Southwest credit card

<p>So I signed up for a SW credit card based upon some advice I read here on CC, but I can’t find the original email. I thought it said 2 free tickets? I didn’t receive anything, just a drop in my credit score. Apart from a bonus I your year anniversary (after you pay the $90 fee) I’m not seeing the benefits. S’s flights don’t benefit me for miles & he is the one flying SW. What am I missing?</p>

<p>How did you apply for it? Did you use a link that says they will give you 2 tickets?</p>

<p>Have you asked for the rules? How old is your card?</p>

<p>I think the rule for the points says you need to spend 2 or 3k over a 2 or 3 month period. So if it is older than 3 months, you may not get anything.</p>

<p>I believe you are supposed to get 50K miles in your account once you spend $2000 on the card, which equates to approximately 2 round trip tix, although I think the points needed for flights varies greatly. I was told you could transfer points to another FF member, so I am planning to transfer mine to my son once they post to my account. Then he can use them. I don’t know if it will end up being worth it to renew at the end of the year, but just getting the 50K points for $80 seemed worth it.</p>

<p>$90? Get a capital one…miles work on any airline and no annual fee. If the sw card works like aa Usually they will credit ur miles account after you spend a certain dollar amount within a certain time limit.</p>

<p>As the others have said, there is often a minimum spend requirement. The free tickets will either come in a separate mailing or will appear on your rapid rewards account.</p>

<p>While more complicated, you should have considered opening the credit card in your son’s name with you as a cosigner so his Rapid Rewards account could be tied to the credit card and he could “piggyback” on your good credit. This would allow him to combine the points earned from his paid flights with those earned from the credit card.</p>

<p>Transferring miles costs a lot of money usually (they charge a fee per thousand). I normally book tickets for my family members from my account for reward travel.</p>

<p>The recent card we got specified a timelimit also of 3 months to spend the 2k.</p>

<p>Not all card deals are equal either. I assumed they were and signed up for a card while booking a ticket last year and all I got was a 100 dollar discount on the ticket with no miles at all later.</p>

<p>I signed up too a couple of months ago based on the advise here. It was definitely spend $2000 in three months and get 50,000 points which will buy 2 round trip tickets most places or even more if you get cheap deals. I don’t have the email either and just hope I get my 50,000 miles! I have had my card about a month. I am going to charge DS’s tuition and fees at USC on it to capitalize on my points this month! My annual fee is $69 though!</p>

<p>Against my better judgement, I woke up a hibernating visa to get double points on my $24K this year. (Not Southwest or one of the national commercial bank names.)</p>

<p>I seem to be jinxed. I have friends and colleagues that can play a miles/points card like a Stradivarius. </p>

<p>I always end up with fake discounts on Sky Mall products, or 8% off the price of a resort I wouldn’t visit unless a judge sentenced me to go.</p>

<p>SEA_tide - I tried to do it in my son’s name, but they said that they don’t allow cosigners on reward cards, and he didn’t qualify on his own. That would have been easier.</p>

<p>texaspg - I checked the SW site and you are right that it costs money to transfer points. So I will just book his tickets with my points.</p>

<p>We have already spent the minimum, so hopefully the 50,000 miles will post soon. I already bought his tix for Christmas break though, so I guess I don’t really need them anytime too soon.</p>

<p>Strange lisa6191. I added my DD who was 15 at the time on my card. She is probably just an authorized user though not a co-signer. I book all our tickets from my rapid rewards account as I travel across country at least once a month on SWA. DS flies to LA for school on my points and hopefully come 2014, DD will be going to Alabama in my points too!</p>

<p>This is the offer I signed up for:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1520196-southwest-50k-points-credit-card-offer.html?highlight=southwest+credit+card[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1520196-southwest-50k-points-credit-card-offer.html?highlight=southwest+credit+card&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^^^ See? I can add NC Mom to my Stradivarius friend list. I’m glad it works for some.</p>

<p>I’ll let you know when I get that expiring-points coupon for 10% off a memory foam pet bed.</p>

<p>Don’t add me until I get the points! I will let you know. I might just be out $69. I have never paid for a credit card before!!</p>

<p>Chase (the issuer of the Rapid Rewards Visa) seems to go back and forth in terms of allowing cosigners. On a related note, I’ve ran into a lot of financial institutions which don’t accurately code for/understand community property laws which in certain states allow a person to state their spouse’s earnings as their own on a credit card/loan application.</p>

<p>There is rarely a need to transfer points to another persons account instead of just booking their ticket out of your account. Some programs have had promotions which effectively allowed one to buy points very cheaply when transferring other points, but I don’t recall Southwest having such a promotion.</p>

<p>We’ve had our boys added as authorized users to our credit cards since they were very young (10) or so. We didn’t give them the physical card to hold on too full time, we just gave it to them when they went shopping for clothes or sneakers etc. The key is to give your child’s social security number to the credit card issuer along with their full names. Without the social security number the card won’t attach to a credit card history for them. In New York when you add a authorized user they specifically ask if you want to add their social security number. It’s not required for authorized users.</p>

<p>We use the Capital One Venture card. We received 30000 points for signing up and receive double points on all purchases. It’s $69 a year but well worth it. I bought our Parents Weekend tickets and sons Thanksgiving and Christmas/Holiday tickets on points alone.</p>

<p>The reason most students are denied credit cards with rewards points is that most of the TOP rewards point cards require EXCELLENT credit. Go to credit card dot com and view the best rewards cards and you will see that this is the case with most.</p>

<p>I called to activate the card as it already was listed on my credit report as a new account & I figured canceling it would cause a ding. They asked me if I wanted to go over the benefits & (recorded the call for customer service purposes) and they told me I had the 50K bonus for $2000 in purchases in the first 3 months. That’s great, it’s 2 RT tickets. Something occasionally goes my way.</p>