After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

Scholarship offer can disappear even before acceptance deadline due to funds availability.
There is a link in Financial Aid portal for students to ask for more. Best is making sure FAFSA is on file as funds are usually more available for students in needs.
Even if you have enough funds, a subsidized loan (interest paid by Fed. Gov during 4 years in college) is also good (considered the potential $3K interest savings as a grant)

2 Likes

@Ff1042 @FriscoDad When is acceptance deadline in FA portal or it varies depending on scholarship types? Thanks,

In the portal, you can see four types of aid in four colors. Green is scholarship or grant and it can disappear anytime when confirmed funds run out. Yellow section are loans, Sub and Un-sub loans normally stays there until the June 30 FAFSA deadline for coming academic year. Blue area are work/job at Aggies and normally will stay there all the time. The grey section is date-dependent (if you upload your outside grants it will stay there for a year)

6 Likes

@FriscoDad Will FA take out grants if students get more than tuition?

TAMU will process excess funds as “refunds” and deposit directly as cash to student’s bank account, TAMU Financial Aid Office will not take away the grants or scholarships once confirmed (accepted) by students.

Refer to the section “Financial Aid Refunds” below for current year. It is for Grad. but principles are the same

https://financialaid.tamu.edu/Forms/FAID_2122_GRAD_GUIDE.aspx

5 Likes

Is there any benefit in signing up for an NSC now vs in April?

Depends on how restrictive your summer plans are! You can always change the dates, so really no need to wait in my opinion.

2 Likes

@IcyWolf88 personally I would go ahead and sign up now, if that’s where you/your student plan to attend. I’ve heard at least 1 June NSC session is full, so waiting until April really limits you. Not every major is offered at every NSC.
Also, once you register, students are given a checklist of things to do. Better to go ahead and start knocking out some of those things. Hotel reservations need to be made for NSC, too.
Be sure to pay/register for all parents attending NSC.

2 Likes

When do engineering students typically take the Math Placement Exam? When I went to link to register it said they were taking Spring 2022 admits
 No Fall 2022.

Way too soon for MPE! My Mays Aggie took hers right after graduation, so math was still ‘fresh’. All majors take MPE, I believe.
Due to Covid & virtual NSC’s, Engineering MPE has been different the past 2 years. No telling what it’ll be like this year.
There will be info in the portal about it, but I’d say not until mid April, at the very earliest? The student will get plenty of info about taking it.

2 Likes

MPE site via PlaceU is up now. Link is setup via Howdy->Applicant Tab->Admissions section->Math Placement Exams.
Students should be able to practice and start taking MPE between now and NSC. It is a 90 minutes exam with 33 multiple choices questions.

7 Likes

Great! Should students take it now or need some preparation? When will the student know the scores?

On the link mentioned above, there are practice tests.
Students should practice and then take the test. Yes it can be done in one day (if practice shows reasonably good score > 26 correct answers)

Score will show immediately. Scores lower than 22 (correct answers) will need to take the more fundamental math class.
The idea is to gauge student’s maths capability. TAMU maths class is very serious and more vigorous than regular HS AP classes. On the other hand, if student is really not ready to take the starting Math class, (scoring 22 or lower) it is better to take the more fundamental class in Fall semester. I will even suggest anyone not scoring 28+ to take the fundamental class.

2 Likes

Do they have to take the math placement exam even if they aren’t taking math at A&M? Or is it just required to be able to register for a math class?

All incoming freshmen are required to take MPE. You should see the requirement listed in AIS to do list page in maroon color section.

2 Likes

@FriscoDad , my daughter went to the MPE site on PlaceU as you described. She saw the link to the practice test, but does the actual MPE test require registration for a specific date/time since it’s proctored?

On the Engineering website, on the MPE page, it states “Exam date availability is on a first-come first-serve basis, so please do not delay. Registration information for fall 2022 admits will be posted in March 2022.” It also gives a link to the Event Registration System, but it’s only for Spring 2022 Admits at the moment.

So we can’t see the test dates or register yet?

Some students got registered because proctor slots get full fast. By mid March, a lot more dates will be available in event registration system for Fall 2022.

Spring 2022 should have been taken out by end of January to avoid confusion (Spring 2022 semester is almost half gone lol
)

3 Likes

I know it’s been said to “not accept AP credits” automatically or without conferring with the academic advisor at A&M. Can someone elaborate on this process? My question is do you send all scores and then discuss with the academic advisor at A&M which to “accept”. Or do you only send the scores you are going to accept? Is sending accepting? Trying to figure out if sending and accepting are the same thing. Or if A&M has an acceptance process for the scores sent.

1 Like

Send all scores, sending and accepting are completely separate/different. Wait and let student and advisor decide when to accept APs. Do not let student automatically accept them all.

3 Likes

Sending scores won’t automatically accept the credit, there will be a form to fill to really claim away a class. In NSC TAMU will share a slide that emphasizes that “AP/DC courses are not as vigorous as TAMU classes”.

So the mindset is always not to claim away the credits. Even as an engineering student, claiming away AP Gov may lose a chance of boosting GPA on a relatively “easy” class.

But then of course student can claim away a course if the course doesn’t even count towards the degree.

6 Likes