Advice on Fresh Courses/ Professors for Honors Business Major

<p>My S is a Honors freshman /business major-Spanish minor. I’m interested in your input/guidance for his 1st Semester…</p>

<p>Right now here are the classes he’s considering for 1st Semester (he has 15 hours of credits through AP and ACT scores already) – </p>

<p>Math 112 (Hasn’t tested, may go straight to Math 121/Calculus)
English 103 (He got a 30 on ACT/Will they put him in an Honors class?)
Spanish 202 (will have to test to see if it’s 201 or 202 - had 3 yrs of HS but not great teachers!)
Biology (Do Business majors do Honors Biology 118 or regular 108 for non-majors?)
GBA 145
Economics 110
UH ???</p>

<p>Any suggestions on classes and recommendations for great Professors? </p>

<p>What about an Honors class/Freshman Seminar? </p>

<p>Also, who do I work with/contact to get his AP credit registered?</p>

<p>THANKS to all you experts! :slight_smile: You’re such a blessing!</p>

<p>Honors Biology and Biology for majors are often considered to be “weed-out” courses for pre-meds and science majors. I would suggest taking the non-majors section if he really wants to take biology.</p>

<p>While the advisors at Bama Bound will say that GBA 145 is required, it is NOT a required course. Unless your honors student is not sure of what the different business majors offer, I would register to GBA 145 at Bama Bound (they require you to do so) and drop it immediately after.</p>

<p>I suggest taking MATH 125 instead of MATH 121.</p>

<p>Have him take an honors section of EC 110.</p>

<p>Make sure that the UH courses is graded on the letter scale (not Pass/Fail) so it will meet UHP requirements.</p>

<p>My D is a current freshman business major. I would agree with SEA_Tide on MATH 125, GBA 145 and the Bio course. My D chose to take a 1 credit UH common book experience course in lieu of GBA 145. (She registered for GBA 145 at Bama Bound as the advisor insisted on it, but then dropped it shortly thereafter and picked up the UH course). The requirement for EN 103 is an ACT composite of 28 or English score of 30, so your son should be good to go.</p>

<p>Sea_tide Rocks! His advise is something I value greatly.</p>

<p>Honors Micro Econ - Aldridge is S’s current prof and very good/enjoyable. (He also is teaching a Honors Macro Econ in Fall 2013, I noticed. He’s also down for a 1-credit HYO class that looks uber interesting, and only meets 7x, but syllabus appears challenging - papers + in-class presentations every week for it. Stay alert, or else!)</p>

<p>EN 103 - Morrison is fantastic (as many will 2nd), but I don’t see him teaching any Fall 103 sections.</p>

<p>Re Calc I - S currently has Tan-Yu Lee for Diff EQ and I see he is teaching MA125 in fall. S enjoys him - very helpful. Do not shy away from non-native English speakers. Sit in the front row, ask questions, stay alert, and you are fine.</p>

<p>Thank you SO much for the help. Question – why is everyone suggesting Math 125 for Business Major?</p>

<p>If you’re interested in the more quantitative aspects of business, or if you plan to do graduate study - particularly in Economics or Finance - more math will be required. If a student decides to go further in math and take the calculus sequence, Math 125 will be required. Math 121 doesn’t satisfy the prerequisites for the rest of the calculus courses (and the math beyond that). </p>

<p>Here is the business school policy on Math courses: </p>

<p>

</p>