Accepted by higher-tier uc?

<p>Are they allowed to do that, though? It's already been confirmed that UCs don't communicate as to who applied where, so if you have a 4.5 UC GPA and 2400 SAT and applied to UCSC, they would have to act as if you planned on attending, wouldn't they?</p>

<p>I agree with dmission. The UCs should not be allowed to turn down over qualified kids. That should be the students decisions. UCs are considerably cheaper than private colleges and are funded by tax payers dollars. Often they are financial safety.</p>

<p>Here is a scenario (which is not our situation, BTW). A kid applies to several top tiered schools, but is not given finaid at any of them (which happens to many middle class families). Kid also applies to several UCs as finanical safeties. Like my son, they asked to apply for merit scholarships at a couple of them. Perhaps UCSC (being the least selective of the list) is the only one that comes through. If the kid needs to go to the less expensive school, then UCSC would win out. </p>

<p>BTW, my son was accepted at UCLA with honors. We are still waiting on Berkeley.</p>

<p>I agree as well, however for future reference for students that prefer smaller schools, there are less selective privates that award great deals of money. i have gotten money at 5 of the 9 i have gotten in to and it is not need based at all.
talk to a school counselor or college rep but schools like trinity in san antonio and chapman are known to "buy" good students. </p>

<p>good luck.</p>

<p>i got rejected from davis (#4) but got into san diego (#3)</p>

<p>i got rejected from irvine, but accepted into SD and LA</p>

<p>I've heard of colleges (not just UCs) rejecting overqualified student because they think they wouldn't go even if they got accepted. I guess they want to save the spots for students who they think will actually go.</p>

<p>but colleges often accept more than they can take in because they are banking that most of the acceptances wont matriculate</p>

<p>natsu, i have heard the same thing</p>

<p>they realized everyone is applying to lots of schools PLUS it is a peak of high school graduates applying for schools, so they want people who will go to the school. I get what you are saying tr1p7s, but this year they are scared their actual enrollment might be lower (due to the face that students are applying to many colleges)</p>

<p>^ this doesn't happen at the UCs.</p>