Aggie Class of 2024.. advice before you hit submit on application

@52AG82 We’re from a small town. Any recs on where to look to hire a college coach/counselor/3rd party person to review essay & application. I would like to have someone other than the high school english teacher who advised students to wait until September to begin their applications.
Thank you

@Tam1233 not sure I can help you there. I’m in a large city, so I’ve got a wealth of resources. Do you know any former high school counselors?
I can’t even imagine a teacher would suggest waiting until September to START their applications?! Akkk! Your goal needs to be having them submitted by the start of school (it gets WAY too hectic to work on apps, once the senior year starts).
A great FB page I follow is
‘Wendy Andreen, PhD-College & Career Planning’ (I’m not allowed to attach the link). I suggest following her page, and messaging her. Perhaps she can suggest ppl for you to contact?

@52AG82 Thank you for the rec. I just found her fb page last night. I’m prepared that we’ll have to do the consulting over skype and email. If you have any particular recommendations I’d love to have you PM me. Thank you!

Just to confirm. Even if you do get accepted into the college, you may not be able to get the major you desired? If so, do you just apply as soon as you can before the spots are taken up or try to build up ur resume but wait? For example, a major like Biochemistry?

@Tam1233 we’re in the DFW area and Guru Academic Advising (on Facebook as well) is who I recommend.

@Tam1233 to answer your engineering question. If your student has any interest in anything else , then they need to list that as second choice. If they only want engineering, then put as both but it won’t matter since it you aren’t accepted into engineering then you aren’t going to be accepted into engineering as second choice either.

Also, I know so many people that hired people to help with application and didn’t get in. I don’t know how much it helps. Only one essay is required. They will not look at 2. In fact that could hurt you. As in… you aren’t following the “rules”. If that changes this year… I would be shocked.

Yes apply ASAP but if you are review candidate, they will not look at your app til much later. Auto and academics are stacked and reviewed first as formality. Every application is looked at twice… at a minimum.

@AggieMomhelp thank you for explaining the 1st and 2nd choice. Makes sense now.
She’s an auto admit so I’m just looking for some help on the essays for the scholarship portion and someone to help her frame and edit the main essay. Definitely not overwriting the number of required essays.?
Thank you again for the help!

We’re going to meet with a department chair on the 25th of July. What attire do y’all suggest. I always default to dress for success and not be in jeans and an A&M T-shirt.

Definitely dress for success but not necessarily suit. Guys wear slacks or khakis and button down. Girls can do slacks and nice blouse or simple dress. It’s hot as heck so dress accordingly for that.

@mjette1
I think it depends. Is this a meeting during your NSC or one you’ve scheduled separately? If it’s during your NSC, it’s fine to be casual. They understand!

If this is a separate meeting you’ve set up AND you don’t have a lot of other things scheduled, then you can dress a little nicer (business casual) but I wouldn’t overdo it as AggieMomHelp said above.

@AggieMomhelp Thanks for your explanation regarding engineering applicants. You stated that the applications for review candidates are reviewed much later than auto and academic candidates. If my DD submits her application on July 1, will review of her application be delayed too long (because of being a review admit) for possible acceptance into the engineering program? Do any review candidates’ applications get looked at during that first round of reviews (~September)?

My DD has an ACT score of 31 (Math 30, English 31), 4.15 weighted GPA, has completed AP Physics and AP Calc BC in her junior year with As in both, and will take multivariable calculus her senior year. But, she comes from a competitive school and is not in the top 25%. Is there still hope for acceptance into engineering as a review admit?

@nukerules first and foremost… your dd sounds like a very accomplished student and regardless acceptance into tamu, she will succeed! As for engineering, it’s a different breed. Definitely apply ASAP as review candidate. Her credentials should get her into some sort of pathway into engineering. . All offers are coveted for engineering. Prep her for that just in case every pathway Is equal as far as sophomore year. Several forums on here for that!

Best of luck. Just know it will all be okay and she will succeed based on her effort and attitude.

Hi all. I am new here and to this entire process. Boy how things have changed! My child is applying to A&M and will be automatic admission. Her other option is UT where she is not auto admit. Mixed marriage–I’m an Ag and hubs is a Longhorn. Child is still working on essay and planning to take the SAT once more before applying to UT. Should she go ahead and submit her TAMU app or wait until everything is ready to submit to all of her options, hopefully by mid-September? Thanks!

Need help! My son will be an academic admit to Texas A&M (top 20% of highly competitive school, SAT 1420) and we went to regional office for a quick discussion and they told him to put 1st and 2nd choice as Engineering?! Since Engineering then has to goes to holistic review, I feel like this is putting all eggs in one basket since he could get into business immediately if it was his second choice? Am I wrong? What if we hear back in November and they only offer him Galveston, and then the business school is full? And also wouldn’t first choice be just general engineering since everyone gets assigned to it their first year anyway? Need guidance on the short answer engineering question too if anyone has any?

reading this, so don’t put engineering for both choices?

To answer the last two posters… first, congrats to both of your kiddos excellent achievements. Many will envy their position of full admit.

Frost poster: apply now, no need to wait. You don’t have to accept til May. Just making sure they get their first choice major is important. And also apply for honors if they want to.

2nd poster: if business is something else that interest them, then put at 2nd choice major. They can always do business and then minor in engineering (depending on area). If you put eng as first and second choice major, you could be waiting til February for an answer. We saw that this last cycle. @Thelma2 will be a good resource to really answer this question.

Enjoy the ride!! It’s such an exciting
Time.

@Thelma2 what do you think about not putting engineering as both choices? I guess I’m leery of the process. My daughter was not an academic admit but was in top 18% and got Blinn teamed. My son worked so hard to get academic admit, only to possibly get sent to Galveston since his 1st choice major is engineering?

@Robmom I would absolutely submit your A&M application early-by August 1. If nothing else, to get earliest acceptance so you can pay $75 Housing deposit! To have the best Housing options, it’s critical to get the early acceptance & pay deposit within minutes of acceptance. Not kidding. Also, by applying early, you can get a jump start on picking a major (for example, Business and Visualization fill up quickly, and when those spots are gone, they’re gone).
By applying to A&M, it doesn’t mean you’re going, but choices are always great to have.

Do you mean the essay on the SAT/ACT?? My D has a 1590 on SAT w/o essay.

Does TAMU require the essay on the SAT? I don’t see where they require the SAT with essay. I am confused.