After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

Accept scholarships now. Does not obligate you to attend, just locks in the funding for if you do decide to attend.

3 Likes

Impact Retreat registration is open.

5 Likes

If you have a daughter interested in sorority rush, be sure she registers for virtual Panhellenic Preview! No commitment to rush by signing up, simply Q&A.
https://secure.epicpay.com/Merchant/Hosted/FullPage/a4808318-3d44-4cd6-a977-bc86a431a5f1

I saw Howdy week is Sat 8/20 - Tues 8/23
Classes start Wed 8/24

When will freshman move into the dorms?

Thanks!

I saw on a calendar that dorms open 8/20 and it says you would be scheduled a time. So Iā€™m sure we will get more info eventually but I wanted to snag a hotel room while I could at a decent price still so I went ahead and booked a refundable/changeable room rate for the 20th so I have it secured but can change it if her move in ends up a different day. So my best guess best guess at this point is move in will be 8/20.

Dorm move-in does start Aug 20. They started staggering move-in times in 2020, so students will sign up for slots at some point.
Howdy Week is super casual, constant activities, do ā€˜as little or as muchā€™ as student wants to participate in. Kids will be moving in every day from Aug 20 until the 1st day of classes.

1 Like

Hello hello, mother of incoming freshman here and could really use some housing advice.

My daughter is currently in the Phase III selection of the on campus housing application and she has been recently waiting for my friend so they could room together. However, her friend got put on waitlist and weā€™re not exactly sure when sheā€™ll get taken off (she paid March 8th).

Iā€™ve recently been made aware that the dorm selection fills up quickly. Would it be worth it to wait for her friend to be off the waitlist or should my daughter pick a different room mate? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

@Kelly_Zhou Wait List friend canā€™t be pulled up, will be placed in a room (if/when one becomes available-Wait List isnā€™t guaranteed a bed). Your daughter needs to go in on her own, or find another roommate, not wait for Wait List friend.
When did your daughter put down her Housing application fee?

I believe it was sometime around early February.

Thank you! Iā€™ll relay this information to her.

@Kelly_Zhou have you joined either of the main Aggie FB parent pages? If not, you need to! Youā€™ll need as much help & guidance possible, for dorm selection. With a February deposit date, thatā€™s pretty low/late. If your daughter could match with someone who paid deposit in the fall, that would help her.

Looking for some feedback on vibes parents are getting on the Aerospace program. Iā€™m sure many parents with kiddos hoping to go into Aerospace have done some investigating.

We spent two days earlier this week on campus doing tours, meetings, events, etc. It was an absolutely awesome visit. As parents, we were most excited that our son had a chance to connect with a handful of current engineering students. As an OSS family, this was our sonā€™s big chance to really dig in before making a decision. By the time we hit the airport to head home, he was 100% sure he wants to be an Aggie.

Since then, weā€™ve been reading a great deal of negative feedback on the parentā€™s FB page about the Aerospace program. In summary, weā€™ve read that the professors arenā€™t interested in teaching and only concerned about research. Students feel lost and frustrated with many changing majors.

As parents, we have taken a back seat and let our son do he investigating and make his decision. We have guided a little but believe itā€™s his process and decision.

As parents, we are concerned about the feedback weā€™re reading. We know there are always two sides to a situation but the feedback the past few days has been overwhelming.

Any other Class of 2026 Engineering students getting nervous? Maybe itā€™s just Aerospace?

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t let this stop your student or keep them from A&M. This is common at many universities. I actually enjoyed and learned better in my community college courses because the instructors were skilled at teaching (not because it was less rigorous as some say). My instructors at my university (not A&M) were researchers first and were not particularly skilled at teaching difficult concepts to undergrads. They do teach grad students well and I did particularly well in grad school. Bottom line: Professors are going to be hit or miss at how well they teach at any college or university.

2 Likes

@kcmodad , parent of an incoming Engineering student focusing on Mechanical Engineering (another popular major) here. Not nervous. Excited for the challenge.

