Actual Results Thread for Latinos (Hispanics)

Let’s start this thread so we can see where Latino (Hispanic) students were accepted and their stats :slight_smile:

Make sure you remove the space right after the first [ in each line!

Where were you accepted:
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program:

[ b]Stats:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT:
[ *] SAT IIs:
[ *] ACT:
[ *] GPA:
[ *] Rank:
[ *] Ap Courses:
[ *] Other stats:
[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays:
[ *] Teacher Recs:
[ *] Counselor Rec:
[ *] Hook (if any): um yeah, were all URM!
[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country:
[ *] School Type:
[ *] Gender:
[ *] major strength/weakness:
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were:
[ *] significant awards/recongitions:
[ *] summer activities:
[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b]

I’ll post for my S. I want to encourage young Hispanics with no so perfect SATs to apply to reach schools

**Stats:[ applied 5 schools
Univ AZ Honors- accepted
Univ CO Boulder- accepted
Cornell - accepted
Univ Rochester- accepted
Brown - accepted
[] SAT: 1920
[
] SAT II Biology 760
[] ACT: 30
[
] GPA: 4.0 unweighted
[li] Rank: top 15/900. - never asked officially[/li][ *] Ap Courses: world history(5) Calc
[ *] Other stats: IB diploma candidate
[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays: ? focussed on passion for learning and evolution and unique family

[ *] Hook (if any): um yeah, were all URM!
[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country: west Texas
[ *] School Type: large public title I
[ *] Gender: M
[ *] major strength/weakness:
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: essays, unique family situation
[ *] significant awards/recognitions: national Hispanic scholars
[ *] summer activities: intern DA’s office

I will post for D:

Where were you accepted: University of Chicago
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: Received several merit awards at colleges; received a University Scholars merit award from UChicago of $30,000 a year

[ b]Stats: Top 2% in class of 400+

[ *] SAT: SAT 2280 CR 800 M 760 W 720 single sitting

[ *] SAT II: took Math II 700+ English 700+ (just not remembering exact score)

[ *] ACT: N/A

[ *] GPA: 3.6 weighted 4.3

[ *] Rank: 7

[ *] Ap Courses: AP AB Calculus (5) BC Calculus (5) AP English Comp(5), AP English Lit(5), AP Gov., AP Microeconomics, AP Human Geography, AP Statistics (4), AP Physics(3) and the rest of classes are PreAP, dual college credit; self studied AP Psychology (5) and AP World History (4)

[ *] Other stats: took 8 AP tests

[ /list][ b]Subjective: EC’s included 4 years in orchestra with 3 at highest level; participation in orchestra regionals, tutoring, Honor Society, Creative Writing Club Published some poetry and received recognition locally

[ *] Essays: Good- writing is a strength

[ *] Teacher Recs. : Good, but did not see them

[ *] Counselor Rec.: Good, but did not see it

[ *] Hook (if any): um yeah, were all URM! Yes, Hispanic

[ /list][ b]Location/Person: N/A what does this even mean?

[ *] State or Country: Texas

[ *] School Type: Public- very racially and socio economically diverse

[ *] Gender: Female

[ *] major strength/weakness: OK EC’s but no visible leadership

[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: UChicago really emphasizes the essays and she is a strong writer- I think her voice came though strongly

[ *] significant awards/recognitions: National Hispanic Scholar, National Merit Finalist/Scholar, AP Scholar with Distinction

[ *] summer activities: this was one of her strengths- she has participated in a summer performance arts camp for years beginning in middle school and then being an intern. The LOR from the staff of the camp loved her and I’m sure that this helped show a side of her that wasn’t obvious from her app

[ /list][ b]Other Factors: Accepted at Univ of Arizona with merit, Casewestern Reserve Univ with merit, Austin College with merit, Hendrix College with merit, Grinnell College with merit, Emory and Washington University St Louis with no merit.

Good luck to future classes!

@goingnutsmom Did you also get 4K for NHRP/NMS merit and did that stack with any Need award? Or did you just get the 30K merit award only?

@Dolemite No stacking. Somewhere on their website it said no stacking but just to be sure she checked with her admissions rep at UChicago and they let her know that there would be no stacking. Bummer. But the $30,000 was way way more than we ever thought she would get. We were not expecting any merit from them actually except the National Merit so when they gave her the merit award it was a done deal as this was her first choice. She had thought about applying to Brown but it was not her first choice.

As far as financial need, no we were not getting anything from need and we knew that. I imagine that if they gave a University Scholar merit award and a family qualified for financial aid then yes, it would stack. But this award would not stack with another merit award.

UChicago also flew her out in October to visit. She was very impressed with the students that they flew out and thought that they were incredibly smart and talented. They then offered to fly her again in April but since she was sure that she was going she didn’t take them up on it and she had a bunch of other commitments. They have been incredibly generous to her. She is very excited to be there soon. If you want any other tips pm me.

Thanks for the information.