African American Class of 2015

<p>Hey everyone! Since i joined the thread a little bit late I thought I should post some basic information:</p>

<p>I currently go to a challenging private school and before that I went to a Catholic elementary school. My GPA isn’t that great (around 3.3) but at my school that’s considered decent to good. Idk. It’s definitely something I’ve been working on for the past year and plan to focus on next year.</p>

<p>Next year I’ll be taking Gym, French 5, AT U.S. History, English 3/4 (Counts as an Honors course), Art, this weird combo of trig and other math things that my school does (Math kills my GPA every year smh), AT Physics, and Journalism. Pray for me.</p>

<p>I’m a writer and page editor for my school newspaper. The paper is my main extracurricular and takes up a ton of my time, usually 5-25 hours a week during the school year. Besides that I’m a part of my school’s Diversity Club and was recently elected Secretary. I’m also on a planning committee for an annual day-long fine arts event that my school does. I got two awards this year for basically being involved in the culture of my school and another one for journalism (They give out hella awards at my school idek). Right now I’m interning at a local non-profit and I’ll be attending a leadership institute at Brown in a few weeks :)</p>

<p>My main interests are Public Relations, Television/Film, and Sociology/Social Change. I’m interested in writing and producing for television but my ideal job, whatever it ends up being, would be in or involving the entertainment industry. </p>

<p>I have a long and ever-changing list of schools I’m interested in lol. Right now my top 5 in no particular order= Emory University, UCLA, UT Austin, NYU, and Wesleyan University. Ideally I’d end up in NYC or Los Angeles for grad school. I’ve been thinking about college for as long as I can remember and I can’t believe that I’ve finally reached the point where it’s actually <i>happening</i>. So weird. </p>

<p>So this was long as hell. My bad, I just felt the need to play catch-up with you all lmao. </p>

<p>Also, while I’m here, I seriously recommend that everyone see the movie Fruitvale Station. It’s about Oscar Grant, a young black guy that was killed senselessly by the Oakland police in 2009. I got to attend an early screening last night and was blown away. Michael B. Jordan, the star of the film and one of my favorite young actors, did an incredible job.</p>

<p>@nat97xo
That movie sounds really interesting! I’ll definitely check it out. From it sounds like, it kind of reminds me of the Trayvon Martin case. Have you guys been watching the trial? It makes me so upset, I can’t watch it :(. Sometimes it not even what’s happening in the courtroom, but some of the commenters are so blatantly racist, I can’t take it…</p>

<p>I agree with you on math. Math is the only B I have so far -_-. I’ll pray for you if you pray for me too lol.</p>

<p>@Nat
Congratulations on finally being caught up. It’s nice to have some more posters. We got like 1K+ views so I know people are creeping. You guys can post if you want! Hehehe.
Impressive stats. I like writing so I’m thinking about joining newspaper this year. Lol they need some help I got quoted like 4 times and I never said any of those things! Nothing was bad but I guess they like using my name to attract more readers. <em>flips weave</em>
Kidding kidding.
But im currently, like at this moment, volunteering at my non-prof. Most of the time I end up goofing off on CC. I should probably get back to work.
I will definitely put that on my list to watch. Lol Ive been watching romcom movies nonstop. I love 10 Things I Hate About You! But yeah I’ll check it out.
I haven’t been watching the trials. Racism is everywhere. :frowning: And I feel like if black people complain about one thing people will say “Black people are always claiming people are racist…blah blah blah”. Even though there is less racism today than the 1950s I think some people are a little more comfortable with their word choices. Like some of my classmates say certain things that are borderline offensive. And I just kinda brush it off.
@Dreamwriter
Drivers Ed is easy and the driving is fun! Hopefully you get a good instructor.
Were any of you on the prom committee? We’re gonna be in desperate need of fundraisers. Got any ideas?</p>

<p>@Nat97xo
Lol I’m totally fan girling over you right now because your future career sounds a lot like mine. I plan on becoming a screenwriter or just a higher up person in the television business. Like you I plan on applying to UCLA and NYU. I’m also going to be applying to UC Berkeley, USC, Carnegie Mellon , Northwestern, and maybe Brown. Lol I’m just so happy to have another dream writer on this thread. And I’ll check that movie out. As practice for screenwriting I’ve been watching good movies and reading lots of books and Tony awarded plays.
@Basic2015 I’m on my schools prom committee (i’m junior class secretary)and we had the idea of making custom iphone cases of our schools mascot, the case itself being the school colors. Also we were thinking of selling Popsicles in the middle of the courtyard on a hot day, selling body paint for the football games, selling school merchandise during freshman orientation(because you know how freshman want high school apparel), and we also had the idea of having chick-fil-a deliver us chicken biscuits to sell in the mornings.</p>

