ACT accommodations streamlined

ACT Streamlines Accommodations Eligibility Requirements for Students with IEPs, 504 Plans

ACT
July 21, 2021

ACT Streamlines Accommodations Eligibility Requirements for Students with IEPs, 504 Plans Policy Change for 2021-22 School Year Expedites Process to Save Educators, Families, Students Time

IOWA CITY, Iowa—ACT, the nonprofit developer of the ACT test, today announced plans to increase accessibility to the ACT test for students with disabilities by streamlining accommodations eligibility requirements. ACT will approve allowable accommodations already included in students’ Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) or 504 plans.

Beginning with the 2021-22 testing year, students who already receive accommodations at their school under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act will automatically be eligible to receive the allowable testing accommodations when they register for the ACT with accommodations.

1 Like

This will hopefully take away some of the barriers for the low SES families and schools where I volunteer. It is so difficult for GCs to keep on top of all of the paperwork; they’re severely short-handed and most are juggling regular GC duties along with 504/IEP duties and ACT/SAT accommodation duties. So many kids miss out on accommodations just because of delays in paperwork.

2 Likes

Wow. That is really helpful. I spend a year negotiating with the College Board for one kid and a year negotiating with the ACT for the other kid. I had left time for it and I am particularly good at this kind of thing so I suspect that most people would not have succeeded.