Actual Results with Net Cost—Suburban NY, WF, CS, 1550+, 4.0 UW

Delete

She used Stanford ULO. She didn’t love it—but she wanted something with at least one live class a week. We also looked at Harvard Extension, CTY, and a few others.

Very helpful. Thank you.

But that’s exactly why it can be so difficult for high-stats kids.

1 Like

No doubt. It’s a great lesson. Just blows my mind.

But it’s BU’s choice.

Glad OP got into MIT. Say BU was 2nd choice. Then what. Not fair but it is BU’s Choice.

Maybe there were other reasons. Just something MIT saw that BU didn’t.

But we’ll never know.

I hope future superstars see the thread as we see a lot of BU level schools listed as likely. Or even if target but the kid assumes it’s a safety in their mind.

But definitely a result for others to learn from.

1 Like

I think, in that case, the lesson is that it is on the kid to show interest…which she would have done if she hadn’t gotten into MIT.

We’ll never know if that would have made the difference… but if a school that tracks interest is high on your list, make sure to show interest!

1 Like

In theory though the interest would have needed to start earlier - b4 apps. Opening emails. Playing videos, attending a session.

Truth is there’s no way to know why there was a WL. The logical assumption though given the MIT acceptance was it had to be something outside the portfolio such as DI.

But waiting for an MIT answer, it would have been too late if DI was the culprit.

Anyway it’s educational for those in future cycles. Your result is fantastic. And the what ifs don’t matter in this case - related to you.

Congrats to your student again.

I think that demonstrating interest between the application and the answer is also acceptable, especially with all these COVID years.

In this case, she applied RD but with the earlier scholarship deadline. So, a mere two weeks had elapsed between submitting BU and hearing back from MIT.

If she hadn’t heard good news from MIT in mid-December, she would have actively engaged with BU throughout January and February.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.