****AFRICAN AMERICAN CLASS OF 2019 RESULTS****

<p>It's almost time!</p>

<p>Please use the following format while posting the results. Kindly discuss only on the other ED forum, and use this one only for results. Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor!</p>

<p>[aB][asize=4][acolor=#008000]Decision: Accepted - CC[/color][/size]**
[aB][asize=4][acolor=#008000]Decision: Accepted - SEAS[/color][/size]**
[aB][asize=4][acolor=#FFA500]Decision: Deferred - CC[/color][/size]**
[aB][asize=4][acolor=#FFA500]Decision: Deferred - SEAS[/color][/size]**
[aB][asize=4][acolor=#FF0000]Decision: Rejected - CC[/color][/size]**
[aB][asize=4][acolor=#FF0000]Decision: Rejected - SEAS[/color][/size]**</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown):
ACT (breakdown):
SAT II:
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):
AP (place score in parenthesis):
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load:
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):</p>

<p>Subjective:</p>

<p>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Job/Work Experience:
Volunteer/Community service:
Summer Activities:
Essays (rating 1-10, details):
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):</p>

<p>Teacher Rec #1:
Teacher Rec #2:
Counselor Rec:
Additional Rec:
Interview:</p>

<p>Other</p>

<p>Applied for Financial Aid?:
Intended Major:
State (if domestic applicant):
Country (if international applicant):
School Type:
Ethnicity:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):</p>

<p>Reflection</p>

<p>Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected:
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected:</p>

<p>General Comments:</p>

<hr>

<p>Just remove the 'a' in the bold, size and color in your decision.</p>

<p>University of Pennsylvania</p>

<p>Accepted- College of Arts and Sciences</p>

<p>Objective:</p>

<p>SAT I (breakdown): Not Taken
ACT (breakdown): C: 33 M:33 R:32 E:30 S: 35
SAT II: Not taken
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 6/662
AP (place score in parenthesis): 5: AP Bio, AP US Gov, AP Lang. 4: AP Environ. science, AP US History, AP Euro History
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: Anatomy I & II, Humanities, AP Chem, AP Calc BC, AP Lit, ASL I
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Achievement Semifinalist
AP Scholar with Distinction</p>

<p>Subjective:</p>

<p>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Class Government(President)-4 years, Mock Trial(VP and president)-4 years, Football(Team Captain)-4 years, National Honors Society, Spanish National Honors Society
Job/Work Experience: Soccer Referee
Volunteer/Community service: Volunteer at hospital (200+ hours), Youth Athletics volunteer(45 hours)
Summer Activities: Football, Volunteering, Shadowing Surgeons
Essays: Wrote about refereeing soccer and the belligerent parents- pretty funny(9)
Teacher Recommendation: really good. Spoke very highly of me.(8)
Counselor Rec: She loves me; Only great words could come from her(9)
Additional Rec:
Interview: went well. My interviewer studied the major in which I am interested and really liked me.
Other</p>

<p>Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Biological Basis of Behavior
State (if domestic applicant): Ohio
School Type: Large Public
Ethnicity: African-American
Income Bracket: less than 100k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM</p>

<p>Reflection</p>

<p>Strengths:
What you tried to focus on in your application - any hooks you tried to make for yourself: try to show my true humor while also showing sincerity in my ECs as well.
Weaknesses: Supplemental Essay
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/deferred/rejected: they liked my well-roundedness, and Imhad decent scores and GPA.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/deferred/rejected: None.
The most unique thing in your application: my essay</p>

<p>It just feels so good to know that my college app process is finished. I never have to worry about filling out another college app again. Plus, I got into my dream school. I am so excited. I’m curious to see everyone else’s decisions.</p>

<p>I’ll post stats if asked but I was accepted early decision to Davidson College.</p>

please post @NIHHIHH‌

bumpp

Decision: Accepted - Oberlin College (EDII)
Decision: Accepted - Marquette University
Decision: Deferred - University of Michigan
Decision: Rejected - University of Pennsylvania (ED)
I also applied to Amherst College, and started an application to Xavier University.

