Adjusting to life in the South

<p>It’s wonderful that students from all over the country attend 'Bama. But for the record, most of my way-out-of-state son’s friends at UA are from the South. During his freshman year, he remarked, “I’ve learned that people are people.”</p>

<p>Yes, indeed. Roll Tide. :)</p>

<p>All of these out of state students are bringing in a whole lot more tuition money than if they were in state students. This is really good financial news for UA. While other schools are cutting back, etc., UA is raising faculty salaries, and building up and expanding its already gorgeous campus.</p>

<p>Sophomore son and roommate are both from the suburban Chicago area. Every phone conversation begins with “How is it going”. His response is always “Great”. He loves it there, so does his roommate. The only slight issue has been allergies, he doesn’t have them in Illinois, but they pop up in the south. He’s mentioned how friendly everyone is.</p>

<p>His apartment-The Lofts is fantastic, he belongs to a fraternity and is always going to swaps-which are fraternity/sorority parties, loves the football and is doing well academically. His schedule is overloaded-he’s also involved in research, shadowing, volunteer work, fraternity intramurals -basketball and flag football and his southern sorority girlfriend.<br>
If you get involved, at any school, you should have a wonderful experience, it’s what you make of it.</p>

<p>And here’s another example of southern hospitality. </p>

<p>My daughter has joined the triathlon club and she ended up showing up late for a scheduled run. The rest of the team had already left, but the cheerleading squad was there and about to begin their workout run.</p>

<p>They saw she was alone and invited her to join them on their run. She not only ran with them but was also invited to join them afterwards for their conditioning workout. She was pleasantly surprised. </p>

<p>My daughter is typically reserved, and would not have approached another group. They noticed she was alone and needed someone to run with and invited her to join them. How nice was that?</p>

<p>I suppose if you have to adjust to life in the South, it would be adjusting to how nice everyone is!</p>

<p>you notice you never see a southern person say hey, is it going to be ok for me to head to school in the northeast or chicago?
the self appointed tolerant folks from new york,chicago san fran etc are actually the intolerant people who love stereotypes and being judgmental.
funny (IMO)</p>

<p>I’ve gotta agree, zobroward. My son is at another college in the south and we are from the midwest. The people are just as nice and unpretentious, and they have better manners. I’d also add that in my experience (living in and visiting the south over many years), southern cities are more integrated than northern ones. In fact the overwhelming majority of the most segregated cities are in the north (two sources with slightly different lists…take your pick).</p>

<p>[The</a> 10 most segregated urban areas in America | Slide Show - Salon.com](<a href=“http://www.salon.com/2011/03/29/most_segregated_cities/slide_show/10]The”>http://www.salon.com/2011/03/29/most_segregated_cities/slide_show/10)</p>

<p>[Most</a> Segregated Cities Census Maps - Business Insider](<a href=“Most Segregated Cities Census Maps”>Most Segregated Cities Census Maps)</p>