African American Success

<p>I'm submitting a problem that a lot of African american students have when choosing a college. I want to go to a school in North Carolina. I'm an intelligent student, so I don't want one of those everyday party schools or one that is "too" fun. I want a good college that has a good amount of African American students but not too many...HELP!</p>

<p>You’re too vague and too specific at the same time.</p>

<p>what does this mean? Any college you go to can be a party school or a non party school. It depends on the friends you decide to have. If you hang out with people that party all the time then you will be more exposed to partying.</p>

<p>You’re going to find partiers in every school, and with every background. Look at some state chools that have honors programs like UNCG which has a diverse student body and an honors college. Honors classes and housing can provide opportunities to meet some serious students.</p>

<p>Well really I’m trying to say that I’m intelligent but I don’t want to a historically black school yet I don’t want to be overran either…</p>

<p>Oh and thanks pennylane2011</p>

<p>You want diversity which I think is a good thing. I believe all schools give the demographics so that part is easy. Weighing which is a fun/partying school is a lot harder. How about Wake Forest?</p>

<p>Yeah I thought about them. However…aren’t they expensive and tough to get into? The next problem would be scholarships.</p>

<p>Tiaram:
Seems as though you need to really sit and make a list of what you want (size. demographics, academic area of interest, etc.) then start with matching those to state schools (since you want NC). NC has many very good state schools, but they are very, very different in terms of location, size of school and quality of reputation. In addition, even schools that have/had a reputation of party schools generally have an honors program that might meet your needs.
Work with your parents or school counselor to narrow things down:
Large or Small (NC State vs. UNC Ashville, for instance)
HBCU or not (Elizabeth City vs. UNCG for instance)
Beach, mountains or city? (ECU. Western Carolina, UNCC, for instance)
Just narrowing down state schools will take some time. THEN you have a TON of private colleges and universities in NC and SC that might meet your needs.</p>

<p>Once you have a few specific ones in mind, or at least the type you want in mind, you will be able to get a lot of information.
Good luck, it is a long process. Hence, the endless college visits!</p>

<p>T</p>

<p>This was good advice … I have no specifics for size…I don’t want to be too close to mountains( I love heat) does that narrow it down?</p>

<p>Oh and accounting is my major so a good business school</p>

<p>I think you should do a lot of research on Google. Last year, Google was my best friend. lol</p>

<p>Yeah it’s mine too… I’ve done various college searches but its still not narrow enough.</p>

<p>School runs mainly thru the Fall and Winter seasons. You can go for the heat in the summer.</p>

<p>What do you want after school? What school can help you get there?</p>

<p>You are so specific on some things and so vague on others that its hard to narrow down and make a suggestion. Why NC? Why not VA? More openness on some things will help open doors to other things you like or you may end up having to settle.</p>

<p>Do you have everything you want and like where you are now? Maybe the school closest to you or one you can commute to is ideal?</p>

<p>Just a few ideas for you.</p>

<p>I’m trying to figure out what school will help me get an accounting degree. As far as the weather…I’m just saying I don’t want it to be too cold during the winter.</p>

<p>Nc because I want to stay where I live first before I go to the college I actually want to go to. However, if pick a school in nc, i want it to be a good one.</p>

<p>What’s the difference between a large and small school?</p>

<p>You could do community college for a year or two then transfer. As long as you perform very well in CC, you should have no problem transferring to where you really want to go except for some elite universities.</p>

<p>Knock out all the prereqs at a very low cost may be the way to go. Otherwise, it doesn’t seem to matter which school you go to if you don’t plan on building long relationships and friendships or to get to know professors, etc. you can do all that at your transfer school.</p>

<p>Tiaram: If you have a college counselor at your school, a good counselor, you should probably meet with him or her. There are big differences between large and small schools. There are all ranges of cost for schools. There are options for community college to Chapel Hill to HBCUs in NC alone…not to mention boarding state, just over the boarder.
There is SO much to consider and you may need to start having in person help, attending college fairs, getting sense of what you want or what you NEED (in terms of cost, where you realistically can get in vs. stretch schools vs. safety schools).
Sounds like you have a true desire to go forward, but may need a bit more direction and help.
T</p>

<p>Tiaraam- finding the college that fits you is both academic and emotional. Deciding on college size is a bit of both- size being determined by number of students. Some people prefer being on a smaller campus- although most small campuses are still large enough to meet people. Others like to feel part of a large school with big sports, school spirit.
For some, this is less important than other aspects like finances. Some feel the saying “you can make a large school smaller (by finding a niche there) but you can’t make a small school larger” is true, while others want small no matter what.
If finances are a concern, then look at the financial aid info on each school, and learn about both merit and need based aid. Sometimes, in the end, a private school can be as affordable as a public one. It’s important to consider affordability when applying, but also one does not know the definite cost for certain until after they are accepted and get financial aid info, so don’t not apply to a school based on cost alone if it looks like it could be affordable depending on the financial aid. Grades and scores will factor in considerably for merit aid.
Depending on how you do on ACT/SAT (take both as sometimes people do better on one than the other), consider Elon, UNCC, UNCG, UNCW, ECU, NCSU. All have accounting as a major.
I also agree with Taben that a talk with your guidance counselor might help you with this process.</p>