ADN or BS in Bio then Second Degree BSN?

<p>To make a long story short, I am in a biology program at a four-year university on a scholarship, but after spending a lot of time volunteering at hospitals and shadowing, I realize I actually want to be a nurse. I can't afford to transfer to another 4-year university without scholarship help, and I can't afford to transfer to the nursing program at my university because I would be at least 1-2 years behind, and I could not afford the tuition when my 4-year scholarship is up. I'm wondering what would be the best option for me in terms of both affordability and my ability to get a job once I graduate. These are the three ideas I've come up with:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Keep trying to transfer to my university's nursing program, knowing it might be several semesters before they have a spot for me and take out loans to finish the years beyond my 4-year scholarship.</p></li>
<li><p>Finish my degree in biology then apply to a Accelerated Second Degree BSN program. (Pros: would have BSN, cons: would still need loans to cover the extra year(s), no guarantee I'd have the stats to get into an accelerated program)</p></li>
<li><p>Transfer to a ADN program, knowing I could go back for my BSN later. (Pros: would be an RN without going over 4 years of school, cons: harder to be hired without a BSN (?)) </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Any advice?</p>

<p>I think #2 is the best option, considering your financial issues. For #3, I know a lot of hospitals around here (Boston) aren’t hiring nurses who have ADN’s, and want BSN nurses only (which, I think is silly, plus you don’t HAVE to work in a hospital). Accelerated BSN programs are also really short compared to a traditional BSN, and you can be working (with your lovely BS in Biology) to help pay for it as well. Overall, I think it would be a waste of your time to not continue with your Biology degree.</p>

<p>Research the curriculum of a couple accelerated bachelors programs where you will apply, and try to get as many of those courses under your belt under your current scholarship.</p>

<p>Don’t think you can work during an accelerated BSN program; most of them are very intense and require you to be in classes and clinicals all day long. Most of them discourage any kind of work, part-time or full-time. You may be able to get away with some flexible part-time work but I can’t imagine how you would work full-time during one.</p>

<p>But I think finishing your degree and then aiming for an accelerated BSN program at a public uni is the best choice. That way, even if you don’t get in, you can get a full-time job and just work until you do get in.</p>

<p>Well, it would be fantastic to finish your biology degree. But the bottom line here is that if you want to be a nurse you probably are going to have to take out loans to finish. Because if you want to get your masters its 6 years. 4 years bsn + 2 years msn. But check and see if you have all the pre reqs to apply to nursing school, if you dont, you MUST take those classes before you even apply. If you already have them then the year before you graduate you should try to apply and see if you can get it. Nursing schools are very competitive and some only admit 25-30 students a semester. Some more, depending on how big the college is. I’m going to school to be a pediatric nurse practitioner, so i’m going to have to go through the same stuff you will. Don’t try to work during nursing school, you wont be able to keep up.
good luck to you though!</p>

<p>Definitely do an accelerated BSN later. One of my local unis has a 12 month program that is dirt cheap.</p>