Accepted by higher-tier uc?

<p>are there anyone who was rejected by ucsd but accept to la or berk??</p>

<p>i got into ucd and uci…but i just found out that i was rejected by ucsd…dang…</p>

<p>I knew someone from my school who was rejected from SD last year, but got into LA for Electrical Engineering. He had many EC's although his test scores and GPA were not that great.</p>

<p>UCSD generally is considered a high-tier UC, but not as high as B or LA</p>

<p>Yeah, I've always heard of SD as being the third best only to LA and Cal; it is top-tier.</p>

<p>LA and Cal use "holistic" admissions so it's possible.</p>

<p>Yeah I know two people that got rejected from SD but got into Berk</p>

<p>i hope so!</p>

<p>I hope it's possible!</p>

<p>this guy last year got rejected from irvine
but got into LA
so anything's possible!</p>

<p>God, I'm hoping one of these anomalies happens to me.</p>

<p>My son got into UCSD, and was invited to apply for Regents at UCLA (so we assume he is accepted). Get this - he was rejected by UCSC! This was esp weird since he got a letter from UCSC telling him he was in the top 1% of the applicant pool and asked him to fill out some scholarship apps.</p>

<p>^ That must be an error of some kind!</p>

<p>Well, I did write to someone at UCSC and ask about it, and they are looking into it. It is not terribly important, since he is going to Caltech. I am curious, because he applied by Exam, and I want to see if that system works, since my daughter will be applying in a couple of years.</p>

<p>Why would you son need to apply to the UC's by exam? I thought that was if your GPA was below the cutoff of 3.0 or something.</p>

<p>^ Caltech?! If he was accepted there, then UCSC I imagine would be bending over backwards to induce your son to attend.
Interesting though that there may be some glitch involved in the applying by exam. Did he also take that route for the other UCs?</p>

<p>He home schools. </p>

<p>He actually has all the a-g's except the Art requirement, but only one is from an acredited institution (EPGY). The rest are self study or from some homeschooled groups. He has As in every class that was graded by an outside source. He has 2270 SAT, plus three 800 SATIIs. He has 7 AP scores of 5. He has some amazing math ECs and Awards.</p>

<p>I did think it was odd that UCSC would turn him down, after Caltech (and MIT, BTW) both accepted him EA. When i wrote to them, I expected them to say they turned him down because he didnt turn in the scholarship application and nothing says "not interested' like turning down free money, but apparently that is not the case. </p>

<p>Yes, he applied to all by Exam. Actually, there is no place on the application to say you are applying by exam. I think they just assume it if your a-gs are not complete. Apparently only 200-300 students take that route each year.</p>

<p>I suspected he might have been home schooled.
Do the 200-300 students refer to UCSC or UCs in general? Is it possible that UCSC has so few (or maybe never) applications by Exam as compared to SD, LA, B that there was a clerical error or misunderstanding regarding the process? Perhaps a couple of readers saw the missing Art requirement, put the application aside..who knows?
If your D eventually will take the same route, it's worth getting it cleared up.</p>

<p>The UCs just published a 168 paper regarding potential reform. It is the same doc that talked about dropping the SAT IIs. On page 48 they talk about the Exam option, and I got the 200-300 number from that. It is for the entire system! <a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/senate/underreview/sw.rev.eligibility.02.08.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/senate/underreview/sw.rev.eligibility.02.08.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I also got the impression that the Exam option might start being used mre often. </p>

<p>But, yes, I do think that this is worth pursuing. Future homeschoolers might benefit. Besides, there is something disconcerting about being turned down by your ultimate safety!</p>

<p>He has been accepted at UCSD. Back in November, I called their admissions office to see how they handled E by E apps, and they said they get so few, they look at them seperately. It will be interesting to see what Cal and UCLA does. </p>

<p>Thanks for yout input!</p>

<p>Oh, and to im_blue - You are thinking of Entrance by Exception. Entrance by Exam looks at your SAT and SATII scores, if you have a deficiency in your a-gs. Entrance by Exam looks at you if you are not qualified.</p>

<p>i've heard of schools rejecting you because they know (or strongly suspect) that you wouldn't attend if you were accepted. in other words, you're way overqualified.</p>