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): N/A
ACT (breakdown): 29 Composite (34 English, 26 Math, 31 Reading, 26 Science)
SAT II:N/A
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):3.49 (GPA was around 3.43 when applying to colleges)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A (School does not rank)
AP (place score in parenthesis): N/A
IB (place score in parenthesis):N/A
Senior Year Course Load: English IV, Pre-Calc, 21st Century Media and Communications, Band, Catholic Social Teaching, Latin IV, Seminar in Contemporary Politics, Wealth and Poverty Since The Industrial Revolution)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):N/A

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): BASE member (Black Awareness Society for Education) [similar to a BSU], Student Senate/Government elected Sergeant-at-Arms, Debate Team (Co-Founder/Captain), Mock Trial (started after submitting college apps), Jazz Band, Pit Orchestra, Student Admissions Team member, JustPeace member.
Job/Work Experience: Worked is my school’s alumni outreach drive (Paid).
Volunteer/Community service: Generation of Promise: Student leadership development program focusing on resources, leadership, and critical issues that influence quality of life in the metro area. (200+ Hours) I also started a music/instrumental learning program for a local and underfunded elementary school.
Summer Activities: LEAD SBI (@ Penn) , LEAD Global (@ University of Cape Town), and LEAD CSI (@ Stanford). Also spent a summer abroad performing with the Blue Lake International Program.
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8-10 I think my Common App essay was fantastic, and other people have told me the same. I used the “describe a place where you’re perfectly content” prompt and wrote about waking up early for Jazz Band juxtaposed that with how it has helped me grow into a leader. I also wrote in the additional comments section explaining the sharp contrast between my freshman year grades and the rest of high school.
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):
Teacher Rec #1: 10. My Latin teacher whom I’m very fond of and is also fond of me wrote this one.
Teacher Rec #2: 7 or 8. This one came from my junior year math teacher, and math was really not my thing…
Counselor Rec: 10. My college counselor knew me pretty well, and always talked about how seriously she took ED letters. We had a great relationship so I’m sure it was fantastic.
Additional Rec: N/A
Interview: Penn interview went well (at least I thought).

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Politics and/or Pre-Law and/or L&S
State (if domestic applicant): Michigan
School Type: Catholic (Jesuit)
Ethnicity: African-American/Black
Income Bracket: $80,000-$100,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, seasoned musician (I sent in clips), single parent home (?)
Reflection

Strengths: My essays and club/activities. I was a very involved student, and I think my overall application very much reflected that.
Weaknesses: Definitely grades and test scores. I did very poorly my freshman year due to some things at home that were pretty much out of my control. Fortunately, my grades made a DRASTIC leap the next year and continued to stay high throughout the rest of high school. The jump was from a 2.5 to a 3.88. I think another weakness was that I never took any AP courses. This was due to the fact that I was so scarred from my poor grades freshman year I was scared of seeing that repeated through AP courses.
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I think I was accepted to Marquette because I was well in range of their median applicant as well as the fact that I was coming from a Jesuit high school. I believe I was accepted to Oberlin because I really fit into the general student person there. It’s a very liberal, free, open-minded, and enthusiastic environment that I believe I will fit really well into.
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: I’ll never if I got into Amherst or Michigan (deferred from U of M). Penn was my long shot / reach and I think I was denied because I was well under the usual GPA and my test scores wasn’t the stellar Ivy League average.

Reflection: Wow - it’s been quite the ride. The college process has been real to say the least. I was very discouraged after my first two responses (in the span of week) were a rejection and a deferral. I will admit I was a little lost after being denied ED. I had really had my heart set on Penn. Luckily, Oberlin found me. I started to look much more seriously into a school I had thought just a bit about, but had put on the back burner behind Penn. I truly feel like I’m going to the college that is the best fit for me, and that I am best fit for. I guess the moral of the story is that even if you don’t get into “Prestigious U,” you can still find a place that is truly for you. Looking back, I was blinded by the glory of the Ivy League. Oberlin almost replicates my personality in college form. Just about everything about Oberlin screams “me.” Ultimately I was able to find and attend my “dream school,” I just had to realize what the real dream was.

Well wishes to everyone! I help this post helped someone through their college application journey, just as CC helped me!

@NIHHIHH‌ please post!