<p>@Bellander
I’ve been watching the trial and I’ve just decided to stop. After that one girl went on the stand (the one everyone is referring to as the girl who looks like Madea) I feel like she ruined the case. Her witness statement was very harsh and she gave Trayvon a bad look in my opinion. As if Trayvon had the same sass and attitude as she did. But I don’t blame her , the lawyers were so rude and harsh towards her. I can actually go to one of the trials because it’s like a 30-45 minute drive from my house, but why waste my time lol -_- I have SAT prep to worry about. I got you on that prayer tho lol.</p>

<p>@dreamwriter23 Really? I thought her statement was probably the most revealing/honest one we’ve heard so far. I agree with you on some parts though, her telling that Trayvon called Zimmerman a “cracker” or whatever, doesn’t put him in the best light.
How have you started prepping? I have 3 books and I only finished one section in one of them…Great.</p>

<p>@BellLander I try and study every Wednesday and Sunday using the College Board book. If I can’t study on Wednesday, then I definitely make time on Sunday. I would usually just go through a chapter and pick up on it on my next study day. Some days I switch things up by doing a few practice questions on the college board website. But now I’ve finished the entire reading section I’ve started the math. I’ve been using the college board book, but now I’m having my mom buy me a Princeton review book.</p>

<p>@BellLander
Not sure when your test date is but I use this 10 week plan from power score that goes along with the blue book. <a href=“http://www.powerscore.com/sat/help/week1.cfm#link[/url]”>http://www.powerscore.com/sat/help/week1.cfm#link&lt;/a&gt;
It’s going really well and it’s not very stressful. Im finishing up sentence completion. And I supplement it with question of the day and the Barron’s 2400 book. And I study missed vocabulary from CR sections.</p>

<p>@dreamwriter omgggg I’ve definitely been creeping on your thread about your dramatic writing profile for a while now. To be honest I don’t think I’ll apply to Tisch’s TV program (mostly because I’m scared lol) but if I did end up at NYU I would probably minor in Producing. Idk. I have a friend in their program right now and she loves it. Maybe we can be reading buddies or something, there’s a lot of stuff out there about movies/tv but it’s kind of intimidating :/</p>

<p>@BellLander I’ve been following the case but every time I try to actually watch the trial I feel sick to my stomach. Everything about it is so terrible. The way people have been talking about Rachel Jeantel makes me so so sad. I agree that some of the things she said might not “help”, but I don’t blame her for having an attitude or being upset at all. Being cross-examined is a terrifying experience (from what I’ve heard) and Zimmerman’s lawyer was being so rude and disgusting towards her. I read about her relationship with Trayvon ([Rachel</a> Jeantel?s Attorney Rod Vereen talks with Roland Martin | Black America Web](<a href=“Rachel Jeantel's Attorney Rod Vereen talks with Roland Martin”>Rachel Jeantel's Attorney Rod Vereen talks with Roland Martin)) and it made me so sad.</p>

<p>@nat97xo Lol yes !! I’d love to have a writing buddy. And I agree with you about NYU, I’m just applying there just for the heck of it. I’m quite scared about applying to all of these top notch schools. But if Donald Glover made it big from being in NYU’s dramatic writing program, maybe I can make it big too lol. I’m writing a play for my schools drama festival and ugh lol I’m really excited and nervous at the same time. Even my drama teacher is super excited for me, lol I just don’t want to disappoint anyone if my work isn’t “great”. But hey it’s a start. And have you considered applying to the summer high school at NYU?</p>

<p>Ahh you guys are super interesting with your love for writing and drama.</p>

<p>I like to write but more like editorials persuasive essays, speeches. But creative writing…ahh not so much. So kudos to you guys! If you have any drafts or anything Id be more than happy to read them!!</p>

<p>@basic2015 I like writing in general. Since I’m so quiet at school it’s a way for me to vent. If you ever have the time you could read one of my scripts. I’m just a beginner at script writing but according to my drama teacher I’m really good at it. Also, have you listened to Yeezus yet? Born sinner ?</p>

<p>Yeah you can just inbox it to me anytime! Lol I like reading the scripts of movies especially the writer from lost (Jj something)
I listened to New Slaves and like it on yeezus but I haven’t taken time out to listen to the whole album. Hate to say it im just not feeling kanye like I used to.
I LOVE BORN SINNER. Great album.
What’s your take on it?</p>