If your son has a good foundation of calculus, physics, and chemistry in high school, and he hits the ground running in college, he should be fine with ETAM. I see in your previous posts that heā€™s NMF. Heā€™s got the chops.

Professors more interested in research than teaching? What else is new. Thatā€™s how I always remembered life in the big university. Self-motivation and a do-whatever-it-takes attitude will go far ā€“ in school and in life.

Sure, thereā€™s a lot of griping on social media. Thatā€™s what people do. But rise above it.

2 Likes

@kcmodad you must be talking about the Engineering Parent page?? Iā€™m not on that (Iā€™m a Mays mom), but I donā€™t recall seeing any Aerospace specific/research chatter on the main Aggie Parent pages.

Take it with a grain of salt. Many of those parents may be engineers themselves, so theyā€™re comparing their programs? Some may be listening to their kid, who is a total whiner, or barely getting by, so theyā€™re disheartened in general. There will always be parents who complain, find fault, and are never satisfied with anythingšŸ™„

If youā€™ve got an incoming freshman, personally I wouldnā€™t focus solely on the Aerospace program, especially since theyā€™re all General Engineering. Focus on knowing ETAM inā€™s & outā€™s, campus life & involvement, doing whatever you can to make your student prepared, well rounded and successfulā€¦. THIS IS KEY!

You may not think it now, but once your student completes the ETAM process, they may find they have a different interest (Iā€™ve personally seen this happen, with Aerospace). Have them join a club/org that is space/aero related-Iā€™ve seen several really cool ones mentioned. Aerospace is one of the very small, super competitive disciplines to get intoā€¦so it canā€™t be that bad.

Yes, I read those comments too. My junior aero eng was warned that spring semester junior year would be the most challenging semester of all (4 - 3 credit aero classes) and that is proving to be true for him.

As an engineer, I know that these classes are extremely hard and theoretical and students expect the teachers to keep spoon feeding the material. IMHO, The teachers are just trying to force the students to learn on their own (read a book, go to the library), which is what has to happen when they get a job anyway. It is truly a test of grit and many of the FB commentators are referring to their junior aero engs.
Aero has been great for my son. He has had the opportunity to work on some amazing high impact projects for credit and also a couple of aero clubs, which is very time consuming yet challenging and hands on.

3 Likes

Awhile back somewhere there was discussion about if TAMU matched other scholarship offers or not. My daughter just told me that she had read it in the Scholarship Handbook that they mailed to her. Bless her heart she had read through it all, not just skimmed it like I did. I only looked at the scholarships she has received but she read the descriptions of all of the available scholarships in the entire handbook and one of the scholarships is:

Aggieland Bound Scholarship
Aggieland Bound Scholarships are offered to incoming freshman based on review of competitive scholarship offers from other schools. This scholarship is offered by the Office of Admissions. This scholarship is funded by Texas A&M University.
One-Time or Multi-Year: Multi-Year
Minimum Enrollment: Full-time
Renewal GPR: 3.0
30/60/90: Yes

1 Like

2 Likes

This spring (2022) ETAM will be interesting. I was told the ETAM application opens today.

1 Like

They do. My nephew is doing his now.

This just posted on A&M Transportation page. Couple things to know:
*parking is a true lottery draw, based on seniority
(doesnā€™t matter if you sign up first day or last)
*on campus freshman are guaranteed a space, as
as long as they register before the deadline, BUT
they arenā€™t guaranteed their #1 pick/choice. Donā€™t
be surprised if they get West Campus Garage.
*off campus students are NOT guaranteed a space
(why it is soooo important to live on the A&M bus
route, if living off campus)
*Do NOT sign up for parking until you have gone
thru dorm selectionā—ļø
*Follow this page on Instagram and Facebook for
good updates & posts about ALL things parking,
game day & special event traffic updates, road
closures & more.

https://transport.tamu.edu/

1 Like