Advice for the dreaded Finance 302?

<p>Congrats to your S, Bamafana! That is stellar news.</p>

<p>I have learned a new concept: riskless arbitrage. </p>

<p>Now that I know Professor Downs has created an otherwise meaningless lecture section in which the value is obtained by practicing riskless arbitrage, I have come full circle and no longer believe he is wasting the students’ time there. He is, quite apparently, a master of experiential education. :)</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>LOL, Malanai…</p>

<p>I was looking at the Syllabus for the online version of the course (thinking of taking remotely over the summer). It references something about taking Proctored tests? How does that work?</p>

<p>Thanks Sea_Tide and Cuttlefish!! Riggo, my DS took a course last summer that required proctored exams also. He took them at our local library. The librarian had to fill out some papers and return to UA for permission to proctor. He then had to affirm by email that he was present for each of my son’s exams. It was actually very easy…</p>

<p>Thanks, bamafana. Someone posted that you can download the book online for free. Can someone provide a link to the book? Thank you.</p>

<p>You’ll see a link posted in the FI 302 section of your Blackboard Learn (the replacement for eLearning) account closer to the start of the semester.</p>

<p>My son is struggling with FI302 and needs it to graduate this summer. Where do you find a tutor for this class? He is not a math person and has obviously not figured out the game.</p>

<p>GAbama, I am sorry your son is struggling. My D told me she has seen flyers around this semester for tutoring for the class, however, she couldn’t give me specifics. She is having to work extremely hard and use her time wisely in that class. So far she has been successful, but she is only half way through! I will let you know if I hear anything else.</p>

<p>My D just texted me and said her TA, Richard Arnatt, has been very helpful to her. Maybe he would be a good place for your son to start to find help. Hope that helps!</p>

<p>Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help!</p>

<p>GABama, my son did very well in FI302 last semester. He doesn’t have time to tutor but I know he would be glad to talk to your son and give him some tips! PM me if you’d like his contact information!</p>

<p>DD just texted me and said after her last lecture tonight she is finished with the dreaded Finance 302 and she has a B in the class! She is beyond thrilled! At the beginnng of the semester she was praying she would pass the class! I am so proud of her.</p>

<p>Her advice to those taking it:
Stay on top of it! Get it done early. Don’t take the lecture section, but take the hybrid with the lab. Take each test multiple times to raise your score!</p>

<p>Good Luck to all those till facing this class!</p>

<p>Thanks, Peachtide! I had gotten the same advice from a friend’s son about taking the hybrid, so that’s what DS signed up to take in the fall. Friend’s son said it is a lot of memorizing formulas, and it sounds like there’s a <em>system</em> for working the tests. So glad I read this thread!</p>

<p>And congrats to your daughter! I know you are proud of her for hanging in there. Well done!</p>

<p>Congrats, Peachtide! So glad she stuck it out. And a happy ending!</p>

<p>Gotta give a shout-out to my kid for acing this horrid course. He said it was by far the most poorly taught class he’s had at 'Bama. He withdrew from it last semester, stewing and fuming about the ineptitude of the prof. Then he regrouped this semester and got determined to not let this mess defeat him.</p>

<p>Describing the course as “a class that’s mostly about figuring out how to pass the class,” he busted his rear and, in the end, said (earnestly) that he learned how much harder he was capable of working than he’d previously known.</p>

<p>Nothing is wasted. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Malanai, could you ask your son a question for me? If a student is not particularly busy during the summer, would he or she be well advised to take FI302 online then, when there’s not a lot of distractions and other course work to complete, or is it better to be on campus and have classmates with whom to study and commiserate?</p>

<p>^^^He thinks the two options have roughly equivalent pros and cons. However, for students who choose to take it on campus, he highly recommends taking the hybrid (vs the traditional) version of the course and to make sure you get into Collin Gilstrap’s section.</p>

<p>Thanks, Malanai!</p>