Advice for physicist wannabe

I am a hs sophomore considering a career in physics research because I am so intrigued by dark matter, dark energy, quantum stuff etc etc. I want to know what I should do in high school to prepare myself for a career in physics research (and get into a top10 level university)

My grades and standardized test scores are good. My school doesn’t offer advanced physics courses. Should I take online dual enrollment courses? If yes, where can I find such courses? Should I take courses at Stanford ULO? Is learning advanced stuff worth it (i may still have to relearn it in college)

I cannot take F=ma due to my nationality. Are PUPC or physics bowl valued in college admissions?

I am also thinking about doing physics research in high school, but I don’t know how. I don’t have the resources to do experimental physics and don’t have the knowledge to do theoretical physics. Any recommended research areas for high school students?

Just how can I land a career in physics research? Any advice would be helpful (this is my first time posting a thread)

Since calculus and other branches of mathematics serve as the “natural languages” for many physics topics, you may want to state information about your current and intended high school math level.

1 Like

I am finishing AP Calc BC at school this semester

3 Likes

Good news: getting into a top-10 physics PhD program does not require being in a top-10 level university.

Working backwards:

1. you get a career in physics research by doing a PhD in physics. You get into a PhD program by studying physics in college and doing a lot of research while in college (and, for a decreasing number of programs, by dong well in the Physics GRE). You can get into a top-tier PhD program from the top 100 US universities (and probably more)- and you can get in from other countries as well, so you don’t have do undergrad in the US.

2. To get into university as a physics student in the US, for all but a tiny handful of universities, you simply need to be admitted as a student: most US universities do not admit by subject, and physics is not typically an ‘impacted’ (limited enrollment) subject. As an international student you can figure that your odds on acceptance are much, much lower than the odds of acceptance for domestic students: most US unis have ~8-15% international students. If you apply to universities in the US you will have to figure out a list of schools for which you are competitive and -crucially!- that you can afford. People here on CC can help.

3. If you really enjoy physics find ways to engage with it- not just to impress admissions teams but to learn more about it. For example, can you participate in IPhO?

3 Likes

Thank you! I cannot participate in IPhO. Can you suggest other ways to engage in physics? I listed some of my options above.

@Ann12, are you an international student at a US HS?

No, my high school is in my home country.

Re: activities

I don’t think that you can do the physics classes at Stanford ULO- iirc, they require the physics APs first, but you could do math.

I highly recommend the X women in Physics group (young women / undergraduate women / graduate women). Here is info on resources from a recent conference:

http://paywip.blogs.bucknell.edu/resources-for-high-school-students-interested-in-physics-and-astronomy/

The Women in Physics groups do great work in identifying resources, and also building connections that will last through your professional life.

eta: I see that you are not in the US, so a lot of this won’t be helpful to you- but some might be.

Are you in an international school that offers APs, or are you self-studying? Are you planning to go to university in the US / your home country / a third country? are your resources such that you can afford a US uni?
Are your resources such that you could do something in the US over the summer?

1 Like

A combination of self-studying and taking AP tests at school. I am planning to go to US university. will probably afford it. I will still try to apply for financial aid. I might try to do something in the US next summer, but not this one.

You’re only a HS sophomore at the moment, but something to consider is the physics program at New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology (aka “NM Tech”). Their physics program info is at Department of Physics: New Mexico Tech.

Their undergrad program options are listed at Undergraduate Programs: New Mexico Tech. BS in Physics also have concentration options in astrophysics or atmospheric physics.

The school has some top notch research underway in physics and those professors have contacts at national research labs in other parts of the country (i.e., good options for summer internships). If you were my kid and you’re as passionate about physics as you say, I’d be encouraging you to seriously consider this school over a “top 10” university.

NM Tech is a small school. And it’s in a small town (Socorro, NM), which is about an hour from Albuquerque. And it’s only about 30% female. But if you’re passionate about physics and want to work on some really cool stuff as an undergrad, you should give the school a look.

Information about cost of attendance is available at NMT Tuition and Fees: New Mexico Tech.

2 Likes

^^this is a good example of the many, many strong physics programs that you may not be aware of to consider when applying to US colleges.

Rather than focusing on specific coursework at this stage, focus on learning more about the areas of physics that particularly interest you: you have “dark matter, dark energy, quantum stuff”- dig into those areas. Read magazines such as Scientific American. Look for books written for a (somewhat) general public For example, here is an example of one person’s suggestions:

When you find an author whose work you find particularly interesting, look them up! where are they doing their research? that’s a place you might want to think about for college or grad school. What is their academic background? And, what else are they writing? read some of that.

Make sure you let yourself go down rabbit holes- if you see something that looks interesting follow it until it stops being interesting! It’s exploration, and none of it will be wasted.

3 Likes

This. When looking at schools you want to go to, be sure the professors there are researching specifically what interests you. Bonus points for more than one professor of interest since research teams can be full or profs can retire/move. If you are able to afford “anywhere,” then look for places you really want to be part of.

Is there anything available in your country for hands on shadowing or internship over the summer, even if it’s not where you live?

1 Like

Ok, I’ll look into internships.

Thanks everyone. I’ll read more books and research.

Art of Problem solving now has an online Physics course that is an approved AP Physics 1 class. Perhaps you could see if that’s a possibility for you. https://artofproblemsolving.com/school/course/physics1

1 Like

Also see University of Maryland
https://umdphysics.umd.edu/events/aboutus-outreach/physics-is-phun.html

Also some resources

Good luck!:grinning:

Edit added:
Also see STEM activities for high school students offered by NASA.

2 Likes