Admissions decisions after the fact for an athlete

Say I was denied or waitlisted to a school but I do really well at a sport in my senior season and the coach is now recruiting me. Is there a way to get that decisions changed.

1 Like

Likely depends upon the school, the sport, and your position in acceptance spectrum. If you were waitlisted at Indiana and now the basketball coach wants you is likely to be different than a decline at Harvard in some “minor” sport.

D1 big east track

I’d ask this question to the coach who is recruiting you.

5 Likes

My coach is handling the recruiting and hes said that the college coach will make it happen because thats what d1 coaches can do and I trust my coach but I also know the saying trust but verify.

I strongly encourage you to be involved in the recruiting, own the narrative, and get to know the coach. How could you choose to join a team without knowing the coach at all? I would also ask to chat with some current team members, either in person or via zoom.

I would expect the coach can get beyond the denied/waitlisted situation (which is it?) unless there are D/F grades, an NCAA eligibility issue, and/or a disciplinary issue.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten my result back and my grades are very good, but I am just worried I will be denied and I wanted to know if sports could fix it

Well your post is misleading then. Yes, if a coach gets involved before the admissions decision there will likely be no issue assuming you are NCAA eligible. Have you registered with the NCAA eligibility center? Please get on the phone with the coach and also talk with teammates. Good luck.

It’s conditional on me hitting a mark I haven’t hit yet so I don’t have his help yet but the whole point was to help if I do get denied or waitlisted

1 Like

From my experience with D1/Ivy, the admissions office sets minimum academic standards for recruited athletes and then coaches are mostly free to fill however many slots they’ve been alloted for their sport with whomever meets those academic requirements. Most recruited athletes I’ve interviewed are well beyond the minimum, which sounds like your case as well.

I’ve been involved with situations where an applicant didn’t meet academic minimums, yet the coach argued for an exception to be made. That’s ahead of admission decisions being announced, however. If you are outright denied vs waitlisted, it’s hard for me to imagine that being reversed.

Waitlisted, during a year when admit slots later open up (usually because the college has less admits deciding to matriculate than predicted) might create an opening for you. Depending on the school, even if you didn’t come in as a recruited athlete the coach might give input to Admissions regarding your importance to the team – one more positive for Admissions to weigh. Or the coach might not, so it still comes back to what Mwfan1921 said about getting in touch with the coach, asking them how things work there, and keeping them apprised of your athletic performance plus continued interest in the college/sports program.

1 Like

So if I get denied am I out of luck

There are too many ifs here. You haven’t hit the mark yet and you have no college coach support. Why not wait and see what happens if you hit the mark?

Bit if you do hit the mark as a senior, after already being denied, can a coach reverse that?

I find it hard to believe that a coach has that much power in a sport such as track. Maybe a more high profile sport? The admissions office still has to admit you. If you’re talking about after decisions have been released, it seems pretty optimistic to think a coach can get you into a college where you’ve been denied. That might mean someone they already accepted might have to have an offer rescinded.

This is all too speculative.

1 Like

Also if you haven’t yet “hit a mark” are you sure the coach hasn’t already found another recruit to fill that slot?

1 Like

Whatever fine college you end up at probably won’t have a lot to do with luck. Applicants work however hard and achieve however much they achieve relative to other applicants, and then some very dedicated people (AOs) work tirelessly over a period of months to sort it all out.

I understand your feeling of uncertainty and the desire to figure out whatever can be figured out to remedy some of that uncertainty, but your situation isn’t fundamentally different from all the other applicants: Hardly anyone can know for certain what their outcome(s) will be. So do the things people have talked about here (if so inclined), but more importantly just keep working toward the most successful senior year you can put together (academically, athletically, socially, happiness-ly). Things tend to take care of themselves, in some form or another, for people like you who work hard (ok, sort of an oxymoron ; )

We spoke yesterday so I’d be shocked

1 Like