Acceptance to engineering

@cecp2015‌ Im currently a junior with similar stats SAT is 1410 (M/CR) GPA 3.92 (IB unweighted) top 5% and lots or service hours through IB, Eagle scout and NJROTC. With the problems people are having with getting into COE, as an OOS, I may be looking for another school for petroleum engineering. Hard for me to take a chance on getting PETE and paying OOS tuition. This change in COE to me does not make sense to meat all and going to Blinn I would rather pass at this time as I have not heard of anyone transferring into PETE from Blinn under the new guidelines. Good luck on COE.

md21403 – If you are a junior, you can still apply August 1st and avoid the wondering. With your scores and your ranking, you are an automatic acceptance and, if you apply early, you would probably be in the 85% that get accepted into engineering right away and avoid the engineering review. You may also be eligible for in-state tuition.

@NETarrantMom‌ I plan on applying come 8/1 for engineering. Issue that is hard for me that I need to take a semester or year to interview for my major that I want (PETE), after completing my basic requirements. To me it just seems strange, if you know what major you want from day 1 and not have to compete for it after the fact. Say that you get a A in physics 218 and ENG 101 and B in Math 151 or 152 depending on AP/IB credits. That B could prevent me from getting into PETE and then I would have to transfer to another PETE program. Granted right now, with a lot of the fracking companies, mid majors and service companies laying off now, it should not be the case in 5 years come graduation. Yes, I have read that PETE is very much cycles but… My concern is that you compete to get in to TAMU/COE and turn around and compete for your major. It is not this this way at other major engineering schools.

@md21403 Applying to different departments within engineering is how many schools operate (at least that’s what my son found out when he was looking into different engineering schools). I always thought A&M was more of an exception, until now.

@md21403 & @inspiration12 Purdue’s admission is to Engineering. You apply to your major sophomore year. Retention from freshman to sophomore year is a big problem for engineering schools. Many students are overwhelmed by the amount of work. Others start in one engineering major and then decide on another. Having everyone start with pretty much the same freshman classes seems to improve retention, and reduce major changes.

I read my post, but it wasn’t clear. I meant to say: Applying to different departments AFTER you are initially admitted to general engineering is how most schools operate. Students will then apply based on a competitive basis. Texas A&M was different is this respect. Sorry about the confusion…

^^ @Beaudreau’s right. I attended an A&M engineering departmental recruitment meeting fairly recently – it was happenstance that I was there. The people conducting the meeting made all of Beaudreau’s points and more. According to the biggest wig there, the COE deliberately aligned their engineering admissions-to-majors process with several other well-known engineering schools. Purdue was one of the ones they specifically mentioned. I’m pretty sure Michigan was another. There were a few others mentioned, too. All big names in engineering. So it’s really not true that A&M is the first or only school to do it this way. They’re apparently emulating other schools that have had success with the process. But I do understand the frustration. It’s hard on incoming freshmen applicants.

@SimpleLife Yes, Michigan is the same as Purdue and TAMU.

Okay. Thanks, Beaudreau! :slight_smile:

@SimpleLife My son also visited and was accepted by Michigan and Purdue, so he wasn’t put off by the new TAMU Engineering policy

Michigan Engineering says (http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/academics/undergrad/degrees):

To give students the opportunity to explore the numerous engineering degrees offered by the College, first year undergraduate engineering students not transferring from another institution of higher education enter the College without declaring a specific engineering major. None of the majors require any 100-level courses to be taken by a student other than those in the common engineering, math and science core. Students are urged to declare a specific engineering major by the start of their 3rd term of enrollment. Undeclared students cannot register for a 4th term in the College unless they have met with their advisor and developed a plan to select and declare a major within a reasonable time. This plan can be developed in coordination among the EAC advisors and departmental program advisors.

@ba7091‌ You’ve probably heard about the application process which starts today. Here is what I know.

Applications open Monday, February 9 and close Tuesday, March 3. Students can apply to 2 majors.
Students must decide between April 2 and April 8th on the majors they have been offered .
Pre-Registration for Summer and Fall 2015 classes begins April 9 through April 24.

A student may be offered both majors if they applied to 2, offered one or offered none. If they are offered they have to make a decision. If not offered a major they can reapply next semester. The minimum requirement is 1 math, 1 science and 1 engineering class. There were 2764 students in engineering 111 for the fall. I assume most of them will be applying to the different engineering majors this semester.

The application seems pretty straightforward and relatively easy. There are 2 common sections for all majors and each major has their specific question. The departments will not share information or selections. Each is supposed to be independent. Each of the essay sections is limited to 250 words. Short and sweet.

My son heard that first semester GPA will account for about 60% of the application score. They will also look at test scores (I assume ACT/SAT) and the math placement exam score. He thought the essay section was only 15% of the score.

So as of April 2 the students should know more of what the future holds.

@md21403‌
You should consider the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Tulsa. Both have top-notch Petroleum Engineering programs.

@kldat1 thanks for all the info! I did not know the percentage breakdown that you gave so that was most helpful. Good luck to all the kids!