Admissions Corner: Get Your Questions Answered by a Former Stanford Admissions Officer

@Polybius, I’d absolutely write about the ideas discussed in a research paper submitted to a journal or competition. Does getting published help more? Of course. But a pub. like C. Review has a single-digit publication rate.

There is absolutely no shame in not getting published. You still get tons of credit for taking the time to craft an original research paper: that shows intellectual vitality (IV) and serious initiative–a compelling personal quality.

–MCS

1 Like

@SevroAuBarca, as a general policy I’m not reviewing specific essays or apps emailed to me pro bono–I’ve just had way too many asks and I’m already at full capacity with pro bono kids I mentor. But I’m happy to discuss any questions you feel comfortable posing on this thread–especially if you think others would benefit from hearing them.

In general, I’m all-for unusual essays–swing big! You need to stand out, be memorable, and win over a bored, jaded, speed-reading stranger!

–MCS

Hello,
So my daughter got accepted to loyola university with 25k merit scholarship. Which is great But the cost will now be 50k! How can I get that amount way down?

I don’t have any financial aid or merit scholarship expertise. I know with law school, when I obtained merit awards from one school, I was able to go back to another school and get them to give me more aid. It’s possible that could work if your daughter gets into another school that gives her more aid. Obtaining an RA position in college would provide her free room and board. I’m sure there are some scholarships out there she could apply for (maybe getting a little late).

But again, I’m just speculating like any other CC poster on this topic–I’d try and ask someone who has worked in a financial aid office at a college.

–MCS

Hey @anon45019500, I had a quick question I wanted to ask. Prior to submitting a research paper I had written to an academic journal, I wanted to get some feedback from a well regarded professor in a field related to my work. After a few emails back and forth with a professor, I got some great feedback as well as some very positive quotes about my research. From the perspective of an admission officer, do you think it is appropriate or adds any value to my application to include these quotes in my personal essay, supplements, or additional information section of the Common App? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Ok thanks so much for your insight.

@veritas02 You don’t want to quote a professor in your essays or apps. Professor Redmond said, “Your research is stunning–especially for a high schooler.” I get it. It’s a powerful quote that authenticates your research. But it sounds too braggy, right?

But here’s some ideas.

First, why don’t we ask that Professor to write a rec.? I’d just explain the dilemma to him–‘I didn’t expect your positive feedback. I know colleges can be skeptical of research. Is there any chance you could write that in a few sentences as a letter of rec for me? (Honestly, a paragraph most.)’ etc. etc.

Second, if we don’t feel good about the rec. letter ask, we could also just ask the Prof. if it would be OK for you to forward his email to the teacher/person writing your recommendation letter. Then that person could quote the professor saying that. You know, that could be maybe the better way to get the rec. letter too. Right? You start by asking the Professor to forward it, I could see him saying: “No need. I’m happy to write a short letter for you myself.”

Third, I do think we can still talk about this–just not by dropping compliments. So it works fine to talk about being in dialogue with a professor and the ideas you discussed. That’s great.

–MCS

Hello @anon45019500,

I’m a current senior, and I have a couple of questions about how my application would be looked at. I grew up overseas, and I had a terrible 3.0 GPA. Due to excruciating Circumstances that we’re worthy of being my common app topic. I’m looking to study economics, and I am dual-enrolling at a college. My GPA last semester was 4.5 and 4.3 the semester before. I have many consistent extracurricular activities. I have had a two-month internship, developed a competitive showjumping career, volunteered multiple times—at the same place. Considering my upward grade trend, highly rigorous senior course load—that I got all As in—how would I be viewed?

I am from India, and I am attending a local private school, 15min from my house.
I am planning … no, not planning … I WANT TO major in Physics. It was my dream as far as I can remember to do something for the whole of humanity, and as I grew up, my interest in maths & sciences grew up, and ultimately I found that Physics is my love. I want to something revolutionary in physics that could accelerate the development of the human species as a whole.

And as per the point you told me, that’s definitely the thing I want to do. I want to make the world a better place to live; humans, animals and plants, for all. Since I’ve seen the days which were worse than the worst nightmare as a 10 year-old child, I NEVER-EVER want anyone to get through the same situation as mine. (I have written all this is my additional essay for Harvard REA)
And as I loved to study, in class 4th I was actually studying maths of class 6th. But even then I didn’t get help from anywhere to continue studying in school and so had to drop out. Father was busy in work so as to make enough for a one-time meal for us, and mother was ill, so being the eldest child (I have a sister 4 years younger than me, and a brother 10 years younger) I had to take care of both of them and do all the household work, and find the time to study myself as no one was there to teach me, so I am mostly self-taught.

