to be if he was enrolling, so he’s a little nervous.

You can call and ask but no don’t there is no binding until you pay an enrollment deposit and even that isn’t binding - until likely May 1.

I wouldn’t be at all concerned about accepting but make the call for peace of mind.

1 Like

Mississippi State will hold the offer until you register for orientation, which is how they determine you are enrolling. We didn’t know where child was going until late April and had no issues. When we registered for orientation, we just checked a box in the portal that we accepted the scholarship.

Miss State does not require an enrollment deposit, but if your child is considering attending, I would highly recommend putting down the $100 to reserve housing. This years freshman class was the largest ever and there were lots of housing scrambled up to the last minute. My child had 3 changes before showing up in August

1 Like

For Kansas State same advice as Mississippi State. I seem to remember accepting and paying a housing deposit so we got the scholarships and housing locked in. We didn’t make the final decision to go there til March when we got offered the big program he was waiting for! We did find that if you call and ask they were always helpful and you didn’t have to give your name if you don’t want to. My son has been very happy at K-State!

3 Likes