<p>@basic2015 Lol I read the pilot episode of Lost and there was sooo much detail lol,some serious writing took place there. I’ll send you my script when I can convert it to a PDF. Born Sinner is much better than Yeezus. J. Cole puts so much heart and meaning into his songs. My favorite songs on the album are trouble,born sinner, and Villiminati. (If I spelled that right lol). Oh and crooked smile, although I don’t like how T-Boz and Chilli still call themselves TLC without Left-eye. I guess there was too much hype for Yeezus that when kanyes fans finally heard it they were really disappointed. Although Wale has a new album out and I must say it’s better than Yeezus as well.</p>

<p>Yesssssss.
At first Kanyes ego was appealing and I admired his confidence “eff what people think”. But now it seems almost rude, his music void of substance not like his old stuff. And im sure plenty of Kanye stans have something to say to that. But Like Jay Z said loosely “Want my old ish buy my old albums”. So Ill keep college dropout on play.
My favorite songs: Born Sinner, Villimanati, Chaining Day, and Forbidden Fruit (love kendrick). IKR. I saw it featured TLC and I was like im pretty sure that was impossible. So I thought it was sampled? Guess not.J Cole has truly evolved as an artist. He keeps getting better. And his stuff is so down to earth and relatable. His word play is awesome and he is super talented. His songs are honest and he represents that small town kid who made it big. Im a sucker for an underdog. Lol I love J Cole so ill support him unless who goes all self absorbed ego maniac. I also love Wale too! I killed Bad this whole year. The Attention Defficit mix tape is my fav…old but gold. You listen to any other genres?</p>

<p>@Basic2015 The song was sampled but it wasn’t a TLC song, it was Jennifer Hudson’s “Ain’t no one gone love you like I’m gonna love you” lol I don’t know the real name to that song but yeah. Basically T-Boz and Chilli just sang over that track, how “original” lol. I listen to a lot of indie stuff or “other” as some would call it. I like Solange, theophilis London, childish gambino,Joey bada$$, frank ocean and some odd future. Although most of odd futures music is kinda…strange?? But when I’m not listening to that I just listen to some oldies: Boyz Ii men(I love them so much), Babyface,New edition, Luther Vandross, Toni Braxton. Anything that’s new jack swing as well.</p>

<p>I’ve never heard of those artists. Might just give them a listen.
I love Frank Ocean so much. His voice is just amazing and his songs are so sweet and adorable. Dust is one of my favorite songs and Thinkin Bout You is classic.
I hate Tyler the Creator/Odd Future. I just don’t like the way it sounds and to me it just tries so hard to be “different”. But don’t tell an Odd Future fan that…this one guy was a hardcore Stan and gave me so much crap about it!
I love 90s R&B!! That will never get old. Maxwells This Woman’s Work (not sure if 90s or not) is one of my favorites.
Ugh out generation kinda sucks as far as classics. Can you imagine the “Classics” we’ll have when we’re older?
Turn on the oldies and hear Booty Me Down</p>

<p>@basic2015 I dread the day when “bring it back” will be on the "00’s r&b and hip hop throw back stations .</p>

<p>I am playing catch up as well!</p>

<p>I LOVE how I’m seeing other black rising juniors studying for the psats as well! Everyone around me is trying to make this summer ‘the summer to remember’. While I’m going to programs, going to practices, volunteering, them coming home and studying and obsessing about college! </p>

<p>I’m kind of like the person who started off this page of the thread. I currently have a 3.3 gpa and a 4.0 uw but I worked my butt off to get it and it was not easy. I had the hardest teacher in the entire school along during the same time I was trying to excell in an weaker subject. Not easy. I plan on getting straight As next year so it would raise my gpa up a 3.6- which I think I am very capable of doing bc I know how I learn, how to study, and how to manage my time much better than the last few years. </p>

<p>Next year I will be taking: (block schedule)
AP Bio. (Full year)
HN Precalc
AVID (full year)
Teacher Assistant (teaching ESL) (full yr)
AP U.S History
HN Spanish 4
HN English 11 </p>

<p>My current schools are:
Occidental Barnard Smith Pitzer BU Syracuse Skidmore Spelman Simmons UMASS Amherst
(might change based on if I continue to raise my gpa to my senior year- maxing it at 3.8 and if I get high sat scores!) </p>

<p>I love this thread! :)</p>