Adjusting to life in the South

<p>I am on track to attend UA as a freshman in 2014 and I am wondering how difficult it is for OOS students like myself (Illinois) to adjust to living in the South. This might seem like a silly question but I have heard that the South is quite different from the Midwest. I have been on vacation to Alabama before but only to the coast, Gulf Shores, so I have not had much exposure to what Alabama is like apart from the vacation side of things. Any help?</p>

<p>It will be an adjustment: it is initially very surprising when everyone you meet makes eye contact, smiles, acknowledges you and is extremely polite.</p>

<p>Eventually you will adapt and adopt…</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info! I’m glad to hear that people are friendly because sometimes I get fed up with the lack of friendliness of some of the people in the Midwest. What about political aspects and social acceptance? I am quite liberal and I know how conservative Alabama is. Should I even worry about it at a school of 30k+ students?</p>

<p>There is very little diversity in the Southeast–where I live, Caucasians make up about 90% of the population. Also, yeah, a lot of conservatives down here. I used to be influenced by them, but I’m a democrat now, so you just have to be very open-minded about that kind of stuff. I guarantee there are other students like you out there, so don’t worry too much about it.</p>

<p>As a Midwesterner you really won’t have issues. The friendliness is the same. </p>

<p>It’s a bigger adjustment for those from the NE, in my opinion.</p>

<p>No friendliness in the Midwest!? Y’all should visit Kansas sometime then.</p>

<p>baekhunnifer, 90% Caucasian is very unusual for the Southeastern US. Most of the areas in Alabama are anywhere from 80% to 40% Caucasian. Minorities tend to be mostly African American, but there is a growing Latino presence-this area is one of the fastest growing for Latinos. My area probably has 25% AA, 10 to 12% Latino.
There are Asians, but they tend to be concentrated in the coastal areas.
Find more specific info here: [Stats</a> about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more](<a href=“http://www.city-data.com/]Stats”>http://www.city-data.com/)</p>

<p>You will also have to adjust to great weather, pretty girls in shorts and tank tops, amazing barbecue, overt patriotism and SEC football!!</p>

<p>My son, now a senior at UA, is a liberal from a very blue state that is the most racially diverse state in the union. His verbatim take on 'Bama as a freshman, 3 years ago: “Zero culture shock.”</p>

<p>Roll Tide and welcome!</p>

<p>There are so many students that are out of state! My daughter only knows four people that are from the south.</p>

<p>There is very little diversity in the Southeast – where I live, Caucasians make up about 90% of the population</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>What weird area in the SE do YOU live. What you’re describing is rare, and should never be used to imply that the SE is like where you live.</p>

<p>AA’s make up 30% of the population in many/most SE areas. Then when you add in other ethnic groups, that would put Whites at less than 70%.</p>

<p>Edited to add…I see that you’re in Florida. That’s not really representative of the SE. Florida has many Hispanics, but maybe you live in a more unique area.</p>

<p>I am quite liberal and I know how conservative Alabama is</p>

<p>Univs tend to be more liberal because of the influences of the profs. The profs are from everywhere. </p>

<p>Bama is more middle of the road with a broad spectrum.</p>

<p>I’m from Alabama but haven’t lived there in years (actually decades). I have experienced culture shock following several moves. But one does adjust. And mom2collegekids is right-a university setting will have a different climate than a town without a university. My DD has grown up in a different environment than what would be considered typical of a small southern city, but she has felt completely comfortable in Ttown and on campus when visiting.</p>

<p>My D is a freshman at UA, her roommate is from Florida (a very diverse area), her best friends in her sorority house are from California, North Carolina, New York, etc. A very diverse group that we met at parents weekend and they were all very friendly as were their parents.</p>

<p>My son is from New Orleans. He has roommates from Colorado and Long Island. Other friends from California and Chicago. He has dated a girl from Indiana. Trust me, there is no formula. You will do fine.</p>

<p>The only thing you need to know is that Southerners are serious about their Football. Start paying attention to the SEC Football teams now and you’ll be ready to jump into conversations when you set foot on campus. And if you attend UA, you might be required to hate Auburn! Oh, and learn how to drink Sweet Tea!</p>

<p>You will fit right in, no worries! </p>

<p>Having lived on both the east coast and in the midwest, I always thought the midwest had the nicest people. I was wrong! There is nothing quite like southern hospitality and Alabama makes the Midwest seem like you are on the East Coast in comparison! :wink: </p>

<p>(Sorry if I am offending any EC friends! I love the EC, but it’s just got a different vibe)</p>

<p>Plus Illinois has fantastic Alabama alumni and parent groups!</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry about it. If my Illinois daughter has suffered any culture shock, she’s forgotten to mention it to me. I think she’s found that people in Tuscaloosa are friendlier than they are here (suburban Chicago). When she decided to attend UA, she said that she’d have to get nicer to fit in. She must have gotten nicer, because she’s doing just fine at Alabama.</p>

<p>Thank you all! This is great news for me (:</p>

<p>No problem adjusting for my WI son. His roommates are from IL, PA, and NC and he has friends are from all over the country, including AL. He made a lot of close friends through AA.</p>