Advice for Choate new students for 2023-24

Hello! DS just committed to Choate, so I thought I’d start this thread. Is anyone out there a current Choate student/family? If current Choate families could provide some thoughts to help get us started, I know many would appreciate it. GO CHOATE!

Or past. Or anyone at all

1 Like

@CavsFan2003 !!!

Hi! I have student at Choate- it’s an amazing school. Be prepared to ‘let go’- the student will learn to advocate for themselves and survive on their own. Anything specific?

4 Likes

Yes… I was hoping to start a discussion similar to the SPS and Lawrenceville discussions if that helps. I’m not sure what specifically to ask… I was hoping things would come to mind of current parents/students to share!

1 Like

Just looked at other posts - I don’t have too much details like that- I guess this is the ‘letting go’ part! I would say be prepared for a lot of school work but mandatory study hours nightly from 8-10:30pm forces students to manage their time. Have them spend time in the SAC to make friends and connect doing a team sport in the Fall!

Most of the students there know they’re very lucky to be there. And everyone has their own hook as to how they got in. There are intellects, athletes, legacies, musicians but they commingle well and all seem very respectful of each others talents.

Go in with a very open mind, meet everyone regardless of your hook and other’s labels. It is a very accepting community and the students are pretty happy. Yes lots of pressure - much self inflicted- to do well, and pressure to excel in your chosen activities but it feels like everyone is rooting for you. It is very diverse so everyone’s story is very unique which I think helps disperse the competitiveness. But I’d say no 2 students there are at all the same so it makes for a very exciting experience.

Dining hall- great, dorms- decent, standard stuff needed. Sign up for laundry service- expensive but helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you for starting this. My daughter just committed!

2 Likes

I’m hoping someone can talk about how kids use the iPad Choate gives them (I think I have this right). Do the kids use it to take notes? Are there no pencil and paper in the classroom? Do kids not have computers? And is there some kind of class first term/freshman year that teaches them how it should be used and/or how to manage the apps on this device? TIA!

1 Like

Choate provides them iPad with an Apple pencil. They use it in all of their classroom, take notes, read text book and do coursework. A few classes require computer, and you need bring your own computer.

2 Likes

i thought laundry was free as they stated that in the contract

1 Like

Laundry service by third party is not free and that is what I think they were referring to.

1 Like

I’m curious if anyone can speak to kids taking AP tests. Yes, I know there are no official AP classes, but in the school profile, it mentions that kids take over 400 AP exams. I wonder if anyone knows what the kids are taking and during which form they take them?
https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1634144492/choate/i3v8yxnp4pdstl9n8noo/School-Profile-21-22.pdf (the link says 2021-2022, but the document says 2022-2023)

Our son sat for AP Calc/Physics/Chem/History in his senior year, no AP classes (although calc is calc), all 5s. His history teacher did hold a few out-of-class sessions to help prepare for that one, though.

3 Likes

Trying to figure out whether I need lodging when I drop off our daughter in September. We are within driving distance (under 3 hours). Do parents stick around for a few days or is it drop and go?

Good question, and my caveat is that I am not
a CRH parent, but PLEASE drop, help kid set up, attend parent programming, then go home!

Schools have lots scheduled to get kids immersed quickly. If they need something, make this your inaugural Amazon order. You can check in via text or Facetime.

Don’t be that hovering parent!

3 Likes

Ok, no hovering I promise.

Though things may have changed, Choate wanted all parents to be done with move-in and final hugs/kisses by 4PM-ish at which time you were welcome to stop by the white tent on the front lawn for a wine-and-cheese farewell sponsored by The Parent Advisory Council on your way out to the parking lot. New students would be getting ready for dinner and the evening matriculation ceremony to which parents were not invited.

@gardenstategal summed it up perfectly:

3 Likes

Hi- I think bedding may be covered in the contract but no, the laundry service is separate and you’ll start to receive emails about it soon.

1 Like

Yes- it’s still set up and depart. Parents do not stay - maybe run to Walmart down the road to get whatever they may need extra of - extension cords, mirror, ramen noodles-

2 Likes

This isn’t relevant for Choaties, but Deerfield makes it very clear how much they want parents hanging around on campus on move in day by packing all freshman onto a bus at 1pm and driving them to an offsite overnight orientation. Parents are then ‘welcome to depart’.

Brutal, but effective. This then lets the school focus on getting new students interacting with each other and acclimating to the new landscape.

4 Likes