African American Acceptance Rates At Top Ranking Schools

<p>Thought this might be of interest to some of you guys:
Universities:
JBHE</a> Annual Survey: Black First-Year Students at the Nation’s Leading Research Universities : The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education
Liberal Arts:
The</a> JBHE Annual Survey: Black First-Year Students at the Nation’s Leading Liberal Arts Colleges : The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education</p>

<p>What do you guys think about the differences in overall acceptance rates and black acceptance rates?</p>

<p>I love statistics and charts lol. I found these articles to be very interesting. In some schools the black acceptance rate is quite a bit higher than the overall acceptance rate, but at other schools the opposite is true. I think the universities with black acceptance rates lower than the average rates are not willing to go out of their way to bring diversity…</p>

<p>Honestly I like them but don’t like them. I hate one group (any group) getting special treatment, however if it is offered to me then I’ll take it gladly.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t consider it as ‘special treatment’, Dante. Colleges want diversity. The AAs who apply to top schools are very qualified and deserving applicants.</p>

<p>This information is pretty encouraging. Even though I applied to some of those schools under the with the general acceptance rate in mind. </p>

<p>A small anecdote: This summer I had the honor of working with a lot of college-educated African Americans and I’m a bit shamed to say it ,being an African American myself, that I was impressed by how they carried themselves.They were awesome people who understood the value of education . They had taken the time out of their summer to help increase literacy in their community. Having more college-educated AAs is a trickle down and it pays back in dividends. It’s fair to say that all of them were qualified people who probably would have went on to be great with or without the leg up they might have received during college admissions.</p>

<p>@Mrluggs I’m just saying I don’t feel like race should be apart in administrations but I love it at the same time.</p>

<p>I have to agree with the above poster. Personally I think using Affirmative Action makes it seems like the only way African-Americans can make it into top schools is with a little help and I think the reason why we may hate and yet love it is because a lot of persons covet an ivy league education, so any opportunity you get to attend such institution you’ll take it.</p>

<p>Granted, there are few cases of people who, based on scores, wouldn’t make it into top schools but when they did they flourish, but what happened to the rest of them. The next study should chronicle the performance of African-Americans at top schools over their 4 years, because getting in is one thing, staying there is another.</p>

<p>(unless there is already a study like this)</p>

<p>@DMA017 </p>

<p>[Black</a> Student College Graduation Rates Remain Low, But Modest Progress Begins to Show](<a href=“http://www.jbhe.com/features/50_blackstudent_gradrates.html]Black”>Black Student College Graduation Rates Remain Low, But Modest Progress Begins to Show)</p>

<p>This article shows that the average graduation rate of blacks at top colleges is quite a bit higher than the average graduation rate of blacks at HBCUs (around 92% vs 40%)Most of the top universities do not have to lower their standards to bring in minorities. The top colleges want people to come to the school and do well, they don’t want people that will flunk out. Granted, most of the information is from 2005… But I bet that things haven’t changed that much. There are many black people at top colleges who would be qualified if they were white or Asian.</p>