Airline points credit cards

<p>We don’t use credit cards, have not had one in years. But with DS headed to UA in the fall, we figure we will be purchasing many plane tickets. Most of the flying will be done on Southwest, I am sure. </p>

<p>Anyone with experience with Southwests credit card through Chase that earns air miles? Or another card that they like better? </p>

<p>Thanks for any advice!</p>

<p>i don’t think you can beat the southwest deal … 2 free roundtrips last time i looked.</p>

<p>Thanks Mike…anyone else have experience with these good or bad?</p>

<p>I have had great luck using Southwest rewards. My daughter turned 18 at Christmas, so she will be getting her own card which will give us two free flights to BAMA! </p>

<p>Sent from my Susan’s iPhone using CC</p>

<p>I don’t use airline miles for my trips to/from UA as I’m not usually flying during a time when the less expensive saver awards are available. </p>

<p>I’d suggest considering Delta’s American Express as it gives priority boarding, one free checked bag, and 20% off inflight purchases such as food and movies. Keep in mind that the person travelling needs to be the primary cardholder (a parent can be the cosigner) in order to get the benefits. I don’t remember where your family lives, but United also offers a similar credit card.</p>

<p>Thanks seatide, we live in MAryland. Closest airport is BWI. I’ll look at both of those options too!</p>

<p>If you go with the Chase/Southwest, don’t sign up until the promo is 50k miles. That comes and goes. We got the the card a few months ago when Bama became the likely choice but haven’t booked any flights yet, so can’t share any experience with you.</p>

<p>We have the Chase Visa Southwest card and have received the then-promotion of a free round trip ticket with first purchase. We’ve also received another additional free ticket from points accumulated through purchases since. There is an annual fee but seems worth the price for the free tickets. The free tickets have been awarded hassle-free. We like Southwest since there are no fees for schedule changes or luggage (two free check-in), and money is not lost if you cancel a flight since the money will be retained as a credit in your account. In our experience, flights have arrived/departed on time and even early. During severe weather, flights can be rescheduled at no additional cost.</p>

<p>Someone told me Capital One also has a good airline mileage card as it has no airline restrictions or blackout dates, but I don’t have any information on that one.</p>

<p>Visit [Top</a> Deals | The Points Guy](<a href=“http://thepointsguy.com/top-deals/]Top”>Best Credit Cards of July 2023 - The Points Guy)
This blog discusses ways to maximize cc offerings.</p>

<p>thanks for all of the advice everyone…!!!</p>

<p>It’s worth mentioning that bama is one of the few schools we found that allows you to pay your entire bill (tuition, housing, meal plan, etc) with a credit card - - and no service fee for doing so. </p>

<p>The miles earned for those charges alone are substantial!! </p>

<p>I only use a Citi card that earns AA miles and try to time my bama payments when they are offering 1.5 miles for each dollar charged.</p>

<p>Looks like Chase has revived the Southwest Airline premier card with 50k sign up. Saw the link for it on SW front page on their website.</p>

<p><a href=“https://applynowdc1.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?CELL=6LVN&PROMO=DF01&SPID=DT59[/url]”>https://applynowdc1.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?CELL=6LVN&PROMO=DF01&SPID=DT59&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>We have used the Southwest credit card for years. Our youngest has significant medical needs, and we fly to St. Louis twice a year to visit the children’s hospital there. You only have to make one purchase and pay a small annual fee (I think it’s $57) and you have two free round trip tickets. Then there’s the $5 booking fee!! All that to say, the Southwest credit card is great, no strings attached.</p>

<p>Thanks, we did decide to go with the Chase Southwest card. It seemed to be the least restricted, and they are the airline we will use the most. </p>

<p>Now I just have to figure out which bills to pay with the card then pay the balance each month to earn the points!</p>

<p>Thanks for everyone’s advice!</p>

<p>Between S’s plane fares during the academic year, hotel fees in Tuscaloosa, major appliance purchases, Christmas and vacation expenses, we’ve gotten enough points on our SW visa for a free round trip ticket and working our way to another one. We carry no balance on the card.</p>

<p>I receive info about this card in the mail frequently. Can anyone tell me if you have to hold on to the card for a certain amount of time? I would love to get the card, get my 2 free flights and get out before having to pay the second year annual fee.</p>

<p>I know that the flights are credited when you make your first purchase- regardless of the purchase amt. We were not told of any wait time before we could use the miles. </p>

<p>For those that have this card, can you use the miles for tickets for your children? Or are you limited to the cardholders for the plane tickets?</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC App</p>

<p>The card is in my name but the points earned are transferrable to my son’s ticket.</p>

<p>vlines…if you are talking about the Southwest Card, the points can be used toward a ticket for anyone. Once you pick the flights you just put in the name of the person who the ticket is for.</p>

<p>You can absolutely get out after just one purchase on the card.</p>