Considering the scores for each class (which we call “subjects” here in India), these are as follows :

1. English - 92/100
  2. Mathematics - 93/100
  3. Comp. Sci. (with Python) - 55/100
  4. Physics - 78/100
  5. Chemistry - 72/100

I had the highest in all subjects, except in CS I was the 2nd highest scorer and also one of the very rare who can get an above 50 score from her.

Do let me know if you require any further information, and if it’s all sufficient, then what is your final comment on my application :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Hi Michael, can you elaborate on Stanford’s GPA recalculation without freshman year grades? I had a 4.0 unweighted GPA for sophomore and junior year, but only a 3.6 UW GPA for freshman year. I have a 35 ACT superscored and a very rigorous junior year course load. Other than freshman year grades, I believe that the rest of my application is competitive for Stanford.

Hi @anon45019500 I’m currently a Sophomore in highschool. In my school district the highschool credit courses you have taken in Middle School are on your transcript and I wanted to know if they will hurt my chances of admission into a good college. I had B’s in all 4 of those courses in middle school causing my cumulative gpa as of 9th grade to be 3.6. In just 9th grade my GPA was 4.0 and in 10th so far it is a 4.45 which is a pretty decent improvement. I have gotten only 1 B in high school and I’m taking the most rigorous course load my school offers but I am still worried that my HS credit classes in MS will still hurt my college admission chances since they factor into my cumulative GPA. Do you have and advice on how much they will affect my chances at getting into a competitive college and how I can better justify those bad grades to colleges and improve my chances of acceptance?

Hi @anon45019500 I’m currently a freshman in high school. I just wanted to ask if my extracurriculars are enough or If I should do other stuff. I’m in the school’s top band and I’m on track to becoming lead trumpet player. I am planning to play in the district honor band and the Georgia All-State band throughout high school. I’m on track to getting a varsity letter for band all four years of high school. I am the leader of my Boyscout troop and I am very close to earning my eagle scout rank. I am an active member of our schools First Robotics team and I’m on track to becoming the design lead once the current one graduates (He’s a junior). I actively volunteer to teach kids programming and I mentor robotics teams at a local business. My hard to reach school that I want to go to is MIT, the school that I am shooting for is Georgia Tech, and my safety school is UGA. I want to major in either mechatronics, software engineering, or robotics engineering. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

@anon45019500 Thanks so much for doing this! I have really enjoyed reading your thoughts/suggestions!!

1 Like

Hi @anon45019500 !
I’m a senior in highshool in the process of applying to colleges and wanted to see if you had any advice for me. Dartmouth requests 3 recommendations (one of them is a peer rec) but on CommonApp, one can submit 4. I have 4 good recommendations… my question is should I submit them all or would the admissions officers be irritated by the extra letter?
I’ve read in some sites that officers may not like to see materials that weren’t asked for and in others that the extra recommendation can’t hurt - what do you think.

What schools are you targeting? How many years adds up to the 3.0?

Sounds like you have a compelling personal story, a clear academic vision and purpose, and have done as well as you could in your school–right? The international pool from India is uber-competitive. But you sound like an interesting candidate without reviewing your full application. Don’t get bummed if it’s a “no” from Harvard tonight. Single-digit acceptance rate–everyone should assume they’re a “no” with those odds.

–MCS

1 Like

When I was at Stanford, we didn’t officially count grades from Ninth. But I don’t see Stanford advertising that on their site anymore like we used to. So my guess is that’s changed. But I would email and ask. Please let us know what they say–they should be candid with you. My best bet thought is that they’re going to count that 3.6–especially this year when they don’t have scores. And I think that will probably knock you out of the running–sounds like too many Bs to overcome unless your activities and essays are lights-out. But let us know on this thread about 9th–that would be a big assist for you.

–MCS

1 Like

I have plenty of safety and target schools, but the ones I’m curious about are my reaches: Stanford, Columbia, Yale, UCLA, Berkeley, and USC. My GPA consists of the first three years of high school. I got all my grades today, and for this semester — the first semester of my senior year — I have a 4.69. Three of the classes I take are college classes.

Yes, I am rejected :sweat_smile:
But I had planned for a rejection, and began my Stanford application from 15th, and just trying to make it as good as I can.
Any suggestions from you on organizing the points, ECs or a specific way to write essays, or may be any other important advice from your side.
I’d really appreciate if you can guide me a bit :sweat_smile:

I don’t any scenario where a college admission office holds middle school grades against you. Don’t sweat it.

–MCS