Advice on Housing

<p>I have already been accepted and will be attending the University of Wisconsin next year. However, I am very conflicted about wear to live. I signed for rowing earlier this fall, so I probably want to live in Lakeshore because walking all the way from Southeast for early morning practices at the boathouse sounds like no fun. I am very social, so I would probably live in Southeast if not for rowing. Are there any active and social dorms that are super isolated in Lakeshore?</p>

<p>It really depends on how/what you mean by “social.” I live in Lakeshore this year, and everyone is really friendly and we all have a great time. That being said, none of my friends go out to parties/drink, etc. There are still kids who do, but they often don’t do so every weekend, and for those of us that don’t, nobody really cares. No matter where you live on Campus there will be those that do like to go out and party and those that don’t. You’ll just get a higher concentration of those who do like to go out over in Southeast.</p>

<p>You’ve cited an interest in doing rowing. My bet is that most rowing kids all live in a cluster in University Housing, probably Adams, Tripp, or Slitcher, so maybe try one of those? You could also email the coach and get their opinion on it as well. Your teammates will most likely become closer friends than anyone who you’re living with anyway, and you can always rush and join a frat/sorority too. Your social options aren’t limited to those on your floor.</p>

<p>Definitely go with Lakeshore. Add Kronshage to the list (some of its buildings have rooms where the behemoth boathouse cuts off the lake view). Plus others nearby (Liz Waters is too far and isolated to be practical for the walk). Also look at the various building styles to choose the age/amenities/closeness to various types of food service. Perhaps you will be able to chat with others on crew and see where they are choosing to live. You can finalize your rankings by May.</p>

<p>Eons ago the basement of the Kronshage building connected to Holt Commons had the regular dining room- in the fall before people figured out when to come for supper the line would extend up the stairs and outside where you could hear and possibly see the men’s crew practice.</p>

<p>You will be doing a lot of walking around campus no matter where you live. Early mornings I would rather be close to my destination. Late nights be sure to be with friends.</p>

<p>If one is looking to have an active night life, would you guys strongly advise against living in lakeshore? i wast thinking liz waters would be a good mix of both worlds.</p>

<p>Chadbourne is the SE dorm that is closest to the lakeshore area. However, there’s the 80 bus that runs around campus, even during the early hours of the day, so regardless of where you live you can easily get to your practices.</p>

<p>I would not be overly concerned about distances to off campus places. Most of your time will be spent on campus. Choose the environment you want to live in, not the one you want to leave. You need to be happy with your daily life.</p>

<p>Double check on those early bus times. Do you want to be waiting for a bus when no one else is around?</p>

<p>There are very social people all over campus. Fun and activities are not limited to any one area of campus.</p>